Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up yesterday! 1977 CB750K! I'm super stoked to finally get a bike after so many years of wanting one.

I initially was looking into getting a 2018 Yamaha SR400 since I'm a new rider (other than little dirt bikes as a kid) and I wanted something I can just hop on and ride. I went to the local dealer and apparently they stopped production on them, and there weren't any in the area, so back to craigslist I went and found this thing! Even cooler considering I only spent the cash I was planning to use as a downpayment on a new bike.

I payed 2600 for it, and it has 18k miles on it. I feel like most CBs you see for sale are either cheap but pieces of junk, or fully restored machines that cost too much, so this was a good medium in my opinion.

She's weathered, but she's solid! The front caliper is seized though so I have to fix that first before I can actually ride it, but yeah ... here she is!

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Brake master cylinder is probably all clogged up with corrosion and yuck.
Scrap yards are a good source of replacement brake parts.

Nice bike they are a bit of a freight train, go a little easy coming into fast corners until you get used to the bulk and leather like brakes,
you will eventually drag hard parts in tight corners, be ready for that too, they can make very pretty sparks at night, especially if you have a passenger on.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Great looking bike. Those pipes are probably worth their weight in gold! Nice score.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Nice looker "just the way it is". Clean it, maintain it, ride it. You'll be the coolest kid on the block. When anyone asks what your gonna do to it, say "not a fuckin thing"

Oh yea. What Trials said. I watched a guy drive one into a swamp with his wife on the back cuz he was draggin steel. They were both heavy and he came in a lil hot, but still. Just good to keep it in mind.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The forks could likely use an overhaul, new springs would be worthwhile. Talk to Hagon, they can get you set up with new shocks that will improve the bike drastically. It is a nice clean bike don't change anything that can't be made original again.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Have you ever maintained an old bike?
Do you own tools and know how to use them?

Not saying this is going to be an endless wrenching things, but are you just learning how to ride? Or trying to learn how to ride....AND deal with something old?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

I already have a new caliper with pads (and a repair manual) on the way, and I'm going to clean out the master cylinder too while I'm at it. I don't plan on chopping it up or anything, but I do have a short little laundry list of things I'd like to do to it. Mainly get shorter bars, a faaaattt 4 to 1 exhaust, and lower it (which is perfect since the fork seals are bad and needs a rebuild). Before I do any of that though I have to actually learn how to ride haha. I don't want to immediately start tearing it apart and do stuff like get clip ons and chop it up only to have it end up being a pain in the ass to ride Lol.

While I'm a new rider, I'm not new to wrenching. I'm a big car guy, especially old Japanese cars. My main toy is a 1984 Toyota Corolla AE86 that I had imported from Japan 2 years ago.
Between me and my dad we have more than enough tools to get by. Still need to get stuff like a bike jack and what not, but I'll get there haha

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Dont lower it.
It isnt a car.
Lowered bikes handle like shit.

While some are more interested in the looks and the general game of dress up, although much less since the whole hispter thing is kinda dead....
The place values function and real increases to performance.

Best advice is to keep it stock, well serviced and usable. Have some fun and figure out what kind of riding you enjoy.
If you end up wanting more performance, look at simple stuff like adding a second front caliper, upgrading to lighter wheels with sticky tires, buy GOOD shocks (not cheap junk), ect.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Dont lower it.
It isnt a car.

If you end up wanting more performance.

Keep this one as is and add a Performance Bike To The Garage! It will be cheaper + you will be one step closer to your 3 bike insurance discount.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Keep this one as is and add a Performance Bike To The Garage! It will be cheaper + you will be one step closer to your 3 bike insurance discount.
Meh, its a late year SOHC.
Not something worth "preserving" for the future. They aren't that good.....

Also no one really cares about 70s bikes anymore anyway.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Meh, its a late year SOHC.
Not something worth "preserving" for the future. They aren't that good.....

Also no one really cares about 70s bikes anymore anyway.
Just saying it’s not a sport bike, and for sport riding there are many other options.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
100% agree.
as I've said before, motorcycles are tools for a job.

if the job the OP wants is a project to add performance and learn, he has a decent platform.
it will never actually be fast, but could be fun to ride.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
100% agree.
as I've said before, motorcycles are tools for a job.

if the job the OP wants is a project to add performance and learn, he has a decent platform.
it will never actually be fast, but could be fun to ride.

A Motorcycle is a Prosthetic Device. But I see your point.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I wonder how many people bought a cb750 as their first bike back in 1977? How things have changed (since I was about 10yo, lol)
to be honest a modern bike is loads easier to learn to ride than an old dinosaur. Lighter, better brakes, better handling, lighter controls, better lights, better tires.

I agree with keeping this as stock as possible with maintenance and performance mods to the brakes, suspension to make the bike as safe as possible.

Learn the maintenance required to keep these things moving then find yourself a clapped out wreck you can build for yourself if you want. By then, you'll know a little what you'll be in for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol Yeaaahhh. I know a newer bike would have been a smarter move but lets be real here, most modern bikes just aren't as cool haha. Otherwise we wouldn't even be here!

I'm taking this whole process one step at a time. First things first is getting this damn caliper fixed so I can actually ride it. I'll figure out the rest later :p

Side note, do you guys know of any stores that carry Raybestos Brake Assembly Fluid and Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease? Or some alternatives I can use from the autoparts store?
I've been reading that those two are the stuff you want to use, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy them online. I'm trying to knock this job out this weekend!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Lol Yeaaahhh. I know a newer bike would have been a smarter move but lets be real here, most modern bikes just aren't as cool haha. Otherwise we wouldn't even be here!

I'm taking this whole process one step at a time. First things first is getting this damn caliper fixed so I can actually ride it. I'll figure out the rest later :p

Side note, do you guys know of any stores that carry Raybestos Brake Assembly Fluid and Dow Corning High Vacuum Grease? Or some alternatives I can use from the autoparts store?
I've been reading that those two are the stuff you want to use, but it looks like I'm going to have to buy them online. I'm trying to knock this job out this weekend!
Caliper bolt grease can be had in little packets at any auto parts store
Brake assembly lube is also a common thing sold at any auto parts store

Brands don't matter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Caliper bolt grease can be had in little packets at any auto parts store
Brake assembly lube is also a common thing sold at any auto parts store

Brands don't matter
Really? Usually all I find is generic caliper grease.
I'm talking about what lube to use for the piston/seal.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts