Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought it had been outside about a year in new mexico, only rust by battery box (no breather tube for battery), oil grime, not chopped or made to look stupid.

I bought it off CL for $250. Turns over. Havent been able to test engine because of electrical issues. So far, I've cleaned/fixed the wiring harness. New Starter solenoid, speedo cable. disassembled. cleaned frame, prep for paint. hope to paint tonight. then start cleaning/replacing some of the parts I took off.

Thinking of buying a ural headlight setup (with the speedo/indicator lights in the bucket), clip-ons, signal lights...other than the oil leak, im hoping the motor is in good shape. This is my first project, so any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I have some picture of the bike ALMOST right after i bought it. it did have the side covers and seat and headlight and wiring intact...by the time of these photos i had already begun disassembly. This gives you some idea: its in pretty good shape, but the harness was problematic, and there was a lot of acid rust and oil grime.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i repainted the frame the other day and some other pieces yesterday, started piecing it back together today...you can see my paint job here, and a pic of the motor. it needs to be cleaned; havent been able to try starting yet, since the wiring had issues but it turns over. im not planning to do any engine work. wanna actually ride it before winter.

i know its not much to look at yet, but thats where i am. thanks! this is my first project so advice is very, very welcome.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pinche, hey, nice to know theres at least one more out there!

questions:
1. where'd you get that seat set up? or did you fab?
2. what filters did you use on carbs/crankcase breather to replace stock?
3. where are your footpegs?
4. can i get a closeup on your battery/electrics solution?
5. looks great! nice bike, good to know i may someday get there...

i did start reassembly yesterday. i have clipons and a new headlight (ural speedo-in-bucket knockoff). thinking of mounting the clipons above the triple tree to avoid resizing my forktube headlight mounts. ive been tossing around the idea of a frame chop, but im still pretty uneasy about it. ideally, id like to move the seat mount tubing up as to get rid of that sloping down line...what youve done is nice as well, though.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It's just my daily rider so it's got alot of things that need to done but I've got my project in the garage that I'm gonna be turning my sights to soon. Now to your questions.
1. The seat is a Ducati 750SS style seat I got from some dirtbag on eBay...Cosmo something. The support I fabbed up in like an hour with some 1/8 aluminium panels I got from my neighboor.

I then used about a dozen washers and used the stock mount that are underneath stock seat.
2. After I tore out my airbox, I just used an autozone K&N style breather filter. I just happen to have one in my garage from an old car of mine that's long gone. The stacks were for a CB360 that I found on eBay from a guy in Sweden. I think they were Soto's or something. They were brand new but old stock he had leftover. I think I got them for like 30 bucks shipped.
3. Footpegs... the rear footpegs and mounts are gone, I've got some rearsets I'm gonna put on eventually and make new mounts. So right now I'm just using the front footpegs till I can get some time to get into the garage and make the mounts and weld them on.
4. I don't have any closeup of the battery section. I just mounted the battery where the airbox used to be and made some brackets out of a stainless ruler. It ain't pretty but it works. As for the electronics, I just hardwired everything were the fusebox used to be. lol. The wiring needs some cleaning up but suprisingly everything works and I haven't had any electric problems without running any fuses. It needs a new battery soon so a sealed unit is getting purchased and then mounted under the seat and out of view completely.
5. I think the bike is pretty rough but I get alot of compliments on it. Alot of people ask what it is and think it's older then it really is as in the style...not that it's an grungy haggered out looking bike. lol. It's fun to ride and saves me cash and keeps me busy in the garage. I still have the get the seat mounted so it sits even with the tank. Then do some body work on the tank and repaint them a darker shade of green. In the next few months, it's actually gonna get pulled apart fairly soon anyways so the engine and seat are getting used in my other bike. I'm not a fan of the CM400's frame with it's swoopy lines and whatsoever. The bike was cheap, ran and had a title so that's all I cared about. I'm still debated on even taking it apart and just picking up another engine and selling the bike. It's still all if's, and's, but's, and maybe's.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, this is the bike over the last few days and now in its current state:

i also included a drawing i did of what i would like to do for the seat/electrics/battery situation. it also involves a possible frame mod to get rid of the "swooping lines."

im thinking of moving the clipons below the triple tree instead of above, and cutting the headlight mounts to make that happen. and in the pic im using the passenger footpeg mounts as my "rearset." thinking of making something else behind em for a passenger (my lovely wife :) ). the cm400 is definitely less than ideal in terms of frame.

sadly, today i had hoped to get it started, but i apparently still have an electrical problem: ignition switch is broken. so i need a new ignition switch i guess. im starting to wonder if im in over my head :). i guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In my personal opinion even as an owner of one. It's an ugly frame. That's why my engine is going into my XS400 rolling frame. I'm just a fan of a full tube frame over the CM's ummm globulous swoopy frame. lol. Hell for my ignition switch, I just ripped it out and put a toggle switch in instead. So if you ever want a CM400T that you wouldn't have to hotwire. Just find my bike. Hahahaha. For security measures, I just drilled a single hole in my rotor and have a disc lock for it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Post pics of the lovely wife.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pinche: we share the same opinion on frames, id rather have a tubular frame, because it would be, ummm....tubular? but this is my first project, first bike, even. and i dont think i had eyes to see what i wanted or a brain to know what i wanted when i picked this up. so, ill finish it up, make it look kinda (emphasis intentional) cool. ride it a couple seasons, sell it for more than i got in it, upgrade to a CB?

judeyramone: regardless of the fact that you are geeto's GAY uncle, i dont think im going to post pictures of my wife on the internet. she wouldnt like that. in point of fact, neither would i. have a nice day :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I started to clean up my XS400 frame and now it's just a rolling frame. I really want to yank the engine in the CM but still need it to run for another month or two till it starts snowing. I never had my CM stripped down that far and never noticed how weird the frame looks. Hey I've got some EBC kevlar pads and shoes if your interested in them? The pads have less then a thousand miles on them and the shoes are brand new and still in the box.You can have them for cheap if you want?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:regardless of the fact that you are geeto's GAY uncle, i dont think im going to post pictures of my wife on the internet. she wouldnt like that. in point of fact, neither would i.
Just trying to dispel an undeserved, and untrue, rumor about me.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not that anyone's following this anymore anyway... :) (hey, it was my first thread)

BUT!

I have made a lot of progress:

1. chain is cleaned and back on.
2. headlight bucket is in. and i must say it adds a little something.
3. ignition is rewired to somewhat-hidden toggle switch. other little electrical/cable routing issues done too.
4. using mini-bullets with milled grooves for front and rear turn sigs.
5. gonna try for a cx500 tank ala borswazie's cb450 build (thanks for the tip)
6. uni pods on the way.
7. mirrors on the way.
8. trying for some f1 yamaha rearsets.

I am nearing completion, pics to come tonight.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'm excited to see it. I'm thinking I'm just gonna start tearing down my bike this week. If you need anything from it let me know.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, ok...so its still a bit of a mess. but less mess than two weeks ago.

heres a shot sans-tank/seat:

and with the current tank and seat setup:

and a few more of different angles:

note the wanky aluminum plate i bolted in the middle of the headlight bucket. there's a hole there for the stock ural turnkey ignition (its a ural bucket), which i dont have. i think ill use it for indicator lights just have to fab up something to hold the bulbs and all underneath.

the speedo is on the way, the front turn sigs are on the way, uni pods on the way, mirrors on the way. im hoping to win some rearsets on ebay tonight. im about to hit my budget cap for now...so i hope i win those.

maybe this winter i can think of a tank replacement (cx500) and fab up a rear seat solution... until then, its gonna look more or less like that^.

you cant really see, but i also cleaned and reinstalled the chain. i was thinking of using a marine dry-lube...thoughts on that? and i cleaned out the gunky reservoir and bled and resealed the front brake line. so i have at least one brake!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
sms3-

first time i looked in here, but do yourself a favor and scuff all that armorall from the earlier pics off your tires before you go out on your first test ride. but it's good for seats if you like to hang off.

i just use used motor oil to keep my chains lubed and just brush it on with an old toothbrush once/week.

tt

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ttilghman: thanks for the tip on the armor all...i guess you mean for traction, or whatev. who needs traction? :) re chain lube: ive definitely been told that motor oil works fine. i had also read something about a teflon spray-on oil...thats all.

the seat is definitely the weakest link aesthetically, but what are you gonna do?

pinche: thanks for the heads-up on parts. what are you doing with your exhaust? only other thing might be the front brake setup, as you can see my reservoir is moth scraped and the plastic is sun-damaged. if interested, email me a price.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts