Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just picked up a 1969 Yamaha R3 350, so I figured I'd join here to expand my knowledge. I'm new to the 2-cycle game, and hoping this bike will be a fun project.

Not too much planned at the moment, aside from sorting out a transmission issue and getting a proper 2-cycle exhaust. I'm finding that parts are very hard to find for this bike, but I like a challenge.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
...1969 Yamaha R3 350... I'm finding that parts are very hard to find for this bike,
understatement of the week.

Restore the bike as best you can. Don't hack up something that won't exist in a couple more years.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Hello all. I just picked up a 1969 Yamaha R3 350, so I figured I'd join here to expand my knowledge. I'm new to the 2-cycle game, and hoping this bike will be a fun project.

Not too much planned at the moment, aside from sorting out a transmission issue and getting a proper 2-cycle exhaust. I'm finding that parts are very hard to find for this bike, but I like a challenge.
When you figure out what you need, let me know. I sold my TR2, but still have a few bits and pieces that interchange with R3. Somewhere I have the remains of a R3 engine that I bought for backup parts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you figure out what you need, let me know. I sold my TR2, but still have a few bits and pieces that interchange with R3. Somewhere I have the remains of a R3 engine that I bought for backup parts.
Do you have any airbox parts that might work? The housing for the air filter is there, but I'm missing the filter and the rubber joints that connect to the carbs. As of now, my thought is to remove the housing and install a couple stubby pod filters.

The exhaust is looking to be the biggest challenge. PO didn't have the original exhaust and had Harley sportster pipes on there. I may just have a set built by Dynoport, which is about an hour away from me.

I do have a spare engine that's mostly intact, but I'd certainly be interested if you have some usable parts.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Do you have any airbox parts that might work? The housing for the air filter is there, but I'm missing the filter and the rubber joints that connect to the carbs. As of now, my thought is to remove the housing and install a couple stubby pod filters.

The exhaust is looking to be the biggest challenge. PO didn't have the original exhaust and had Harley sportster pipes on there. I may just have a set built by Dynoport, which is about an hour away from me.

I do have a spare engine that's mostly intact, but I'd certainly be interested if you have some usable parts.
I only collected stuff that could be used on the TR2 (+ R3 backup engine) and it didn't use an airbox or filters. If you already have a spare R3 engine then you likely have pretty much everything I have as far as R3 in concerned. I may still have some NOS Yamaha R3 oversize pistons and rings etc, but you can likely find those on Ebay somewhere closer to you if you aren't in a rush.

ps. you will find those rubber joints on Ebay as well. Manifolds are available in the aftermarket as well as showing up on Ebay from time to time if you need them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This guy does not ship as far as I know but he buys and sells vintage bikes, Does Mid Ohio. SO if you were willing to drive to pickup he might have or know where to get what you want.
Checked with him, but he doesn't have any R3 parts. He didn't know of anyone that might, either. Appreciate the suggestion though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was there today talking about some pipes for my Bridgestone and saw your bike. It looks like it's in very nice shape.
Oh, cool. So are you going to pull the trigger? Rich is a very interesting and knowledgeable guy. I'm glad I found this place.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What a cool old survivor. I would hunt down a set of original mufflers, or very similar ones from that era of "big" twin smokers. That bike just needs very modest suspension upgrades and good tires, and it'll do just fine in like company.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What a cool old survivor. I would hunt down a set of original mufflers, or very similar ones from that era of "big" twin smokers. That bike just needs very modest suspension upgrades and good tires, and it'll do just fine in like company.
*Expansion chambers are being fabricated over the next couple weeks. I just put new IRC GS-11 tires and new tubes on it. Bike came with a new front tire, so I decided to just get a matching rear. I'm sure there are better options out there.

I haven't looked into the suspension yet, but if you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
As to the forks, a baseline rebuild with good seals and fork oil, a careful check of springs to spec length, then maybe add in a bit of spring preload with 2 or 3 washers on top of the springs.

As far as the rear shocks, most likely replace with modern pattern shocks like Ikons (new builders of Koni spec shocks).

Make sure the headstock bearings are all good, no divots in the races, and re-pack with moly grease.

Check swingarm spindle bushings for any perceptible slop and replace if the least bit loose when thoroughly clean. Install new or repack good old bushings with plenty of moly grease.

Oh, yea, MAKE SURE you have good brakes! (and a working kill switch/button)

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Oh, cool. So are you going to pull the trigger? Rich is a very interesting and knowledgeable guy. I'm glad I found this place.
I never would have found it if you hadn't mentioned it. I was in Syracuse looking at my daughter's new house and decided to stop there on my way home. I'm going to take my bike there next week to see if he can make me a set of chambers to the specs I've got.

And stop calling them mufflers. It's a two stroke. They are expansion chambers. The things on the end that make them slightly quieter are called silencers. :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That bike will make people stop and look, in a long line up of bikes. My friends back in the day were all on Harley's and put shit tons of money into them. When we'd stop for "refreshments" people would be checking them out but they would most often stop at my $1,605.00 Triumph. I soaked that up every time. Nice find, treat it well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never would have found it if you hadn't mentioned it. I was in Syracuse looking at my daughter's new house and decided to stop there on my way home. I'm going to take my bike there next week to see if he can make me a set of chambers to the specs I've got.

And stop calling them mufflers. It's a two stroke. They are expansion chambers. The things on the end that make them slightly quieter are called silencers. :)
I only found out about them a couple weeks ago, thanks to a 2012 thread on Everything2Stroke that listed 10 or so places around the US that are/were known to be able to fabricate chambers. I guess it makes sense that I've never heard of this place, as they're known more for snowmobiles, dirtbikes, and 4 wheelers.

And I've corrected my use of the word muffler in my earlier post. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts