Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have some AME "Harley Style" Mufflers here, that were moounted when I got the machine.
Maybe they will fit into the style when turned upwards some degrees or pass the second muffler to the left side (originally both mufflers are on the right hand!)...

We'll see!

I'd like to paint it (tank, seat, frontfender) in a dressy silver or maybe even plain white.
Everything else will be painted in shiny black, except for some Alloy and Stainlesssteel parts and some parts of the motor housing.

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
That bike is really nice. I love the new seat. I also like the size of the front wheel I think it would look better with a bigger rear wheel rather then a smaller front one.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I think you could have the exhaust come off the engine on both sides and route them just above the gear box and terminate under the seat (kind of like a duc) into two can mufflers. You could add heat shields to the pipes where they run past your leg placements. With the rear sets, it will be tough to run the exhaust under the engine. Installing shortie mufflers under the engine will look a little odd. Running two harley style on one side will still be a little tricky with the rear sets.

Still a nice project - looks good from the photos...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Short update:

Ready fabricated rearset / levers, welded, sanded, polish-preparation, bushings, bolts.

Today in the evening they will hopefully fit the boik...

Chris

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nice job on the bike! Much faster than my project! Those rearsets look great, excellent work. Have you decided where to install the battery?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for your opinion!

The rearsets seem to be a little bit too strong... They are made of 8 mm stainless steel. 8mm alloy or 6 mm steel should have been enough... Anyway! Better to strong, than.. you know!

I decided to buy a gel-battery, wich can be laid on its side beneath the seat or the tail. I already pulled all electrics to the left side and prepared it to put it beneath the seat/tail. "Just" have to extend some of the wires.

Chris

Some Photos of the bike so far. Rearsets mounted (the shifting rod is just a threaded rod for testing the function and will be replaced soon). Everything seems to fit and operate as it should.
The whole boik with an old headlamp (unfortunately not approvable in Germany...).

GreeTZ!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey-Jo!

Nice to see that someone cares... :D

I had to lay down work for a while, my dad got ill and me too, but by now some parts arrived my home and maybe next week it'll go forwards.

Already fitted have been the numberplate-holder, rearlight, rear indicators. fueltank-fastener is ready-made.
Still wasn't working on the 16"-Frontwheel that I got cheap. I first have to care for an old test-tire for it to test the fitting.
Also I have to look for some tubes for my exhaust-piping, the mufflers have to move (to wherever... :D )

I received handlebar grips and a bar end mirror for the left side bar and also some foam and leather for the seat-manufacturing.

Lets see what the next weekend brings...

As soon as there is anything new and I have some suitable pictures, I will let you know!

Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice work, especially on the rearsets. I've got an XV750 I'm about to get started on myself, and this bike has definitely given me some ideas.

I look forward to seeing updates.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That looks great! I am looking into starting a project with a VX750 as well. I was having a hard time in envisioning it with a new seat etc. Looks really good.

Are you going to swap out the tank, or leave it stock?

·
Registered
9 Posts
moin moin,

ich glaube das sollte kein Prob sein, der Heckrahmen ist ja nur geschraubt (so wies aussieht...)wenn für das GFK-Heck nen Matgutachten da ist sollte das gehen - wenns ordentlich geschweisst ist....

hab bei mir auch nen "Halterahmen für das Heck gabaut - solange nicht direkt am Rahmen geschweisst wird is das ok..."
Grüsse aus dem eingschneiten Norden, Timo

http://www.caferacer.net/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8970

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I saw somewhere in this thread you were shortening forks?
Easy way to do it is remove damper rod and fit a spacer between bottom of inner fork tube and top out spring then get shorter springs for suspension (you mentioned you were doing that Its much easier and cheaper than having tubes made or shortened, plus, you can always revert to stock or change things around without any additional expense
You have conventional damper rod forks so its easy.
link to damper rod picture, scroll to last post/picture
PJ
http://xs650temp.proboards29.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=project&thread=11366&page=1#70336

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm assuming you got your inspiration from Englebert from the Netherlands? I was so impressed with his work that I am attempting to copy his for the most part.

My project will differ slightly as the seat section will utilize an R1 seat and will have a custom exhaust bent in Hardley fashion... Here is my rolling chassis so far... I believe the tank will be the most difficult to tackle as it needs to be boxed in and a new mounting point will have to be fabricated. Unfortunately, Englebert doesn't answer his PMs to lend advice!

The wheels will be powder coated all black as well as the rear sets.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check my thread (in my sig) on how to internally limit fork travel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hi again from Germany!

I was away for some times due to my job...
I wonder how this project-thread is still on the top of the list.. *grin*
Thanks for your interest !!!!

Anyway, here some answers:

First of all: YES, I was heavily inspired by the green Caferacer-Pics that I found on the internet at the beginning of th last year. This was BEFORE I had the bike in my workshop. When I saw the pics I remembered the old XV from my father, that was "lying" around in his shed for probably 6 years or so. I had some fast flashbacks on how good the bike drove before it was put out of service, and *bang* there it went. One week later, I was gifted that bike from my father and took it into MY workshop and started deassembling... eBay and some acquaintances did their things and the project growed.
At the moment I have little time, so this thing has to wait probably until we get warmer weather ( -10°C at the moment) and my job will allow. So far so good.

Some facts to the bike:
- The forks where "shortened" by a spacer as mentioned two or three posts before, additionally I pulled the fork-tubes approx. 20 mm through the upper frame-head, but this will be revised soon.
- There were the german questions for the german TÜV considering the welding of the tailframe which is not allowed in general in Germany. In fact that tail is only screwed to the mainframe, and that is absolutely no Problem. Of course the Seatmaterial is tested and was delivered with a certificate.
- The exhaust-manifolds will stay original, just slightly modified and the harley-mufflers will be placed as seen on the photo below, I bought some tube-elbows with different angles and just played around with them. Everything fits, just one elbow has to be dented a little bit so that the sidestand fits when in upper position. The tubes are not ready welded, and I have to adjust the right side a bit, the muffler is a little bit to far to the back on that side.
- I have material here for padding the seat, lets see how early I find time to do some works on it.

Unfortunately the photo was taken in dark workshop, but you may sense whats going on.
The frontlight is still a wrong one, but Handlegrips and bar-end-mirror are already on for testing the look :)

I think, next week will be a good time for more updates ;)

Greetz Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
I really like your rearsets! Would you be interested in making another pair? Also, how will you route the rear cylinder exhaust? I am going to bend it around the right side and will join up with the front pipe to form a two into one exhaust with an upswept reverse cone can. The header might resemble my Buell's header or it might be configured more like a Hardley.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi there!

Sorry to say so, but what you see IS the REAR-cylinder-exhaust [8D]

If you look properly, you are able to see the rear cylinder exhaust manifold. It goes downwards to the ground, then bends 3 times 90° to fit the muffler (the last 90° knee is seeable again on the photo)...
Take a glance to the photo and find the red line describing the tubing...

The front cylinder exhaust lies staight below the engine, then bends up approx. 5° where the original front footrest were and then fits the muffler on the same position like the shown.

However, the rear exh. was and is still a little bit tricky, but it works...

I will tape the hole exhaust tubing with white heat protection fiber glass tape and paint the muffler black matt-finished.

Greetz,

Chris

PS: The painter is informed, I think... He will care for a nice black&white painting... Lets think about that. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Christian what make and model is the seat you're using?I have an XV920 chain drive and I really like the lines of the seat you have chosen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Unfortunately I can't say properly...

The seat was fabricated new and sold on e-Bay. I remember something written about any sample-Bike where they got the shape from, but I'm not sure what is was...

Cheerz!

21 - 40 of 111 Posts