Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I about to embark in an epic journey to building my first cafe racer. I have decide to join this forum in order to assist me in the build and to meat fellow riders. I have been reading past threads and noticed that there are alot of helpful members with alot of experience in building C.R.

I will be working on a 1971 CB350. I purchased this bike from the original owner about 2 1/2 years ago. I kept the bike stock until now that I have discover Cafe's. Let the good times roll.

I did what last night !!!!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
welcome

got any pics of that bike?

A couple of things:

- The search function is your friend. So much has been talked about here that chances are whatever question you have has already been asked and answered.

- Fill in your location in your profile. If there are local peeps to you this helps them know that and they can help you get into other local bike related things and some not bike related things...

- A lot of us on this board know each other in real life, so things get pretty jocular around here. Don't take anything personal (espically if someone calls you gay over your handlebar choice), we fuck around a lot.

- When posting tech questions, always always always post as much information as possible. It sounds stupid but also post the year and make and model of your bike. Can't help you if we don;t know what you are working on.

- A lot of guys here are racers or ex-racers in one form or another so there is a big emphasis on funcationality of the motorcycle over looks. You'll see how often this comes up.

Some friendly advice:

- Don't ask about clubman bars. It has been done to death. While the do fit on your bike there are pages and pages and pages about what bars to choose and how to figure out bike egoronomics. read that first. As one of the board assholes and a card carrying member of the "clubmans are gay" association I consider you to have been warned.

- Same above goes for "Knee indentations"

- Don't let what people say here intimidate you into not working on your bike. Lots of us have a gruff manner but all in all the idea is to help.

I'm sure more will add to this so I am punching out for now.

welcome to the monkey house....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is nothing like a warm greeting to start things right. I will post pictures of the project later today.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
there are guys here from whom you can go a long way toward "cafe" heaven. parts like rims, (nice) folding foot pegs, and bars (clubmans and clip-ons both). (try "champ") and smart engine guys (like jbranson). and an endless supply of other guys with points of views worth hearing out but not taking too seriously.
parks

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
i think geeto is slipping. that was very nice and well writen. helpful and caring toward the new guy.....WOW lol

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
687 Posts
please visit the faq threads and learn how to post pictures and follow the links to find the shop manuals for your bike...cheers

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are the pictures of the 1971 Honda CB350 at its present state. i will post more pictures as the project progressis.

Edited by - geeto67 on Sep 28 2007 6:21:14 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Gotta get rid of that sissy bar. Looks like the hideous unholy off-spring if a diner chair and a wrought iron fence had hot sweaty babymaking sex....

That bodywork however is in really nice shape. My advice is if you are planning on repainting it you should get a junky tank and side covers and keep that OEM candy green out of the sun.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear right now but....I am going to wager you are new are riding too. If this is the case I would swap out those high bars (which can't be comfortable) for a nice set of superbike bend or drag bars and just get comfortable riding the bike the way it is first while you plan out on paper all the changes you want to make.

If you want to go clubmans or clipons you really ought to do rearsets at the same time so you are comfortable, so while you are gathering those parts a nice euro style bar like those mentioned above will help you get used to riding in a more "sporting position"

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
I'll go out on a limb here and say that that bike should probably be left alone . . . yes, get rid of the sissy bar and maybe some lower bars, but it's a nice bike . . .

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
That poor bike looks sooo lonely, parked amidst all those stinkin' Harleys. What happened to the bags? Let us (me) know if you want to sell 'em.

That is a really nice lookin' bike. I might be tempted to leave it as is, too. Although superbike bars are pretty awesome.

·
Registered
687 Posts
my cl350 used to real clean and pretty in stock condition and i thought it would be sacrilege to strip it till i realized that the 350's really aren't that rare. these bikes were one of the best selling bikes honda ever produced, hence the 20 sumodd pages of bikes and parts listed on ebay.

i would recommend putting some euro bars or something and riding it around before you drop the bars lower but it is your bike and i'd do what ever you want with it just do it right the first time. my last suggestion is that unless you have an abundance of free space to store it all and really think you might put all the old shit back on it sell it all on ebay a clean tank seat and side covers will help pay for a lot of the other things you want to do to the bike.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planing on painting a different tank and there will be no side covers on the bike. I have already removed the sissy bar from the bike. The handle bars are definitely been replaced. I have already order a seat for the bike. I am just waiting for some parts to come in to begin the build process. The front of the bike will have a disk brake installed from a 1973 cb350. The engine will be painted black with the fins polished and the engine covers maybe chromed. The pipes are going to be re-chromed as well as the front forks.

Thanks for all of the compliments and suggestions for the bike.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
yeah and what are your plans for the saddle bags/luggage.......

i'll get in line behind judy.........

it is a very nice looking bike as is......be careful not to fuck it up!

texy

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome aboard.

My first bike was a 350F, boy did I love her. Good luck on the project. Keep the pictures rolling.

-chiro18

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the saddle bags, the only problem is that I am missing one of the lids. About two weeks ago it flew off on the freeway going about 90 mph. It was my mistake for not making sure the cover was closed properly. But if any one wants them I will send them the cases if your willing to pay for the shipping. You could probably have some one make a copy of the the other lid out of fiberglass. They have the rear tails lights installed with turn signals. I also have all of the hardware for mounting onto a CB.

Send me an email [email protected] in regards to the saddle bags.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
i will wait to see what judyramone wants to do as he expressed interest in them first. if he isn't interested, i am and will gladly pay the shipping.

thanks for the reply,

tex

1 - 19 of 19 Posts