Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all!

I found this Forum just a few hours ago and read through some of the articles so far...
Let me introduce myself: I'm Chris(tian) from Northern Germany, 32 years old and interested in (old) bikes since I was 15...
Last month I got an '81 Yamaha XV750S "Softchopper" as a gift from my dad, there it has been waiting in a garage for maybe 5 or 6 years...
I didn't know what to do with it (it had the typical look of the early 80s with small headlight, footrest at the most forward end of the bike, ugly seat, AME-tail... you know..) and catched a glimpse of some cafe racers in the www. There I found some pics of a nice dutch caferacer made of such a XV wich looked really mean to me and the idea was born to make one racer of mine too.

The first things were the removing of the 80s junk and cutting the fork 80 mm down to get a straighter line. The tail is dismounted now, the headlight also, I'm awaiting the delivery of a seat/tailpart and the rear lamp. I ordered some black motocross-footrests (these toothed metal things which will look great ;) and will mount them where normaly the passenger-foots rest. Brake and Geardrive leverage of course have to be fully modified...
Fortunately the whole frame tail is screwed, so that I can build a new part out of stainless steel hoses and just screw it to the main frame and place the new seat onto it.
I'm also looking for some clip-on handlebars, what will be a bit more difficult as I thought (but I'm working on it).

As some might know (and some maybe not) we have many regimentation and laws which have to be fulfilled to get a registration and number plate for bikes and cars here in Good old Germany... Its called "TÜV" (Technical survey association).
Thats for example why I have to care for a good working splash guards at the rear wheel. Because the tail will be very short and ending right above the middle of the rear wheel I decided to place a splash guard part from a newer BMW R1100 GS at the housing of the fully suspended rear wheel drive. Pics will follow!

Hopefully you will see some before/now pics now, I am trying to upload some and post here.

I will keep you postet as soon as anything happens!

Comments are welcome!

Greetz,
Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here some Fotos:

Before ( :D[8D])

And now (additionally the tail is dismounted...)

[:p] Looks pretty much better so far, doesn't it?

Greetz,

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi to all!

Received my Tailpart last week and looked a bit around the design..

What do you think of it?

Let me know, pls !!

Cheers, Chris

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I want one of those with chain drive

a TR920?

that blue looks cheap and cheesy

especially so when used as silly accents on various other small parts

good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Germany those are sold under the name "TR1", also with the 920 cc Motor...

That Blue color.... yes. .. err... is the old one... [8D]

It'll change! i promise!!! And the "accents" are never the less more "accidents", don't you think?

So anyway... Paintjob will be done at least AFTER the TÜV registration!
Who knows wich modifications they want to see...

Greetings from Germany,
Chris

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Welcome Chris, nice looking project so far. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Looks like a pretty trick project when you get it done...Welcome aboard

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
at least 300 series front and rear

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Maybe it's just the picture/angle, but those sliders look like they'd smash into the lower tree with the tubes that far into 'em.

Good luck! Might turn out cool.

Welcome.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Looking good. Just a few free opinions. I would consider using the subframe with the girder looking things with he holes. It might look good with the seat you got. I like the new seat with the stock tank. Is that the original front fork? In the states, the XV750 used leading axle forks and a single disk. I don't like 16" rear wheels and 19" fronts. I would try to go with 18" front and rear using the rear off of a Seca 650, 750 or 900 and the front off of a Vision 550. Or go with spoke wheels off a later XV700 - 1100 and lace up 17" rims. I would get rid of the huge cast footpeg brackets for something smaller and cleaner. I like the ones off of FZR 600.

Ken

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
cool project, keep doing what you're doing. Does that huge cast part that mounts the pegs unbolt? Maybe while you are dealing with the subframe the pegs could get a similar treatment. Nice project, have fun with it. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello back to all and thanks for all your opinions so far!

The AME-Tailpart with the holed girders have quite the wrong shape for this new single seat. Unfortunately. They are quite strong and I could have used them further if I tried to have an "ordinary" rear fender, but with that single thing it won't fit anyway... I want to keep the frame-triangle where seat, tank and motion link meet as free and open as possible...

What did you mean with "Sliders"? The lower parts of the fork?
The fork has a stroke of 150 mm. I will cut it "only" 65 mm down from the top and then get it through the headset around 15 mm. Total lowering will be 80 mms then but the shortening of the stroke will only be 65 mm. Additionally there will be other fork-springs with higher tension. Anything fits then, although the horn has to be removed from its place.

The casted footpeg holders will stay where they are.I love them... I designed stainless steel brake- and gearlevers with linkage that will fit perfect to them. They - of course- will be polished after finishing project planning. Parts are ordered!

Unfortunately the wheels have to remain as they are now because of the registration at the TÜV. I'D like to put a 16" rear-wheel to the front, and I already have one, but first doing the approval..

Now just a small pic of the first try to make a subframe for the seatsection.

Greetz,
Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing happened at the weekend,

tried to get the engine starting, but spark plugs failed. We had a holiday on Friday, so no new plugs available.

Additionally the carbs let fuel go right through the exhausts...

Anyway!

I'll keep you posted!

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there from Germany!

Did some work at the weekend!

Engine is running now, shortened the fork about 50 mm, made the seat seatable, footrests, clipons, and argued with the neigbours because of the missing pipes at 10 pm [8D]:D

Let me know your opinions... please!

Chris

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's a huge change, just like that! Very cool bike man..

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:argued with the neigbours because of the missing pipes at 10 pm

Sweet! Been there myself. Rousted a neighbour out of bed once, and she came over to bitch in her bathrobe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

quote:argued with the neigbours because of the missing pipes at 10 pm

Sweet! Been there myself. Rousted a neighbour out of bed once, and she came over to bitch in her bathrobe.
Better not !!! My neighbours are all at least 60 or so and half of them are already retired...
So: I don't wanna see them in a bathrobe.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good evening from germany!

Short update:

Did some work on the brake- and gearshift-levers / rearsets.

Chris

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
The seat setup gives it a nice clean look on the rear end. Looks like your getting ready for paint soon. For god sakes don't paint it black!!!!! Check out some two tone paint schemes - that might really make this project stand out nice. The rear sets look good also. What do you plan to do with the exhaust??? If you want to keep the neighbors happy your either going to add mufflers or throw a beer party... I think the mufflers might be cheaper...

1 - 20 of 111 Posts