Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first motorcycle build unless you count the minibike I made from conduit, a briggs and straton 5 horse and bicycle wheels. Any ways its a mix of CB / CL 350 parts. This is what it looked like when I got it home $50 bucks poorer, and after some cleaning.

This is one of my favorite CB350 Cafes, a bit of inspiration, and made by a bunch of high school kids.

Following some advice from Tex, I got in touch with Buff Harsh and bought an engine, since all I had was a bottom end. After a week of Liquid Wrench I finally got the pistons loose and tore it down. Now I'm looking for some carbs for cheap (I'm hoping maybe even free or swap).

Idiots Guild!

Since I'm waiting on some cheap carbs to show up I decided to try to made a tail section. I wanted to keep all the stock mounting points so working with my dad we narrowed the original seat pan, hand formed the tail and tacked new sides and the tail onto the narrowed pan. Its a bit longer than I would like, but for a first try I'll take it. Here are a few pics of the rough welded tail.

I know clubmans are gay, but this is a budget build and clip ons were going to cost more, so I ordered clubmans and they should get here in a couple of days. I'm also planning on fabricating some rear pegs this week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Clubmans are gay??? Never heard that before. Anyway, looks like you have a nice donor there, especially for $50! How much was the engine? I agree with you about the seat. The tail is a bit long. I like them to end in line with the center of the rear hub. I see you have discovered the Nisky Garage. I found them a couple of years ago when I dreamed of building a cafe bike. Those kids (and their teacher, "D") build some beautiful bikes. Have you seen the TZ project? Awesome!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the engine for $140 from a guy Tex got me in contact with. Total I have about $230 in the bike, including the clubmans and the metal I built the seat with. I haven't seen the tz, but I'll look it up. Any ways I really wanted clips ons, but couldn't justify the added cost right now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I'll update with pics of how I made the seat soon. Also I have been making a seat cover by hand all week. I've got to choose a color soon for the tank and tail, any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
"I've got to choose a color soon for the tank and tail, any suggestions?"

I think Honda racing colors are white and . . . white. maybe a bit of silver.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I promised here is an update and photos:

These are the new clubmans just slapped on the bike

Just a couple of side picks

TRYING TO UPHOLSTER FOR THE FIRST TIME
Since this is really low budget bike I'm trying to make and do everything myself. This was my attempt to upholster. I made templates out of paper bought some vinyl and went to work.

I taped everything together as I went to make sure it was taking the right shape.

I also used tape as a guide for my stitches. I don't have a sewing machine so everything was hand stitched.

I just clamped the cover onto the seat to check fit, I'm pretty happy with the way its coming out.

Just a side view with the cover clamped on the back.

Almost done, just have to figure out the front and buy some snaps or come up with another way to attach it.

Anyways as for a color I think I'm going to do a bright red and flat black combo.

·
Registered
720 Posts
quote:Anyways as for a color I think I'm going to do a bright red and flat black combo.
Duck!!

(don't do the flatblack, please.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was expecting that, but most of its going to be red. I just want some contrast. Plus I'm just slapping some rattle can paint on it for now to keep it from rusting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished Seat Cover

Using Chicago Screws I attached the newly upholstered seat cover to the seat. This was my first try making a seat and covering it, so I'm content with it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's not bad at all. For a first try on a seat, I think it works great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, if anything I'm learning as I go along. Next time I'm tracking down a sewing machine though, hand stitching that cover took forever, not to mention I dont know how many times I stuck myself with the needle. I'm ready to go back to welding.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Bike is looking good!
Great job on the seat,I think it looks very cool and hand stitching just adds to not detracts from it's character. The more of YOU you put into the bike the more it will mean to you and the more pride you will have in it when it's completed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I appreciate the positive feedback. I've always felt like doing the work yourself, not paying someone to do it makes a project your own. Plus ingenuity makes bikes interesting. I'm learning body work now. My tanks got more bumps than a teen's face. Hopefully I can smooth it out.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The Niskayuna HS project was assisted by many of the technical experts on this forum (not me, I am no expert) with advice and connections. Richie - the teacher - posted a bunch of stuff on here awhile back when they were building it. If you do a search, you can probably hit on many of his posts and the experts' responses.

If you have seen their website, you will know that the bike shown in the picture was the HS' project, I think a school up in Rochester. Not sure. Richie's students built a nice bike as well.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
actually, you want your ass inline with the shock towers on these bikes. like the shocks are going up your bung hole.

but craig could probably give you a better idea of weight distribution from the stuff hes learned about it from having his frame made.

or of course, frank c.

quote:Originally posted by sbkal09

Clubmans are gay??? Never heard that before. Anyway, looks like you have a nice donor there, especially for $50! How much was the engine? I agree with you about the seat. The tail is a bit long. I like them to end in line with the center of the rear hub.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts