Cafe Racer Forum banner

New American Built Sport Bike

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  jbranson 
#1 ·
11/1/2004
American Company Seeks Investors To Finance Production Of V-Twin Sportbike

From a press release:

Roehr Motorcycle Company looks to put America on the Sports Bike map.

The Roehr Motorcycle Company is pleased to announce completion of the Rv1000 prototype and is currently seeking financing for production of the first 50 units.

Designed by company founder Walter Roehrich, the Rv1000's beautiful, smooth flowing, sensual lines produce a emotionally striking design that is both elegant and aggressive.

The Rv1000 is powered by a 120 HP, 936cc, liquid cooled 60deg. V-twin with DOHC 4-valve cylinder heads. At 100lbs. this engine is the lightest and most compact large displacement twin cylinder engine in the industry. This engine is the key ingredient to the character and overall light weight of the 335 lb. Rv1000.

The Rv1000 features the finest quality cycle components in the industry. Suspension from Ohlins, brakes from Brembo and wheels from Marchesini.

Engine:

- 936cc liquid cooled DOHC 8 valve 60deg. V-twin
- 95mm x 66mm Bore x Stroke
- Nikasil lined aluminum cylinders
- 6 speed transmission with multi-plate wet clutch
- Combination chain/gear driven camshafts for ultra compact shim under bucket design cylinder head design
- Separate straight shot intake ports per intake valve
- Electronic engine management system with spark plug top coils
- 4 x 32mm throttle bodies with one injector per intake valve

Chassis:

- Chrome-moly steel tube trellis frame with rubber mounted semi stressed engine
- Swingarm pivoting through rear of engine case
- 23 deg. Rake 89mm trail
- 54 inch wheelbase
- Lightweight Marchesini forged aluminum wheels. 3.5x17 frt. 5.5x17 rear
- 43mm Ohlins upside down titanium nitride coated front forks
- 2 x 320mm Brembo front brake rotors with 2 x 4 piston Brembo front calipers

Unique design features:

- An under-engine fuel tank for better mass centralization and less effect on weight balance with varying fuel loads. This also allows more space for a suitably sized airbox for optimized engine performance.
- Single link-less rear suspension unit saves weight and takes advantage of the superior dampening capabilities of the Ohlins rear shock.
- Digital dash display provides an analog tachometer with multi-function display and lap timing capabilities.
- A ram air system with a centrally located intake duct in the leading edge of the nose provides cool high pressure air for maximum performance.
- Carbon Fiber body work

The Roehr Motorcycle Company is passionately committed to producing beautifully designed high performance Sport Bikes made in the USA.

The Rv1000 is the first in a line of machines from Roehr Motorcycles that will feature unique design solutions to advance the state of the art and deliver superior performance, beauty, and lasting value.

The Roehr Rv1000 prototype is currently undergoing final development and testing for a planned release in early 2006 with a targeted retail price of $22,995, providing the necessary financing can be obtained.

Interested parties can contact the Roehr Motorcycle Company at: wroehrich@roehrmotorcycles.com or visit www.roehrmotorcycles.com

Champ

See less See more
#2 ·
quote:
The Rv1000 is powered by a 120 HP, 936cc, liquid cooled 60deg. V-twin with DOHC 4-valve cylinder heads. At 100lbs. this engine is the lightest and most compact large displacement twin cylinder engine in the industry. This engine is the key ingredient to the character and overall light weight of the 335 lb. Rv1000.

Buell and Ducati lovechild, with KTM as the mailman that makes "extended deliveries"...

Nice.

#3 ·
Yea Unga,

It's amazing how many people try to compete with the European and Japanese manufactures. Nobody can seem to beak into the market though. Look at Britten, Indian, Guzzi is waning, Aprilia is sucking wind, Victory is just barely making it. Hey don't get me wrong I hope they make it.

Champ

#4 ·
John,
I agree, hard market to break into. I hope them the best but it's hard to get excited about what usually ends up being something that performs considerably worse than what's out there and usually costs twice as much. Pathetic that this country can't find a way to produce a top notch sportbike at a competitive price. Even Triumph in the UK just barely holds on every year. They say BMW is just a bit better than a breakeven marque that still has to be supported by the parent company...most Italian makers are constantly on the verge of some kind of collapse.
Hey...Japan ain't no third world country anymore, they pay high wages to highly skilled workers and produce some of the best products in the world...someone should really try to figure out how they are doing it. Ducati is probably the only major manufacturer right now that is really pushing the limits of design/manufacturing technology (other than the Japanese), they say they can go from computer screen to running prototype in less than six months. But with their limited sales numbers, price position in the market and supply and service problems that just won't go away, they have a hard time leveraging their technology into real profit.

Anyway...freakin amazing the technology and performance the Japanese can wring out of mass produced affordable motorcycles.
JohnnyB

#5 ·
bmw apparently has some kind of new "superbike" they are going to have out in the next year or so. i love the triumphs. 595 and speed triple were awesome bikes. they looked so good and sound great. i really like the triumphs, if they could just get that last bie out of them they need, i think they could do it. but its alwasy that last bit right??

jc

#6 ·
i think i read about the BMW...it's retarded fast, but in classic BMW fashion it's a "sport-tourer" so as not to attract attacks from sport bikers. fine with me, i think it plays perfectly to BMW's market, you can't sell a rocket sportbike to 50 year old doctors.
this Roehr sounds interesting. i want someone else to try to ride it fast before me. if you could make a 120hp and 335lbs V-twin sportbike for $23K, wouldn't ducati have done it by now? is anyone else worried? however, ever since i rode Joe Ruth's RSV Mille i've been a believer in 60 degree V-twins.
i think the U.S. could have produced a competitive sportbike if Harley had just up an' bought Britten. my dad told me a great story about being in the "Art of the Motorcycle" exhibit in NYC a few years ago. he saw Willy Davidson looking at jim hunter's Britten and saying stuff like, "hey, check that out, it's got this-an-that...motor looks like a harley". how could he not have known about that bike? it's what the VR1000 could have been, if they had been paying attention. it's not like they don't have the money, that VR1000 effort had sponsorship from Ford for crying out loud.

Z

who the hell am i kidding, i'd be the guinea pig for the Roehr. tomorrow.

#7 ·
I'd be a gerble, I mean a guinea pig for Branson any day but thats it. Unfortunately marketing plays so much of an important part of popular or supported items. I'd like to see them do well for themselves, but the "freakin amazing the technology and performance the Japanese can wring out of mass produced affordable motorcycles" is hard to beat. My favorite bike I've driven in the last couple of years was an RSV Mille, but for a lot less money I probably could get the same performance and be part of a hip Japanese Leg Warmer gang.

Retarded is a great word and fast is also a great word. The fact they mean the opposite and put together in a sentence is some how even greater.

See how how it works

Joes retarded - "Good"
Zacks retarded fast - "Very Good"

Aaron - I out loud cry about Ford

#9 ·
I took a Ducati 748 for a 100 mile ride and I got to say I couldn't own one cause I'd kill my self!!! The bike is serious sick. I had it up to 135mph in 5th and shifted into 6th to get to the rev limiter. The machine just loved to GO FAST. Sweet power band and the chassis was just perfect. I think i'll stick to my old klunkers. Although that SV650 seems like a really cool ride.

Champ

#11 ·
How do the japs do it?
1. They own the government (no OSHA, no EPA, no environmental studies, no property taxes, no affirmative action hiring)
2. No unions.

Willy G? WG hasn't had a clue for 30 years, and no one on the staff is going to tell him.

Need help with your Mikuni VM? Click here:
http://victorylibrary.com/MIK-BT.htm

#12 ·
When the AMA was at LoudonI had the chance to get up close to all the factory teams. I must say I was REALLY impressed with the H-D VR1000 which turned out to be the proving ground for the V-Rod. I have some cool photos of the bike totally torn down and had nice chats with all their riders. I think the VR would have made a super road bike. hey, maybe some day.

Champ

#13 ·
Panic...

First of all they are Japanese..not "Japs".

Second of all the have more stringent environmental laws than we do, their average pay is higher, they pay taxes like everyone else and they have better retirement benefits.

Of course a whole bunch of what they sell us is built here in the US...where there is an EPA, OSHA, property tax etc etc.

JohnnyB

In fact I think a typical Honda Goldwing has about same percentage of the bike built in the USA as a Harley does. Neither one of which qualify for the "Made in American designation" because not enough of the entire package is actually made in America.

Edited by - jbranson on Nov 02 2004 7:12:03 PM

#14 ·
"champ" - you were impressed by the VR-1000? i'm interested in details. i remember thinking that it looked pretty good and sounded awesome, but other than that there wasn't much to be impressed with. but i was like 14 when i saw the VR-1000 in action, so i probly missed some stuff. anyway, let me know what it was you liked.

Z

#15 ·
quote:
"champ" - you were impressed by the VR-1000? i'm interested in details. i remember thinking that it looked pretty good and sounded awesome, but other than that there wasn't much to be impressed with. but i was like 14 when i saw the VR-1000 in action, so i probly missed some stuff. anyway, let me know what it was you liked.
Funny how all of Harleys $dough and knowledge couldn't build a 60deg twin that was reliable and made decent power. Or handled well.
The AMA only let it race because it was harley. Superbikes need to be based on a streetbike, but the VR1000 was only street legal in Poland.

But Aprillia could do it and win WSBK races in their 1st or 2nd year. Harleys are crap, always have been always will be.

#16 ·
"Second of all the have more stringent environmental laws than we do, their average pay is higher, they pay taxes like everyone else and they have better retirement benefits."

Read directly from their tourist literature?
None of that is true. You just won't get better information here.

Need help with your Mikuni VM? Click here:
http://victorylibrary.com/MIK-BT.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.