Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Ken,
Sounds like a good set up. I'm a fan of keeping the original trees if possible...like you say, keeps spacing the same and has the geometery the bike was intended to work with.
There are a lot of tracks where you can get away with a smallish brakes on a small bike....couple I can think of are Beaver Run except for the last corner....Mosport except for Moss's. Probably Mid-O from what I've heard.
I lean toward a large brake because many of the tracks I run on are quite tight...numerous 40-45mph turns, whoever can get from 90mph to 45mph the quickest and latest gets in the turn first.

I'd love to see the Ohlins shocks...had to set you back a bit. Details? Part number, price?
Thanks,
JohnnyB

PS. HUGE fan of lengthening the swingarm...seems to make a tremendous difference in the handling and stability of these smaller short wheel base bikes.

Edited by - jbranson on Oct 19 2005 04:51:17 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Digging around in the basement last night and found a few early h1 drum brakes, and then it occured to me...has anyone tried to run the h1 front drum?

They are not expensive and you can find them pretty easy. They are pretty massive and already have some cooling slots on the braking plate. They have a rep for not beng that "great" as compared to the discs that came later, but on a cb350 they would probaby do a good job. The brake arm is cast.

edited to fix my awful spelling casued by my massive sausage fingers.

Edited by - geeto67 on Oct 19 2005 12:02:34 PM

Edited by - geeto67 on Oct 19 2005 12:03:09 PM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Geet,
Same thing has occurred to me now and then....never followed up on it. Gonna take a look at that idea right now.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I have an H1 brake on Jeremy's cb175. Lots of stopping power even though its not setup correct. Math wise, the ratios are great.

Aaron

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
dude i am back on this shit with a new name. i totally forgot my password for this thing and can't get on it. screw it ! anyway ... dude that brake of yours (jb) is freakin awesome!!!! feel like milling mine??? i really dont care. i would hate to unlace it again. i am probably high right now from using the plexus today. good stuff. the other chat forums... calf ropers and the blo me site are getting old. lets meet in the adirondacks for our vintage chopper ride. we can party at bransons house!!!woooo hoo!!
i will bring the plexus.. you supply the paperbags!!
matt t

ps awesome thong tex!!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Aaron,
After checking out the specs on them they are between the 305/450 and the T500 as far as surface area goes....enough more than the 305/450 to make them worth looking at. Thanks for the heads up Geeto...wouldn't have thought to check one out before I sent out my 305 shoes for work. Any idea what it weighs? Axle diameter?

Matt,
Sure, next time you have it apart let me know and I'll do the "hole" thing to it. Might be able to fit it on my mill without the tire...I'll check...pretty sure I could. Bearings have to come out though cause I grab the bearing bore with a lath chuck mounted on a rotary table. I was surprised how much weight came off from drilling the spoke flange...and it's on the outside where it counts most....well if you consider a few oz' meaningful...like I do.

Got my Scitsu put back together....next project..design my own tachs. I'm getting tired of breaking $250 tachs. I found sources for the meter movement, battery, and schematics for various electronics needed.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
JohnnyB

I had all the frame work and got the Ohlins from Randy Ilg at Framecrafters. They are near Chicago. They are at Framecrafters.net, I think. I'll check it out and repost the correct url if that isn't it. It set me back about $1000 for the frame work the swingarm lengthening and the shocks. Randy also is a dealer for Works Performance, but I decided to spend the extra $250 for the Ohlins since my wife told me to go ahead and get the best. The longer braced swingarm really improves the stability and handling. I don't know if anyone here was at Mid-Ohio this year but it was WET. I finished 3rd in lightweight superbike and 5th in middleweight in the rain. I could tell that the handling is what made the difference. I am a good rain racer, but I have always hated it and the handling made it so it wasn't too bad. I only slid the rear end around in a couple of places and never pushed the front. If you were not going to do the work yourself and have more money than time, I would definately recommend Framecrafters to do the work. They did the job for me in about 2 weeks, between the Grattan and Mid-O races. I gave them an extra frame I didn't need, so you could probably get one done exchange if you wanted over the winter. I really don't want to add extra weight to the front end with a bigger front brake, but if I can't get the stocker to work a little better I will probably swap it out for something else.
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Not sure if you've had Vintage Brake go over your OEM brake yet...but if you haven't they can get you another 25-30% stopping power without changing hubs...kinda pricey though...and he gets backed up in the spring. I have them reline all my shoes and then I arc them on my lath.

Some pics of the chassis of my 175(s) getting prepped here:

http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/CB175/CB175-FramesPage.htm

Look though the menus, you'll find it.
When I did the swingarm on my bike this spring I just added two inches of TIG welded DOM tubing about middle way down the arm, has worked like a charm all year...definately something these bikes need.

Right now I'm using Mulholland NOS shocks...I switch around some of the valving into different bodies to get the length I need etc. But..supplies of NOS Muholland stuff is getting harder to find so eventually I'll have to go with something newer. My bike has some clearance issues around the lower mount that make most high end modern shocks a no go....the bodies are too large in diameter.

You know larger brakes aren't always heavier...T500 is probably 4 lb lighter than an OEM CB350 brake. Although they do have that reputation for cracking...mine never did in three years even though I punched it full of holes...too many holes. A friend has one on his CB350 and has raced numerous years with no problems. Although I gotta be honest and say I'm getting rid of my T500 because of a lack of faith in it's structural integrity.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
JohnnyB,
When Framecrafters installed the Ohlins, they changed the lower shock mount on the swing arm from the clevis mount to a saddle that takes an eye on the bottom. Randy also made the swingarm with 3 mounting holes so I can try different lower shock locations and change the angle and ride height. If I have a decent picture I will try and get it posted or I can take some at Christmas time when I see my bike again and post it then. The other reason I plan on staying with the stock front drum is time and laziness. I just don't have any extra time to work on my bikes and I am really too lazy to ind another brake and lace up a new wheel. I will just run what I have. Plus I am going to race prep a Yamaha Seca 550 for Ahrma middle weight vintage superbike for next year.
Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
JohnnyB
Sorry to get back to you so late- been away from the computer for awhile.
Do you want to swap backing plates so you can get one that is complete and works? I want to make sure all my customers are satisfied.
bfd

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Bill,
Thanks bro, I've already sent off the cams to Peter Boucher in swap for the later cams with more conventional arm mounts. All I'm missing is the return spring. Already got it polished up and drilled...it's mine now :)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,782 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Nice...them is some trick looking shocks. Is there a gas res behind the numberplate? Our club doesn't allow them...don't know about AHRMA.

I like that lower mount, might have to do something like that on mine, it needs a bit more down angle on the SA than it has now. And it would increase my selection of possible shocks.

Here's the setup I'm using now...prior to the 2" swingarm extension...so you can imagine that SA angle is a bit worse.

http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/CB175/suspension.htm

JohnnyB

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The Ohlins don't have a res. at least not on this model. the 350 lower shock mount was like yours, and Framecrafters removed it completely and welded the other mount on. I am using the hole farthst to the rear so I have some options as far as SA goes. I really like the snale adjusters for the chain. Are those some repurposed OEM parts or did you make them from scratch?
Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
holy crap frank. r you going to actually use that??? wow. now thats definitely crossing into the "you either know what youre doing or youre insane" realm. thats pretty impressive. hey, whatever happened to that triumph you were trying to deliver?? did it ever make it home??? brenda gdfrey just moved here last weekend in a half empty 23' truck. if we had known she was moving....she even moved to owings mills!

jc

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
holy crap frank. r you going to actually use that??? wow. now thats definitely crossing into the "you either know what youre doing or youre insane" realm. thats pretty impressive. hey, whatever happened to that triumph you were trying to deliver?? did it ever make it home??? brenda gdfrey just moved here last weekend in a half empty 23' truck. if we had known she was moving....she even moved to owings mills!

jc
The Triumph got shipped by truck. They show up with a pallet, strap down and wrap it up. Very easy. The trailer even had a lift gate so you don't need a loading dock.
FC

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Frank
....jeez I don't know..looks like a lot of holes. I considered doing the radius slots around the backing plate but I'm not that brave. Might be fine on a lightweight bike. Hey...all that work and you didn't drill the spoke flange? I got more weight off in the flange than I did drilling the whole drum side of the hub.

I over did it on my T500...you can grab the wheel at the tire and flex the hub until the backing plate rubs the hub. Used it that way for three years without a problem. But as the bike has gotten faster I decided to go with something a bit sturdier even if it does cost me a pound.

Ken,
I made up the CAD drawing for the adjusters and had them laser cut in the SS by emachineshop. They are kind of a pain, but they do work and are VERY light. Probably easier to find a set off some Italian bike with the right size axle hole.
If you use calipers to set up the stop bolt/pin off the swingarm pivot then you can actually use the marks on the adjuster to line up the wheel.
JohnnyB

41 - 60 of 70 Posts