Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
That's a good looking survivor. The Kawi's of that era seem to be fairly scarce, I can't remember the last time I saw a 400 for sale.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's why I bought it. For me the opportunity to buy an original in good shape doesn't come up often, I liked it because it was in such nice shape. I'm really looking for a big bore penton to ride at Chadwick but this was too nice to pass up.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Nice looking bike!
Mod it for safety and reliability. Those mods never are wrong.

·
Registered
23,292 Posts
well you should mod it a little - new fork oil in a heavier weight, better shocks, new modern tires, new brake pads, maybe an electronic ignition if they make one. Stuff that makes the bike better to ride is always a plus.

I've owned two kz400s, and as such have mixed feelings about the kwaka parallel twins. They are fairly robust and reliable, I just don't think they make good high performance small machines because of the amount of spinning chains inside them. I haven't seen a fastback version of one in a long time so that's a nice score. It's funny I have one of those later kz400 tanks on my shelf although I have no idea where it came from, probably gonna use it on my bmw.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's been sitting for awhile. I've gone through the entire maintenance schedule. Cam chain adjustment, valves, points gap, ignition timing, etc. Hard to start.

Completely disassembled carbs this evening. I work at a large car dealership so I'm going to try to round up some new o rings from the kia guys and blow out the carbs tomorrow with the air hose. I might need to get new pilot jet rubber plugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts