Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
well the bike is nowhere even close to complete. the motor is mostly there but locked up solid, thats no big deal as i do all of my own motor work. the roller is complete however. dont know if i'll cafe it or build a rigid chopper out of it. i love both styles of bike. i just need to find someone that can build a hardtail section for me, i'm nowhere near good enough with a bender and welder to do it myself.unless someone here might want it. i'm in no big rush to do anything with the bike as i've decided to do some stuff to my cb750 like reinstall the rask rearsets with brackets that will put the things where i can actually use em.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs
The motors in those 500 twins aren't worth dick. If you really want the chassis here is what you do: Find a wrecked newer triumph bonniville motor and jam it in that frame. Or better find a jap parallel twin that is not that 500T and jam it in the frame. I'd say put a sport bike 600 motor in there but the frame is too narrow.

To track down all the missing motor peices you will spend more than the bike is worth and only have a stock motor. might as well do something cool with it.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
well the bike is nowhere even close to complete. the motor is mostly there but locked up solid, thats no big deal as i do all of my own motor work. the roller is complete however. dont know if i'll cafe it or build a rigid chopper out of it. i love both styles of bike. i just need to find someone that can build a hardtail section for me, i'm nowhere near good enough with a bender and welder to do it myself.unless someone here might want it. i'm in no big rush to do anything with the bike as i've decided to do some stuff to my cb750 like reinstall the rask rearsets with brackets that will put the things where i can actually use em.

some people are like slinkies, basically useless but they still make me smile when i push them down the stairs
The motors in those 500 twins aren't worth dick. If you really want the chassis here is what you do: Find a wrecked newer triumph bonniville motor and jam it in that frame. Or better find a jap parallel twin that is not that 500T and jam it in the frame. I'd say put a sport bike 600 motor in there but the frame is too narrow.

To track down all the missing motor peices you will spend more than the bike is worth and only have a stock motor. might as well do something cool with it.

· Registered
26,142 Posts
quote:
I'm not sure what Geeto is cranking on about, my 500T is a fine bike. With a cam, a little port work, free floing tubes and some jetting it's quite a decent ride. Hell even stock it wasn't bad. I love how the 450 purists like to look down thier noses at 50 extra ccs and a better gearbox.

By spring I'll have mine down to 300 pounds give or take and around 60hp. While not current sport bike standard it'll be a fun little cafe bike that will look good too.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

Edited by - Swagger on Feb 08 2007 7:30:50 PM
A running one is a fine bike, probably worth about $1000. A cb500T with missing motor pieces is worth what ever you get parting it out because the only way of you to make a cheap running bike for cheap would be to get another running motor, which may or may not even be feasible. Pricing it out individually (ebay or otherwise) you'll fast find that you can spend $1000 on replacing any major component in that engine and that is before you address anything like the chain, sprockets, or tires, or even drop the motor in the frame. With a project like this it is easy to end up with a $2500 motorcycle worth only $1000.

I personally don't hate the 500T, I'm indifferent to it, but where the 450 attained clut status the 500T has not and is considered by many to not be an improvement over the 450.

Considering Fuzzy had a complete 450 and got rid of it, why would a 500T be a better choice?

If we were talking about a brit bike, or italian, or even a large bore jap bike like an early cb750 or z1 kawi it would be worth it, but a 500t is just asking for trouble.

That being said, they do sound great ripping up the street.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.