Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, picked up a 74 CB 750, needs work , runs strong, I'll be asking and reading not trolling. Yeah I'll add content when I can. I am real glad to have found this forum.

·
Registered
854 Posts
From the small picture it looks like you are in for one hell of a project. Do a search for fork brace that will help you out quite a bit.

What are your plans for the bike?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I re-uploaded a larger pic. I know the guy who owned this b4 just jury rigged this bike and it needs done right to make it a safe fun ride.
I want to:
replace the harness and get the electric starter working again.
new chain and both sprockets
clean, synch carbs and get air box in place.
put some directional lights back on.

I can then at least ride it around a bit. Right now I am not at all feeling safe about the wiring
and while it sounds great running it is far from a fine tune machine that I eventually want. I was looking at some online prices for a set of carbs all ready worked and that maybe cheaper than hiring a mechanic to do it. I could do it as I have the skills and was a airplane mechanic for 10 years, I just dont always have time, so some things I may just bolt on. :p and that includes carbs.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
You may want to check the speed'o gear on the front wheel for movement - it looks like it's moving around a little. I hope the engine runs better than it looks. You'll have your hands full with this project.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
I hope the extra M doesn't stand for Merak (maserati joke).

1) keep those exhausts. They look like car headers = hawt.

2) I like those bars.

3) Throw out everything else (except maybe the tank). That seat is made from a spare tank and a seat pan - badly. you can do better than that.

4) paint is gawd awful

5) WTF is up with the airbox? was the P/O too lazy to reconnect it to the frame? it is supposed to add extra support to the carbs.

6) ditch that 6" rear wheel.

7) ditch those tires

8) get a fork brace or a proper fender with support (which acts like a fork brace).

get to work.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ texmawby I know right ? LOL.
@ Geeto67 totally agree with all you say.
@ bmartin it runs strong and yeah its loud. when I get the new front fender may as well reroute the cabling the correct way :)

I cant wait to look back at this post and pic after I sink some time, blood, money and a few choice words at this beast.
Keep the recommendations coming... :)
thankx

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
yup get rid of that 16'' rear wheel

glad to see those bars and not clubmans.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Winner! In your first three posts you did the best thing a newbie could do. You told Geeto he was right, and he is.

The bars will work and look good. I'm suprised the the PO didn't put clubmans on it, as that is usually the first thing to happen to old CB's. I know this because I have owned 2 out of three with clubmans and no rearsets.

Good luck,
Billy

P.S. Working on bikes is way more fun than working on planes(new plane at least). No skydrol. Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am so McLovin the replies, comments, ball busting. Thanks to all.
I am hunting all over CList/Ebay/Here for a front fender with all the parts. (I probably will trim it up a shade) and I ordered the harness today.

@billFrank - you damn skippy about that skydrol ;) but I cant help my love of a DC-3 / Pratt and Whitney R-1830

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
you should paint it flat black.....lol
sorry but i couldnt help it

so what have you done to make the bike run/ride better?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL right ?
Right now nothing mechanical, I am currently replacing the wiring harness, ignition system etc. basically going over all those parts and connections and the routing. After that it will be the carb rebuild and the fuel system.
@catboy - I have no idea about the pipes, they were on it and the PO had no idea. Obviosuly with a rattle can paint job and all :p I like the way they sound though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts