Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I have an old 1976 CB 550 sitting in pieces that I'm trying to rebuild. I'm modeling it off of the Seaweed and gravel build that I attached, but I've hit a couple snags and could use some help. here are my issues-

1. I got sand in the engine from my dumb friend that decided to sand blast it while I was gone as a gift... now I need to figure out how to clean it out. what should I do?
2. I want to buy a new front end, so I was hoping that someone could tell me what would be a good low front end to use on this bike like the one from the seaweed and gravel bike?
3. I also have some pretty clean and original carbs, but they aren't black where can I get really good, but cheap black carbs
4. where can I find some straight 4 to 2 black exhaust?
5. how should I get black bolts?
6. what do I NEED to do to the engine and what should I do to make it run perfectly?

Thanks, could really use the help! I've also only got like $2,000 more to put into this... so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I didn't see a picture attached......so I googled them.....wow.....

That's fucked.

Anyway, more importantly, your engine is fucked. You need to totally strip it. Sorry. No other way.

If you try to run it with ANY sand in it it will go bang - but not in a good way.

BTW - that's a stock CB front end with shortened forks.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
That bike is a total fail and ugly too. No seat padding, no fenders, no fork brace and clown shoes. How come their stock looking bikes all look OK and their customs suck? Is it that they have no idea about motorcycle design or performance?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
.... How come their stock looking bikes all look OK and their customs suck? Is it that they have no idea about motorcycle design or performance?
Because they are selling a hipster lifestyle. Their site sells vintage clothing and their motorcycles are fashion accessory extensions of that....

"We are a retail extension of the collective conscious of non-conforming-never-grow-up-weirdos. New and vintage apparel, weird and wonderful surfboards, custom and vintage motorcycles, boots, bonsai, jewelry, art and much, much more...."

I mean seriously? What?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm with Hillsy...if the engine's got sand in it, the only way to make sure it is all out is to strip every nut and bolt off it. A buddy of mine did that to a BSA A65...I had to completely tear down the engine; every last nut and bolt...there was sand in it EVERYWHERE. If you can't do the tear-down yourself and cost is an issue, you might be well advised to cut your losses and start again.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I'm just going to tell you to sell it and find another hobby. its what you are going to do 6mos from now anyway but don't know it yet. Your buddy just spent your $2000 budget for you because sand in engine = total strip down and rebuild with new parts. Also seaweed and gravel bikes are garbage hipster eye candy, the aren't motorcycles so much as tools to sell over zealous but undereducated 20 something's a lifestyle.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
You guys are all off base with this new hipster.
He really does have a blessing.....

that heap of shit bike that he is looking up to doesn't run or function like a motorcycle, so why should his "build"?
here is the plan.
you said the bike is all apart?

okay, open up the motor and take everything out. You should have no trouble doing this. Just turn all the bolts to the left until they come out. Once it's gutted put all the parts in a box and scrap them. You should be able to get enough money to buy some paint stripper. I like "aircraft remover".
Give every part you have a bath in it. This is a photo OP too so don't miss some off angle shots of the vintage paint coming off.
once everything is without paint rinse in the shower for a while.

time to grind off some tabs. This is the epic photo op you have been waiting for. I'm talking miles of sparks!

basically the bike you are emulating is a stock bike with all function removed. So you already have 90% of the parts you need.

make sure one part you do change has a story. Something truly baller. Something you can wax poetic about on a blog. Maybe a tail like you removed from a steam train? Speedo from an aircraft? Tumblr should have some options.

slap it all back together and wait for the praise of the Internet.

$1000 in paint and coating? Do it right, it will be easier to get pictures of good paint then rattle cans.
$300 on non dot ice skate tires
$200 seat.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
A thimble full of sand will trash a motor, fast. It needs to be totally dismantled and cleaned right out.

Don't emulated garbage clown-shoe, idiot built bikes, by guys who want to sell cheap Bangladeshi sweat-shop T shirts and Chinese SK8boards to bored youth.

The first snag you hit, was clicking on a link to that "Crab bags and Seagull" site. ark-ark-ark!

"Fish guts and Sand up butt" are not doing anything original. Just aping a trend that was created by others over five years ago.

Ark-ark-ark-ark!

Danger, is my business.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
With the stupid name of the bike all I can think about is how the goal was to get hipsters to fall in love

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I realise I hate hipsters, particularly the ones fucking up decent bikes
Glad to see everyone has taken up the 'clown shoes' I think I posted it first on DTT a few years ago?
I did have a pic for Jag but I think it's on my other computer :(

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Even the DTT guys hate those tires now.

thought geeto was the flow shoe comment starter?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts