Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought this 71' sl350 today. the engine looks clean. there are no obvious oil leaks and compression is good, the tires look solid. the guy told me he had it four months, and that it ran strong when he got it, but never ran again after he put in carb kits. i'm not sure what to say about the paint...i actually liked it better in person, the light shell and seat have matching details as well but the thick clear coat has cracked really bad over most of it interfering with the dazzle of the pearlesent white. if they were in better shape i'd sell the entire set rather than repaint it. as it stands it makes me think of my little pony. all it needs a braided horses tail with a bow.

these are the photos from the add. i'll post a few better ones after i pick it up.

i haven't posted my 70'cl350 cause i wasn't up to the ridicule i would receive due to the clubmans. a blown head gasket has become a full restoration so i'm hoping to get some miles out of this one and take the pressure off finishing the cl so i can do it right.

...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jun 26 2007 02:09:13 AM

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
dude, I definitely need that tank so I can hang it next to my 77 550 tank with a panther painted on it.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
dude, I definitely need that tank so I can hang it next to my 77 550 tank with a panther painted on it.

JD

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i think the former owner was WAY into the movie TRON.

you are purchasing a honda sl350 lightcycle, sweet!

texy

p.s.- from the pic posted, it doesn't look like an sl frame.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts

texy

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:

texy

Good call dude. (That was my gut reaction on the tank too.) This must be Observant Texy!

FR

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
quote:
the guy told me he had it four months, and that it ran strong when he got it, but never ran again after he put in carb kits.
Probably used the infamous Keyster carb kits. I think Geeto shed some light on those kits having jets that don't work. I used one of their kits on my CB125, and it's really hard to start, and won't idle. I suspect the pilot jet is way off.

FR

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
tex is right but i think the pic is deceiving. looks like an oil fill in front of the motor. an sl.

the body work is sweet. thatd go great in my collection of cool 350 twin tanks. or even better....i know a guy who needs body work and loves sl tanks on his racer......oh, and his is crushed right now.

jc

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
from what i gather i'm pretty sure he used new floats from the kit and didn't adjust the tang before installing them. if need be i can use the carbs from my cl for now.

i'll let everyone know what is going to come of the tank. i have spares from a cl350, cb350f, 68' kawa avenger no doubt one of those will make onto this bike soon.

now if it would just stop raining for a day ...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if the job is one of those old laquer jobs, which I am guessing it is by the sheer fact that it cracked, then some wetsanding and polish could potentially save it.

Old laquers were generally a single stage paint but there were some guys who used laquer clear over base laquers for special paint jobs like candys and paneling. With laquer, rubbing can usually clear up imperfections by actually melting the paint into the cracks and filling it in. It cant hurt to try, all you lose is time.

If it were me I would wetsand with 600 grit, then 1000 grit then 1500 grit, then a polishing compound and a final glaze. Who knows you might be able to save it afterall.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is that old lacquer business mixed with glitter like those old helmets i'm set on losing the tank so i'm not sure it it's worth the time besides there is staining in the cracks and some fading on one side. not to mention i'm pretty set on losing the tank, doesn't follow the lines i'm trying to create.

once i get it running i'm going to swap the front end with the one from my cl, throw in some tapered bearings and put a set of lower shocks on the rear. i'm eyeballing a set of clip-ons and rearsets on ebay.

by the way i'm looking for a straight set of ears and shrouds from a cb350 for my other project if anyone has a pair floating around. we can talk money or parts trade. i have a cj360 basketcase and a 350 parts bike with a shit engine.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
people don't realize it but that old paneling job stuff is going the way of the dodo at a pretty fast rate. While modern paint is so much better in a lot of ways the style of those old paint jobs is not really being replicated too much and original examples are destroyed often. If you can save it, hang it on the wall, admire it, someday your grand kids are going to ask you about it and you can say well that is just they way it was done back then.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
i'm the guy joeC is talking about with the recently crushed SL tank. i would totally rock that SL tank on my racebike....i have some pretty clean CB stuff, including headlight ears i think. i'd trade anything i have for that tank. seriously, i'm diggin' the tron-tank.

-tt

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here are some better picts...

here's the run down. you can see pretty well the crackle and staining in the lacquer. the headlight is pretty sweet i don't think i can paint over that but the seat has some real damage on it and i'm spread too thin to spring for another fiberglass seat in order to save this one.

i was pretty happy to see the frame has already been shortened on the back end and there is an intelligent bracketing system for the seat. that will give me room to hide a SLA battery beneath it
i pulled the carbs and as i figured he had tightened the fuel screws in all the way in and the kit he put in it is for a later model sl carb so there are spare unusable parts. as for the carb bodies, there is some chalky oxidation in the smooth areas of the venturi. how might i best clean that?
eventually i'll make a new harness to replace this ratty one and hide a battery beneath the seat. the points look too clean to be very old though i know this guy didn't touch them. that pos rectifier will be replaced with a diy one today. so there it is...

any suggestions as to where i should look for one of those funnels to cap my exhaust?

i'm with you when it comes to preservation i love old shit, my house has so much old shit it smells like your grandmothers closet. the problem is that i don't own my home and so i have to haul this shit around with me. so i'd just as soon find someone else with the same mind set.

ttilghman you can consider the tank yours, i might be persuaded to part with theseat and/or light as well but as i'd have to come out of that trade with another seat. either way i just squandered all my cash on this pig and it will be a week or so before i can ship it. what i'm looking for specificly are cb350 or 350f ears and the tubes that cover the shocks, with the chrome. the paint can be shit i just need some that aren't mushed. if you can dig up all or any part of that set up you'd make me very happy. cheers...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jun 27 2007 3:50:19 PM

Edited by - snorkelfork on Jun 27 2007 3:56:05 PM

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
snorkel-

i have a set of CB350 ears that cover the fork tubes between the triple clamps. they're the goldish/burnt orange color and the paint is decent. i have a 350 stock seat in near perfect condition if you want to try that for anything. otherwise i have most all the street gear from one CB350 (save for the OEM tank that is also smashed) OEM muffs and headers, sidecovers, headlight bucket, blinkers and brake lights, airbox, etc.

send me an email at [email protected] when you get a chance and we'll see what else.

thanks-
tt

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i got to get a copy of tron on dvd so we can show it on aaronbrownvision come september summit.

tron rocks!

texy

p.s.- tt, i'm happy that your on the road to recovery and damn jealous that you'll be rocking the tron tank!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts