Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get rid of the stock air boxes on my cb350 twin. If I get pods (or something similar), will I need to jet it? Or does it matter which filters I get? I did some searching of the forums but seemed to find conflicting answers.
By the way, I have 2-1 exhaust but no other mods yet.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My experience with my son's S90... we had eliminated the airbox and installed a free flow exhaust, without changing the jetting...we cooked the rings within a few miles. ( there may have been other factors, but the rings welded themselves to the cylinder on the exhaust side )
I'd suggest going up 1 main jet size to be safe, then ride it and do a plug check. Can't hurt anyway...
I'd also recommend K&N style paper elements, as opposed to foam, for the street. Easier to clean.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i know guys racing stock cb350's with out jetting changes with a pipe and no filters. i went up one size on both jets and it looks to run a little rich in that configuration. that was before my 2-2 megs. try what fr says though. just be sure to do a hot chop on the way back the house one day if you can. if you can get it to speed, thats the best. or, pull of the freeway down a ramp you know and check the plugs there.

jc

Edited by - joe c on Feb 12 2005 6:16:21 PM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I agree with FR too.
Better safe than sorry. Much depends on what jets are in the bike now, how good the pipes work, how the filters flow.
I've seen bikes that seem to run leaner WITH filters installed, and some that some that run richer. Depends on the filter and the carb.
Honda tends to jet lean from the factory.
I think on any street bike where performance is not the last word it doesn't hurt to run a tad rich. Keeps the engine cooler and avoids disasters.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dot forget that those cv jets have orings that are 30 years old and leaking gas to casue a rich mix too. and, i have seen bikes run as lean with filters. the k&ns i have heard are especially restrictive. like you dont need to rejet with them. like jb said, it really depends on the bike though.

jc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. I guess every bike is different so i'll have to just try a few things and see what happens. I don't really need extremly high-flow filters, so maybe i won't have to do too much. we'll see.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
"I guess every bike is different so i'll have to just try a few things and see what happens. I don't really need extremly high-flow filters, so maybe i won't have to do too much. we'll see"

Need? No, it's all about the right look dude...

FR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts