Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three bikes that need a new home. 1974? Honda CB550, a Yamaha twin and a Suzuki 250 twin. I know a bunch of you guys are from up here. They are rough. Someone, anyone, come get them. They are in Sherborn MA. Shoot me an email off list and we can work something out.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
how far north of the long island ferrys are you?

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Free bikes, Ohhhhh Nooooooo, must use restraint..........

Is the Yamaha Twin an old Twin Jet 100 by any chance? I may need a petcock for one.

Texy might want that 550 as parts for the one he just got from me--how rough is it??

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
About 2-2.5 hrs from the ferry. I work for a company in Hauppauge.

I think the yamaha is a 400???

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
kind of you to offer nardl, what does the yamaha need? year? type? I know I'm sniffing a gift fish but an out and back will take a day (a day I don't have right now) so I gotta know if I'm going to make a run for it. I cool thought though, thanks. bcr

ps: if its an RD i'm in

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Yamaha is a 1980. Been sitting for years, probably needs a little bit of everything. Honestly, I havent even touched it. I'll try to get a pic or two of them. Its definately not an RD. The Seca, the CM400 and the GN400 are gone.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jan 08 2008 1:30:42 PM

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
thats amazing that you can make out the make of the wheels on the bike in the middle....how do you get a skill like that?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
thats amazing that you can make out the make of the wheels on the bike in the middle....how do you get a skill like that?

Being a brit car mechanic, can you tell the difference between pin drive and bolt on wire wheels when they are on the car? basically the same.

star pattern wheels came from only 1 of 2 places - Henry Abe as aftermarket or Suzuki GS series. It would have been a lot harder if they were the lester style since Sun, Lester, and 9 different other companies made those single rib spoke mags.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
i see your point.
now looking at the pic they seem like cool wheels. are they lighter or just nice to look at?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got back from the garage. Its a little dark out there. I cant see any names or words on them. How do I tell what they are. they were gold and polished. Definately mag or alum.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
How do I tell what they are.
If they are a 7 point star where the points meet at the rim then they are Henry Abe. Usually They will also have HA industries cast into them (most times - sometimes polishing them takes the casting off). They came in either gold or natrual finish. They are not particularly rare since Henry Abe was popular because their prices were cheaper than lester, sun, morris, etc...I don;t even think they made the wheels as Henry Abe was really an importer.

If they are a 7 point star where the ribs of the star are very prominent (sticks out at least 1/4 of an inch), They may be Astralite rims. They will have a raised casting where the star meets the rim on the rim itself.

If they are a 6 point star with no markings whatsoever they they are likely Shelby Dowd wheels. They came in black or natural finish but it wouldn't be unheard of for someone to paint them gold.

If the lines that make up the point cross before they meet the rim then they are suzuki GS series wheel. Often used for conversions on old hondas they are nice but common.

Cyclewearables still sells new star rims (henry abe repros) for $165 a pop so they are not all that hard to get a hold of or rare for that matter. Plus the poser cafe crowd's interest in spokes "for looks" kinda keep the price down. The real advantage is you can run your tires tubless and depending on the rim there may be some extra weight savings.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, looks like I have some research to do. This bike was cafe'd at some point in its life so I'm guessing aftermarket wheels are a good possibility.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Those are Shelby Dowd wheels (I think), and the rear is a disc with a conversion (and what looks like an airheart or grimeca master cylinder).
Looks like an early 550 (74-76). The header looks like either a mac or a kerker (usually I tell macs by the way they rust but everything on that bike is rusty. Looks like someone put some time and money into that bike back in the day - too bad it is roached now.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The best thing to do ,is .Give them to GEETO he also needs a small shed to attach to his very full Garage his family will disown him once again, but what else is new .he will ditribute the parts in his mind, but in reallity.He will put them under a tarp and make mental notes about all the restoration work each bike needs, as he goes about his day doing what ever it is Geeto does.
His curiousity and fascination with these new discoverys is like Marco Polo in the New World.Just look at how much you just learned about wheels and thats just one small part, on, one, of those bikes.
He hasnt even broke a sweat yet but Im sure his bikeray vision has seen right thru the tarps that cover ,and even seen right thru the bikes that lean on top of the next.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts