Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

just wanted to say hello. My name is Pete and I live in Northern NJ. I was helping you all could help me out. I am looking for a Cafe Racer of my own. I am kind of looking for some guideance. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be cool. Like do I buy a modded out bike already? Or do it myself. If anyone knows any good spots in NYC or Jersey let me know.

Thanks!

Pete

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Pete, welcome aboard! Northern NJ has plenty of awesome riding, you'll be busy once you get some wheels. I would say start your search for a bike in the local classifieds and craigslist, find an old moto that strikes your fancy and scoop it up. For a first bike I recommend you get a running bike! Don't start with a resto, it'll always be more work than you think and a first bike should be about riding. Mods are something you can do whenever, making a bike a 'cafe' is just a streamlining process... getting rid of all the superfluous equipment. The type of bike you start with is up to you.

Good spots, for what?
Drinks? Bagels? Parts? Hookers? Steaks? Camping?

BORN TO LURK, FORCED TO WORK.
www.NYCvinMoto.com
www.VinMoto.org

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
hookers steaks and camping. now youre talkin!

buy a honda.

jc

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hey Pete,

Greetings from New Jersey!

In response to your question, I have three for you:

1. Are you a licensed motorcyclist? If not, the best means of getting your endorsement and staying alive in NJ is the Rider Ed program. You can view the locations and get sign-up info here:

http://www.rider-ed.com/

My apologies if your already a licensed cyclist and I'm covering old ground here - I figured I would start with the basics....

2. Are you mechanically inclined or do you wish to learn from working on your own bike? Also something to consider in this part of the country is do you have the space to work on a bike? This will be a large part of your "make or buy" decision. If you don't wish to turn wrenches and you've got no space to work on a bike, then something new and under warranty would be the way to go - maybe a Ducati Sport Classic or a Triumph? If you can turn wrenches or want to learn then the sky is the limit as you can get performance parts for damned near anything. Plus you can bolt on rear-sets, clubmans or clip-ons, and a bumstop to almost any bike made...

3. What do you like? V-twins? Parallel twins? In-line fours? Triples? Opposed twins? Old or modern? Two stroke or four? You're really kind of spoiled for choice here. In the end you'll be the one riding it so you really should ride what you like....

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys,

thanks for the welcome.

I have picked up a honda cb750, 76.

Actually Jim I have to renew my license. (argh)

So I will take some pictures when I get it so you all can see the process.

Thanks All,

Pete

Anyone have any suggestions on a place to get good parts for the cafe mod?

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts