Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Billet rear brake torque arm courtesy of my pal John Branson in New York.

- Also added a new 2:1 exhaust from Omar's Dirt Track Racing. Looks good, is lightweight and LOUD if you romp on it. Stand by for tuning tips and ignore the coat-hanger wire bracket. I'm working on a proper bracket this week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I really like how that exhaust looks(sans coathanger). I'll take flat black over chrome any day though. Also it's good to see people using billet for useful objects and with some taste. I'm tired of going to car shows and seeing so much billet that you want to puke.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
you guys better look up "billet" before old camel pukes on you. a more descriptive piece of info might refer to the particular alloy from which the part is made. bet johnnyB can help.
-parks
ps...nice work, sharp honda.
pps...coat hangers have their uses.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a long complicated retort about how I know that "billet" used in this way is wrong but somehow it didn't get posted.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I know exactly what a "billet" is and I know that it's not a proper descriptive term for the fabricated (and nicely ball-milled) torque strap that branson made for me.

But that's the proscriptive way of looking at word usage not the descriptive one.

Personally I'm happy with "billet" used to mean "fabricated part machined from off-the-shelf aluminum alloy extrusions" also.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's the bump for?

You won't get jetting feedback until I get the new Honda jets that i've ordered this week. Unfortunately these particular Keihin jets are hard to find from the aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
"billet" or "Balled" its one sweet bike.I have a soft spot for that tank its the Bomb! Exhaust is hot in the total overall look .Details like Bransons brake stick is just the sort of detail that keeps a biker staring longer, looking for more details,a very nice touch.

Nice Bike!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
the bump was/is an attempt to move the thread up to the top of the topics list. commonly used on bbs classifieds to move your bike/car/snowblower up to the top of the list where more people will see it.

speed (and i) did it the other day after the attack by the spammer to move more current topics up, instead of some of the ones from 2002!

nice billet!

tex

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I use to fish for billet when I was a kid in the backwoods of Wisconsin. Ummmm good eats!

Real nice bike!

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
140 main jets appear to work but I just burnt a hole in the right piston. I think I pushed the limit of 91 octane CA gas with the high compression...

Oops.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I feel for you guys out west with the 91 octane. I never knew you had to deal with that until this last summer when some friends and I went out to pikes peak. I grew up with 93 and some stations around here have 98 at the pumps. I guess thats one of the few good things about living in the Midwest. Oh, and just for reference I too know the differences between alloys. I'm just using Billet as a generic term. Somewhere deep down I knew that you guys would catch me. I should have known better with you guys watching the boards.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
what compression was your engine?
loud pipes save lives, quiet pipes save engines. (hearing your engine instead)

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

Edited by - pampadori on Dec 11 2007 07:48:33 AM

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
10.5:1 with .028" squish clearance.

Before yesterday I didn't hear any pinging except the occasional knock pulling a hill after idling for a minute.

I was running about 80 on the freeway when I heard the racket of pinging even over the pipe. I got off the throttle and it went away as I slowed down. I was in the carpool lane and a loooong way from a safe place to stop so I gave it a bit more gas and one cylinder died.

A few seconds thereafter the bottom end started making a racket and it locked up. Luckily I was within short pushing distance to a bus stop - this was on an elevated freeway with no shoulder between the lane and concrete barrier. Not a fun place to push.

I pulled the plug and it was covered with melted aluminum.

I think there are three factors:

1. this was the first high-speed run on my new motor, which only has 500 miles or so
2. too much compression for the ca gas
3. The right side spark plug hole is partially stripped out - only about 1/2 of the threads are good. I think this effectively increased the heat range of the plug.

FWIW the left plug insulator is a nice, smooth brown.

I'll post pics when I get the bike home and the motor stripped down.

I really, really, really hope I didn't wipe the cams when the oil exited through the burnt piston and chunks went flying around in there.

The crank on these is roller bearing and tough as hell but i do have a spare if I burnt one or more bearings.

So far the lessons learned are:
- Don't try to commute 25 miles on a freshly built motor and loud exhaust.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
500 miles is plenty of break in.
10.5:1 isn't hairy
.028" squish (for a street motor) is.
what was the timing?...
-parks

Edited by - parks61 on Dec 11 2007 7:27:41 PM

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
im totally with parks on this one. even the 91 shouldnt have done that. but you seem like you know what youre talking about. hmmmm....

jc

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry the 500 miles was a mis-read of my ODO. Should have been 50 miles.

Stock ignition timing by the flywheel marks - I didn't degree it or anything, just set it up with the marks. Stock points, advancer seemed to work. Stock cams/cam timing.

Like I said it didn't ping before yesterday, but this is the first long-ish freeway trip.

One caveat would be that the left jug took a really long time to break in and was burning oil a little. However that's not the one that died.

I like to think I know what I'm doing but perhaps I don't and I overlooked something major. I've certainly never had a catastrophic engine failure like this before.

I'll start a new thread with the pics once I get into it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts