Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Managed to pick up a pretty good deal on a bike over here.
Just got my first road bike (rode motocross) 1975 suzuki GT250.
Guy I bought it from went through the whole motor and put in new crank seals etc. (showed me pics and receipts) just needs the coils and plugs hooked up and probably some other wiring shit oh and tires/tubes.
Im not into the whole tearing the shit out of a perfectly good bike just to make it look cool thing. Id rather, A. Get it running/safe. and B. Get a feel for the bike on the road and what it needs. Then in the winter since I wont be able to ride ill put some time into changing a few things up, probably some drag bars, exhaust, brakes/lines, weight reduction and paint and polishing, nothing drastic.
Just a couple questions. Any good parts sources for these bikes? Whats the deal with doing a 2 into 1 exhaust? For a two stroke I imagine this may cause some problems with backpressure in the cylinders etc. but I really hate how the dual looks and saw it on a GT550 so I figured I'd ask.
As far as suspension, would fork emulators do the trick? Or what do you think? and for the rear.
Heres a pic of her, I had to push it up 2 flights of stairs with two flat tires with the help of my buddies to get it into the apartment cause my leasing office people at my apartment are a bunch of assholes.
Anyways, a lot of writing I know, but any advice or input on the bike for a new guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

and by the way, the main thing that influenced me to get this bike (besides previously racing 2 strokes in mx and having a blast) was a quote that i saw while researching from geeto that said
"Do you know what a two stroke engine is? and do you worship satan?. If the answer to both those questions is yes, then you'll be fine."
It was at that point that I knew I would probably enjoy one of these bikes a lot more than what seems to be becoming the oversaturated market of CB's.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
2 into 1 pipes are not very successful on two strokes. Yes there are many sleds that come that way and you can buy banshee pipes like that but they are not as strong at the top end.

Choices for pipes are:
1 - Stock with clean baffles
2 - RD chambers modified to fit
3 - modified stock pipes to act as chambers in a stock looking shell
4 - custom chambers made to work with your porting.

You can add reeds at a ridiculous amount of work, but adds mid range and allows for more top end in teh right hands.

Avoid huge carbs because they don't work well on the street.

Clean up the ports and combustion chambers and cut the squish bands more accurately and fit a decent ignition but first off. get it running and running well. Then plan the upgrades starting with ignition and then rear suspension and then forks and then the motor and last of all look at tanks and seats and controls etc.

Maybe even source a 350 top end for more power.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:Originally posted by Teazer

2 into 1 pipes are not very successful on two strokes. Yes there are many sleds that come that way and you can buy banshee pipes like that but they are not as strong at the top end.

Choices for pipes are:
1 - Stock with clean baffles
2 - RD chambers modified to fit
3 - modified stock pipes to act as chambers in a stock looking shell
4 - custom chambers made to work with your porting.

You can add reeds at a ridiculous amount of work, but adds mid range and allows for more top end in teh right hands.

Avoid huge carbs because they don't work well on the street.

Clean up the ports and combustion chambers and cut the squish bands more accurately and fit a decent ignition but first off. get it running and running well. Then plan the upgrades starting with ignition and then rear suspension and then forks and then the motor and last of all look at tanks and seats and controls etc.

Maybe even source a 350 top end for more power.
thanks for the advice. what sort of ignition upgrades are we looking at? any particular company for the rear suspension?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Well.....do you worship satan? I love two strokes but have blown up almost all the ones I have owned.

Hagon for rear shocks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Well.....do you worship satan? I love two strokes but have blown up almost all the ones I have owned.

Hagon for rear shocks.
Satan tells me to brush my teeth.
Hagon website looks like theyve got some good products. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 68riviera430

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Hagon for rear shocks.
Satan tells me to brush my teeth.
Hagon website looks like theyve got some good products. Thanks.
.....didnt say brush, he said burnish!!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Nice pipes there on that 550 from Dave Higgs in the UK. Polished stainless steel and they are not cheap. I hate the sound of them but others like the "corn popping" they make.

For ignition, do a search on the web. Poweerdynamo might be tasty (at a tasty price). Newtronics used to list one IIRC or modify almost any 4 cylinder DYNA to make it work where your points currently reside.

Geeto is right about shocks. Hagon are probably the most cost effective solution. You can get fully adjustable YSS or WORKS etc, but they are much better than the chassis will ever be. Replace the swingarm bushes with bronze or needle rollers too.

At teh front end I'd start with an oil change, flush and new seals and see how that works. Good tires are always a wise investment too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts