Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
If anyone wants to see some examples of what has been done with the chain drive version of basically the same bike(980cc) check out this site and go to the gallery section at look at Sepp Koch's bikes.http://www.tr1.de/

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Yeah the TR1 is a neat ride. I'd snatch one up if I could find a good one locally..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I know that site and you can find pics of my bike there too...

Nice site with plenty of information about that Yam type!!

Yesterday I decided to change the exhaust system completely...

I did not like what I had done with the 2 in 2 Piping, so I cutted everything off again and began to weld a 2 in 1 Pipe with one muffler on the right side. It look ssmooth and gives a nice slim backview of the bike...

Pics later, when readymade!

Chris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great, I love it whenm people don't use the ussual bikes to turn into a caferacer.

Maybe I can give you some inspiration for your exhaust:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wohaa!

Nice one! I like that long flat look!! Maybe you shouldn't even add a tail :D:D

Not pretty much done so far on the boik (it still freezing in Germany)...

Some nice Pics taken at the weekend, when the sun came out...
Very good to take a look and think of the line and shape and exhaust (maybe again a 2 in 2 ??)

And take a look to that slim figure.... :D[8D]

Greetz,

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
One more try with bigger pics...:

Cheerz!

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do you think of Sepp Koch's designs e.g. chopping a large section of the frame away? What do you think about the chain conversions that were done?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I don't think he is doing a chain drive conversion, he is using the TR-1 (XV920RJ here) which is the chain drive version. The output bevel drive on the shaft drive XV is part of the left case half, so it would need to be machined and a seal support and extension shaft made. I have looked at it and just not messed with it yet.

Ken

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah, thats it!

You can either take a TR1 with chaindrive as a basis for all modifications, or just an XV 750 / 920 with a shaft drive. Exchanging is some work, but possible (as kenessex said)...

I like the maintenance free shaft drive of my Virago, I always hated chains and there problems everytime you won't need them...

Chris

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree and am sticking with the shaft drive. I do like the look of the frame cut away, though. Do you think there would be a compromise in strength? The way I see it, there would be little if any difference than my Buell's chassis configuration (using the engine as a stressed member). I would also like to replace the monoshock with a more modern design but can't find any conversions on the internet. It should be a fairly straightforward swap, don't you guys think???

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The XV uses a subframe in the rear so you can change that out as you need it. Th swing arm is not that great so could be improved on but there will be issues with the shaft drive. Depends on how much machining and welding you want to do. If it was me, I would look at using an 84-86 FJ600 swing arm and shock, cut and welded to the right side of the stock Virago swing arm and pivot section. The FJ was a steel swing arm with a linkage shock. I don't know if it would work any better but would look different. Personally I would be mre concerned about getting rid of the swirl pattern rims in bad sizes. I would get the rear wheel off of a Seca 650, 750 or 900 and the front off a XV550 vision so I had 18" wheels front and rear. I would also consider the entire front end off the Vision using the years that had dual disc. It had a tailing axle fork and shortened up the wheel base a little. I like the look of the Vision tank better, too. You can do a lot of parts bin engineering with Yamahas from the 80s.

Ken

·
Registered
65 Posts
The wheels are an issue and I wish they were closer to the same diameter. I had planned to powder coat both all black an hopefully with the right size tires, I can minimize the size difference. I was trying to decide on different forks and rims, but that would introduce a whole new set of problems of fitment and possible machining. I don't know if I want to tackle all that... I really wish the weather would break so I can get in there and re-evaluate everything!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'm on the way to get a complete XJ650 from 83 for just a few bucks.
This german type has a shaft drive like the xv and 18" rims front and rear.
I plan to take the both wheels from the XJ painted shining black for my XV.

Otherwise I have a frontrim with 16" diameter from an older FJ1100.
With that one I would have 16" Wheels front and rear, wich will make a better look that I want but maybe not the right choice for driving with speed... I then would have a 130 rear tire and a 120 front tire...

Chris

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
sbka109,
It might be a straight bolt on but with out measuring I can't be positive. But I am sure it can be made to work with some spacers. The good thing is that it has a drum rear brake, too so you won't have to mess with a rear disc conversion.

I just did a quick look at the Yamaha parts break down on bikebandit.com and the Virago 750 and Seca 750 use the same splined drive hub on the rear wheel and the same axle, so it might be a straight bolt up operation.

The Seca 650 Turbo had 18" wheels front and rear and use a straight spoke pattern that, I think, looks better than the swirl wheels on the Virago. I can't tthink of any of the swirl pattern that would have an 18" front.

Ken

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Woooohaa!!

Began some wireworks on the whole wiring, found out that cable colours don't fit wiring diagram, found out that preowner did also a lot of "wire-works" on the bike, found out that the whole wiring is NOT original but a selfmade wiring harness...

Used the side cutters A LOT and gave up after 3 Hours.

Will do more when I got reanimated.... :D

Greetz,
Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I can't say, but he eliminated some of the original features of the bike, e.g. the automatic indicator cutoff or a safety relais for the starter (when neutral is not switched or you don't pull the clutchlever)...

Maybe thats a reason...

Who knows... I don't need to know, I will try to get through it and clean everything up with a minimum of wires and relais remaining.

Chris

41 - 60 of 111 Posts