Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys?

I have a '76 cb550f that I'm cafe-ing not to race so much... more for the culture I guess.. anywhoo... I was wanting to find some alternate intake options... pod mods if you will... but I can't seem to find anything but chinese emgo crap on the net...

if you could post some links or ideas for some better options that would be awesome... I'm a poor college student but I dont want crap on my bike... and i would like the added HP... and also if anyone has or knows where I could buy an oversized rear sprocket without having to get one custom made that would be beneficial too.. thanks alot

-Matt

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
if you don't want crap on your bike then forget pods all together and stick with the stock airbox, nothing seems to work better for a street bike. And no you wont get more hp with pods. If you absolutley simply must have pods for your "culture" ride then go with uni or K&N. K&N used to make a replacement high flow filter for the cb550 airbox, don't know if they still do but if you can get your hands on one it is an improvement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man... If I do go with pods you think it will lower the HP at all??

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey man, you are going to HAVE to learn the search function. we have discussed pod mods till we are all blue in the face. i don't mean to be a total ass, just trying to save you some trouble later on. cliff notes on pods + 550: unless you are a jetting genius, you will NEVER get the bike to run right with the pods. there is air turbulence in the pod area, and the carbs don't like it. now, there is a set up on dotheton that impressed several members (including me) here. we have a link ot it in the general forum.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
One of the bigger complaints with pods, even if you get them to run right at idle and low speeds are that they don't draw sufficient airflow in the turbulent air above 50mph. The motor will actually starve for air because it is so roiled, which is kind of unusual. Every bike is different and some respond well to pods, but SOHC4 hondas need smooth air entering the carbs. Some have even speculated that the air traveling over the pods themselves creates a low pressure area which draws air out of the carbs.

Two things to know about pods vs airbox - Inside the airbox are mini rubber velocity stacks that some honda engineer poured countless sliderule and pencil hours into determining the proper shape and characteristics to maximize smooth fuel/air delivery. You could probably get the same effect with a set of velocity stacks but you would be giving up the air filter which means decreased carb life. The chamber inside the airbox gives smooth still air for the engine vacuum to draw down the rubber velocity stacks. Most pods do not have those velocity stacks, but instead have a flat board shape for a base which causes more air turbulence inside the filter and the carb.

here is the link to the do the ton mod:
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=1470.15

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
my xs400 did not have little mini yamaha sliderule, drafting paper velocity stacks; it had a rectangular inlet, a lawnmower foam filter and and a gaping hole funnled to the emmisions cv carbs.
lack of performance designed airbox aside, pods are a huge endevour despite it being so easy to install the pod itself. working with jetting and needle issues on my twin are maddening enough, i couldn't imagine a four cylinder, and have thought serously about just getting a thumper and halving my work. pods look sleek but you'll lose power unless you're ready to tweak with the bike A LOT.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
To add to Geeto's comments - I saw some Italian bike Mfg that actually has movable velocity stacks inside their airbox to enhance performance based on throttle and engine speed. This topic has been beat to death - our advice, if it's a street bike, keep your airbox - if it's a track machine and you need to get every stinking ounce of HP out of the engine and you really know what your doing - then go with pods or velocity stacks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
alright guys, i just put down my bat and left my dead horse in the field...did i miss anything??

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yea - just take another swing at that dead horse to insure it's really dead...

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yep, horse is still dead. beating it sure it fun though...back to the field....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a 74 cb 550F and thought about taking the box off and putting pods on due to finding the f***ing air filters for under 30 usd shipped.

I did not change them over due to the airflow issues and aside all the facts that people are saying about airflow over the pods creating a negative airflow you also get a bigger one from your legs being in the same area that the air is getting drawn into the carbs.

I hate having to buy airfilters so I am making a reusable one out of a old air filter and a reusable filter, I will post pictures of the steps and will prolly have enough to make 3 out of the K&N filter I am canabalizing.

Prolly going to pass one off to Tony up at cycle barn in seattle since he has a 550 in need of love.

That being said if you need to have pods just to rip the sides off of your bike, prolly some sort of fabricated metal ducting under the tank to the carb area to force feed it at higher speeds when airflow is at it's worst might work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Psh. It's a 500, Matt.

You get those bars working for you yet? Let me know what you have in those filters if you get one working. I'd gladly give you what its worth!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
I've made air filters before back when I had a CB550. I bought a big old cheap round car airfilter and cut it apart to get the filter paper out. I then cut all the old paper out of the stock honda filters. Put the new paper in with silicone caulking. Worked great.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Rob
that's bordering on a Martha Stewart project.

" up next- a K+N Thanksgiving centerpiece"

·
Registered
699 Posts
after the break...i'll show you how to make a delightful pre-mix stew

·
Registered
86 Posts
total cost in materials for up to 3 or 4 reuseable filters is 35 bucks, which oddly enough is what i am paying per throwaway filter atm.

will let you know when i have a working prototype and will photodocument everything as it goes and repost here and over on sohc4 forums as well.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Hey, fill out the rest of your bio, you retro-hipster douche.

Sorry, that's just the mood I'm in today.

Welcome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts