Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well since all my other bikes I've got so far have turned into projects and unrideable at the moment and I wanted to get a daily driver. Having the amazing wife that I've got, she gave me a grand to buy whatever I wanted. So looking around for the past week and my budget was just a grand. I was eyeballing a few CB500/550 fours but didn't really want a CB and I wanted to dabble into something different. Originally I wanted a RD350 but they were all sold by the time the sellers replied back to me for the ones that did reply back. Gotta love CL. So I found a 76 Suzuki GT550 that was gone over pretty good by the current owner. Carbs were rebuilt, new paint, better pipes as the originals were rotted out. New seat cover and overall just a really nice bike for what he wanted for it. He was a nice guy, local fire station chief and he just bought a Kawasaki Vulcan. He had it up for 1250 on CL and I got it down to 1000 as it's all I had. I got a few manuals, some stock parts like the stock foot pegs and some other little things and some two stroke oil and two more 550 engine that he bought for parts. All I can say is these engines are some big heavy ass two strokes. So she's kind of a eyesore right now as it's got some huge ass Vetter fairing with a JVC cd deck and a Gullwing looking rear trunk thingy. lol. First time I ever rode a bike with that much junk on it and I thought it was a total distraction. So this week all that crap is coming off and take some of that weight off as it's already a heavy bike.

gangster

Not much is gonna get done to the bike as it's NOT going to be another project bike. lol. Only thing I'll do is some superbike bars or adj clubmans. I've got a pair of clubmans on my Bridgestone but the paint is really nice and they'll nail it easily. Also a drilled rotor cause I've head nightmares about the front brake becoming useless if it gets wet and maybe add another rotor and caliper to the front as it's already setup for it.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Them ol Suzuki's haul ass! When you get it trimmed down it will be a fun bike. My fatherinlaw had a 380 and it scared me, I was used to a 450 Honda, That two stroke was twice as fast.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Them ol Suzuki's haul ass! When you get it trimmed down it will be a fun bike. My fatherinlaw had a 380 and it scared me, I was used to a 450 Honda, That two stroke was twice as fast.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going from my CL175 I've been riding up and down the street this year this thing feels massive and scary to twist the throttle. lol. Biggest bike I had before this was my CM400T and that felt closer to the 175's power. Hahaha. I think it was more of a steal then a deal. Brand new paint, tank is coated inside, new tires, and the list goes on. I was never a red kind of guy but I love the look of the bike alot. One thing I though was snazzy was the electronic gear indication between the tach and speedo. I'm also thinking about taking out some of the seat foam and slimming down the seat as I'm just a little guy at 5'5" and tippy toeing but nothing I'm worry about if I leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Going from my CL175 I've been riding up and down the street this year this thing feels massive and scary to twist the throttle. lol. Biggest bike I had before this was my CM400T and that felt closer to the 175's power. Hahaha. I think it was more of a steal then a deal. Brand new paint, tank is coated inside, new tires, and the list goes on. I was never a red kind of guy but I love the look of the bike alot. One thing I though was snazzy was the electronic gear indication between the tach and speedo. I'm also thinking about taking out some of the seat foam and slimming down the seat as I'm just a little guy at 5'5" and tippy toeing but nothing I'm worry about if I leave it the way it is.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was thinking...wow you can't find deals like that around here, but then I relized that Pinche lives just a few miles north...Now I am thinking that I just don't pay enough attention.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was thinking...wow you can't find deals like that around here, but then I relized that Pinche lives just a few miles north...Now I am thinking that I just don't pay enough attention.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been scouring CL for the past week and I think my wife is glad I finally found something. Cause she was getting tired of me constantly searching. I still haven't heard back from alot of the bikes I asked about. Then a day late with buying a bike from a member here otherwise I'd have Meekador's GT500's. There was also a RD400 Daytona in the Milwaukee section for 1500 loaded with a bunch of goodies with a title and ran. That also I lost out on.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been scouring CL for the past week and I think my wife is glad I finally found something. Cause she was getting tired of me constantly searching. I still haven't heard back from alot of the bikes I asked about. Then a day late with buying a bike from a member here otherwise I'd have Meekador's GT500's. There was also a RD400 Daytona in the Milwaukee section for 1500 loaded with a bunch of goodies with a title and ran. That also I lost out on.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I spent the last three hours pulling off the fairing, highway bars, rear trunk and handlebars. I wasn't going to but I ganked off my K&N clubmans off the Bridgestone and their built differently from the other clubmans I had. The bars clear the tank at full turn both ways so I'm good. The only down side of pulling everything off is the previous owner didn't include the headlight ring that holds in the headlight so no dice on driving it. Booo. The bike feels completely different and looks tons better with a good fifty pound of shit off the top of the bike and ten pounds of steel bar from the highway bars and brackets and whatnot.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I spent the last three hours pulling off the fairing, highway bars, rear trunk and handlebars. I wasn't going to but I ganked off my K&N clubmans off the Bridgestone and their built differently from the other clubmans I had. The bars clear the tank at full turn both ways so I'm good. The only down side of pulling everything off is the previous owner didn't include the headlight ring that holds in the headlight so no dice on driving it. Booo. The bike feels completely different and looks tons better with a good fifty pound of shit off the top of the bike and ten pounds of steel bar from the highway bars and brackets and whatnot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts