Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been in the market for a new bike for sometime now and I have things narrowed down to two bikes (ok technically three).

bike 1: 2006 Ducati sport 1000 new leftover in yellow
Bike 1.5: 2007 Ducati "Back in Black" sport 1000 special edition
Bike 2: 2005 used ZX10 titanium special edition with less than 1000 miles on it that the ducati dealer took on trade and can't move (adult owned never been droped)

So here is the situation, I have about 2K to put down on the bike and will finance the rest. I think I can get the leftover sport for aroun $8-9K out the door, the special edition I am pretty sure I can get for $10K out the door, and I am confident I can negotiate the zx10 to $6-7K.

I rode both demo bikes (ok a new zx10) at mid-ohio and I have positives and negatives about both. right now I currently like them equally. I plan on keeping the bike for a long time, so I want to buy to own.

so what to you guys think?

Or should I sack it all, sell my soul and buy an AMS Hailwood replica:

back in black:

yellow sport 1000:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
On looks alone, I would go with the Hailwood replica!
I love the way it looks too but it costs as much as a paulsmart replica ($14,000), and it doesn't have the ohlins suspension that the paulsmart has. Also it is a wet clutch bike that can take two people (that tail is removable). Not exactly what I am looking for in a ducati. On the upside it is an AMS special edition which means it has all sorts of cool motor tuning tweaks that the stockers don't have, including rejetting to get rid of that really bad low end vibration.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:
On looks alone, I would go with the Hailwood replica!
I love the way it looks too but it costs as much as a paulsmart replica ($14,000), and it doesn't have the ohlins suspension that the paulsmart has. Also it is a wet clutch bike that can take two people (that tail is removable). Not exactly what I am looking for in a ducati. On the upside it is an AMS special edition which means it has all sorts of cool motor tuning tweaks that the stockers don't have, including rejetting to get rid of that really bad low end vibration.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jim, there was a guy selling those t-shirts at Mid-Ohio with everything from triumph to ducati on it.

Ironically enough I called over there and they have a paulsmart leftover too new in the crate, but they are not wanting to take a big hit on the bike so it is kinda out of my budget. If I could get it for $10K and finance $8K that is not bad but I don't think they will go that low for the bike.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jim, there was a guy selling those t-shirts at Mid-Ohio with everything from triumph to ducati on it.

Ironically enough I called over there and they have a paulsmart leftover too new in the crate, but they are not wanting to take a big hit on the bike so it is kinda out of my budget. If I could get it for $10K and finance $8K that is not bad but I don't think they will go that low for the bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I had the dosh it would definetely be the back in black, 2nd choice would be the yellow sport, and last the hailwood. Not that it's a the worst of the three but because I don't do fairings and it would be a cryin shame to spend all that dough and then rip them off. Enjoy that new toy Geeto...

Banned From The Pubs..
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
85 Posts
If I had the dosh it would definetely be the back in black, 2nd choice would be the yellow sport, and last the hailwood. Not that it's a the worst of the three but because I don't do fairings and it would be a cryin shame to spend all that dough and then rip them off. Enjoy that new toy Geeto...

Banned From The Pubs..
'73 CB350(RIP)
'74 CB750K3 Cafe Thriller

·
Registered
453 Posts
oh hell ya the back in black for sure
though if i were buying a new bike it'd have to be a beemer k1200r

fat people are harder to kidnap

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think that "Back in Black" is very sharp, very unique. I'd say the MHR if you are collecting...Back in Black if you are riding.

I've owned a couple of late model Ducs. Your number one consideration should be the dealer. The dealer where I bought mine had a bunch of morons working for him....so I took it to another dealer 2 hours away for the scheduled warranty servicing...also morons. If I heard one more time...we don't have that part, we don't have that tool, we don't have that computer that we need to do the service....I would have gone crazy.
Had the ST2 serviced at a dealer, including a new rear tire, took it out for a 120mph test spin before I put it on the trailer..as I was loading it on the trailer I noticed the chain was so tight it literally felt like a solid piece of metal.
Only problems with the ST2 were the headlight (sealed unit) kept going bad, clutch slave kept going bad, alternator burnt out...and some other problem I don't remember. The 996 was fairly trouble free...for a Duc. But I got totally sick of the idiots they had working on it, the lack of parts, lack of information etc. Although these were late 90's bikes. I've heard their US parts and service branches are better these days.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ducati is only making 500 "back in black" units. It is the only 2007 sport classic with a dry clutch (basically an 06 model with better paint). That is less than the paulsmart which they made 1000 of and that came with ohlins suspension.

AMS makes the hailwood and the original back in black (ducati copied them) and it is basically tailored to demand - they could make 6 or 1000 units. except for the paint the hailwood starts as a stock sport 1000 s (because it is AMS you can add everything they have to it if you want).

My local dealer is ok. They do triumphs too and my buddies with triumphs did not like them. The few people I knew with ducatis however like them a lot. They also have a bike dyno that they use to tune the customer bikes before delivery. Of course fancy tools are only as good as the people who use them, but I think they are just ok. I don't think parts are going to be the issue (although I know the parts manager from when he used to be at the honda dealer and I am not happy with him).

Nobody is backing the zx10r? The bike is a fast as fuck starship, and way smoother than the duc, cheaper to boot. The only thing I was worried about was that jap sportbikes tend to go to crap after a while and I want to have this bike a long time.

keep the opinions coming....

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Well...you don't see a lot of high mileage Ducs. They don't appear to go to crap because they get parked as a garage decoration because they are so gad awful expensive to fix if anything major happens. That said....I loved the Ducs I've owned. Just plain neat bikes with something special about them (more due to the 90 degree twin than anything else). They hold their value better than Japanese bikes in most cases.
But short of some PASOs and Monsters and the occassional ST2 you don't see a lot of high mileage Ducs.
I sold my last Ducati and got the RC51, figured the best of both worlds, 90- V-twin and Honda reliability....course it would also be gawd awful expensive to fix if it broke.

Off hand...I'd say it would depend on how much you plan to ride the bike. Two valve Ducs are pretty durable....but if I planned on doing more than 5k miles a year I'd want the ZX10.

Now I know some guys that do lots of miles on Ducs, and will swear to their reliability...they are also excellent Ducati wrenches.

Course none of the Ducs are going to touch the ZX10 when it come to speed or hp....and with a guy your size that might be an issue. A good friend that's 6'5" 300 lbs is a bit disappointed in the performance of his R1.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the down side of weighing 2/3rds or more of the weight of the bike you are riding is that you kill the hp.

That being said I rode a new zx10r at mid-ohio and despite the instructors warnings I had no problem standing the bike on one wheel with a flick of the wrist. In fact out of approx 8 wheelies I did on that thing 6 of them were "accidental" and 2 were anticipated.

My only issue with the zx10 was comfort. The duc was comfortable in spades, but the zx10 had some space issues. If I slid all the way back on the seat it was fine, even my wrists but after a mile I would find I slid forward and my wrists were carrying the weight again. The bike just slopes too far forward. a grippier seat would fix that problem. Also the pegs were too high up, it was hard for my right foot to find the peg when pulling away from a stop sign.

I have bikes I can rack up miles on remorselessly, the duc was going to be a bike I ride solo for approx 2500 miles a year. Not a commuter piece, but pleasure riding. Considering about 1/2 my city riding and almost all of my touring riding is done two up, neither bike will really fit that bill.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
FWIW, (I don't have any Ducati ownership experience) I have a clean '97 GSF1200 Badit as my daily rider, and I sometimes wish I had a big fast twin instead, ala RC51, TL or maaaybe a Duc., but every time I do the math, I can't justify the extra cost of the big twins. Besides, the inline 4 does just fine for what I do.
Having said all that, and reviewing what you intend to do, I guess I'd go for the least expensive Duc, and be happy.
If that makes sense...

FR

·
Registered
896 Posts
go with a paul smart....when i worked at a duc dealership that was my favorite of the lot....

Ride Fast and Take Chances

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
formula one motorsports out in oakdale has a few left over sports classis. I like the S with the fairings. but out of what you picked deff the back in black. ive been on the kawi 10 and its to twitchy and not that comfortable.

no more dry clutchs for ducati?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
seems like all you get with the back in black is the black color ..now If I worked all my life for a Porsche I want it silver,a Ferrari..Has to be red.A duc has to be red or yellow.I think youd get tired of saying no no its a special color Duc.It wears on you ,it has an Identity ,in its color like Porsche and Ferrari don't get BLACK.......

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts