Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it arrived this morning, fits perfect, i love it, ive wanted a modern genuine Bell helmet for years, just need a dark visor for it now

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cool, nice helmet. I'm due for a new one myself. Looking at an Icon in Hi-Vis. My morning commutes are grey and I need to stand out more.

I like the Bell in big letters.
Billy

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i was thinking of having 'Bell' airbrushed on it .

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
speaking of new helmets, I got a new one over the weekend as well:

pinstriped by Skratch at the NY mc show. Known him for about a year, super nice guy. He has his own designs with bell so they bring him to the mc shows and honestly I don't know why more people don't take advantage of this.....the man is a master artist.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i used to wear an open faced helmet all the time years ago, untill i saw a guy with no bottom jaw, and, my friend went face 1st into a car and killed him outright, he wouldve had more chance of survival had her wore a good quality full face, so im afraid saftey overcomes coolness for me now, apart from that i value my eyes.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Hey! I am usually the dick warning of the evils of open face helmets. No fair!

yeah this is pure shelf candy. Skratch is a pretty famous artist here in the states among the kustom kulture set and this helmet is pretty special to me.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to be fair, a full frontal accident would probably make you better looking Geets .

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Back in the 70's I wore an open face helmet like yours Geeto. I went down one night on a dark night in the apex of a turn when I hit sand. I face planted hard into the asphalt. Fortunately I had a full face shield on it instead of just goggles. That face shield shattered into a million pieces but face came out in take.
Here's another helmet story for you. I was at a party one night getting blitzed when my friend and I decide to take his H2 Kawi 500 (which we all know corner like a Ferrari, yeah right) out to the Evel Kneivel road jump in town. I was not so wasted to think to stop at my parents house and grab his full face helmet. We proceed to said street and I get off and watch Jack take the jump barely getting airborne over the jump. I said "Give it to me and let me show you how a pro does it" Being in the state I was in as I started my approach from about 3/8 mile away as I am banging gears I notice I am heading to the right armco not realizing how much of a curve there was leading into the jump so I'm leaning hard to the left to avoid it and then quickly throwing the bike to the right to straighten out for the jump when I get the notorious H2 tank slapping shimmy and hit that jump at about 65mph and instead of going up and off it I basically go into it where it pitches me off the front of it. I hit the ground the first time and it bounced me back into the air where it became eerily silent before Thud, tumble, tumble, tumble back into the air and more eerie silence before repeating said tumbling act for a second and third time before coming to a rest sitting spread eagle on the asphalt looking in the direction I had come from about 100 yards from the jump. Mind you Jack, who owns the bike, is standing right at the jump watching me total his new H2. He comes running up to me yelling "are you alright" Thinking I'm half dead. I'm just saying " Oh shit, look what I did to your bike" He replies "Fuck the bike , are you ok". I get to my feet and realize it's another one I am going to live through. I get up and start accessing my injuring which are many but not life threatening. I am road rashed from top to bottom. I had scrapes on the fronts of my knee, the backs of my knees, my arm has a nasty deep raspberry, my ankle are scraped, etc. But the thing that hurt the most was on one of the landings I must have had my hands out because it peeled the skin back on every one of my finger tips, filled the open wound with road debris and then the skin closed back over and let me tell you this Freakin hurt and stung like nothing else. I immediately grabbed the helmet by the chin bar and headed back to the party for some much needed Quaaludes. I took a rough cloth to the major wound on my arm opting not to go to the ER because I knew they would take a wire brush to it and I wasn't up to anymore pain for one night. I then had one of my friends take me home to my house stopping by my parents to drop off my bro's helmet. In all the commotion I never looked at the helmet to see what it looked like. I sneak in the house (2:30am) and leave the helmet on the table where I found it and head home. My brother was away for the weekend and was not home. The next day I wake up sober and access my wounds which were substantial but again nothing broken or major. I head to the doctor and get checked out. They ask why I didn't go to ER the night before and I explain the avoidance of the wire brush and to just give me lots of pain pills. I then head to my parents house to let them know what happened. I walk in and see my folks and they were freaked out. I didn't realize the way I carried the helmet back the mile or so to the party that the way I was carrying it had my finger tips against the inside of the bottom of the face shield blood dripping from my fingertips running UP the shield. when my folks got up the next morning and came downstairs they were greeted to this totally trashed helmet with blood running up the face shield and wondered if my brother was dead or maimed. As soon as they saw me come through the door and saw me all bandaged up they off on me for not letting them know sooner and how irresponsible I was, blah, blah, blah.
Any ways, I never rode again without a full face helmet as that one probably saved my life. My friends back then said I would never live to see 21, my parents later confessed the same thoughts. Well here at going on 60 I believe I am going to outlive all those naysayers (over 20 of my classmates are already dead). My friends now say I should write a book about my life. I don't think anyone would read it but who's know I've been through some pretty wild stuff in my time.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
actually that's a pretty awesome story. I don't think you could make any money off a book like that but who says it has to be about money - just having those stories around is kinda worth it and with self publishing being what it is these days it would be easy to get it out there.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
The bike somehow "disappeared" and he filed an insurance claim on it. The motor somehow ended up in a go kart I built, that was a scary machine.
The book wouldn't be just about my motorcycle antics but lots of other off the wall shit that has happened to me through my life. My friends thought just the BS I went through in my year long divorce was worth a couple of chapters. Then there were my sky diving antics that were many.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
The bike somehow "disappeared" and he filed an insurance claim on it. The motor somehow ended up in a go kart I built, that was a scary machine.
The book wouldn't be just about my motorcycle antics but lots of other off the wall shit that has happened to me through my life. My friends thought just the BS I went through in my year long divorce was worth a couple of chapters. Then there were my sky diving antics that were many.
Hunter S. Thompson made a living at writing some off the wall shit, why not you? The worst that could happen is you get some rejection notices and e-publish yourself.

Jim

·
Registered
658 Posts
Like the new Helmet Tony. Great story Marc. But I am going to differ with folks a little here. While i have and always wear either a full face or an open, I am a big proponet of choice. We don't ride motorcycles to be unsafe. But we sure as shit don't ride motorcycles to be safe. Wear what you want even if it's nothing.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Funny story sir. I laughed.

Full face all the way. Called by the cops at 7am a few year back to find out that a very good friend of mine had put me as next of kin. He was in the meat wagon after being cut off, knocked clean out. I raced to the hospital, to find out his teeth were the first things to hit the ground. The joke is his teeth were beyond all over the place before, and now he has a perfect fake smile. Had me always thinking till I finally picked up my shoei.

Mind you. This beckons the story of another good friend, Mr Busa' Spinks. Glenn is a 55 year old mad man. He's owned 6 busa's now, either wrecking them (two) or wearing them out. (130,000 km's on most of them). Two wheel drifts in the wet sort of guy.

Anyway. Back in the early 80's Glen ran a full face Bell. He took a Katana 1100 for a spin from the local dealer, not knowing the front disks were warped. Front bit when cranked over, fast turn down he goes. The helmet compressed when he hit the ground breaking his cheek bone, shoving a fragment behind the eye, severing the cord and also crushing his nose. Mind you if he was in an open face Glenn wouldn't be tearing up the roads like he does nowadays. He's a mean looking bastard, but he's the nicest guy you could ever chat with. Big Suzuki nut through and through but learnt to ride fast on the dirt. It shows.

Don't have paint? Glenn killed some Roo's and used their skin. Fucking funny guy.

Anyway.

Go the mighty Shoei. Best purchase I've ever made. Dread the day I'll have to replace it. Her? Her.

·
Registered
783 Posts
to be fair, a full frontal accident would probably make you better looking Geets .
Damn.

I miss this place.
Just stopping in to put some stuff in the "for sale" section but thought I'd poke around...
New Forum looks funny, I liked the old one better...

Tony I guess things worked out okay, or are they letting you go online in jail?...
Geeto I guess you're a dad by now?

Anyway I'll be back sometime, still riding my EX500 and have now taken a Jeep on for a project, for the winter days when I cannot ride.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Like the new Helmet Tony. Great story Marc. But I am going to differ with folks a little here. While i have and always wear either a full face or an open, I am a big proponet of choice. We don't ride motorcycles to be unsafe. But we sure as shit don't ride motorcycles to be safe. Wear what you want even if it's nothing.

I am a big proponent of informed choice which doesn't really happen all that much in the land of motorcycle gear. Bell certainly isn't going to tell you about the correlation between jaw injury and brain damage and death, even though they are in the best position to. Why? 3/4 helmets sales are partially responsible for their business tripling in size in the last two years. I know plenty of new riders that think a 3/4 DOT approved helmet is just as good as a full face, an we all know that not to be true. I am not saying you have to be AGATT, I certainly don't ride around NYC in a race suit (though I know guys who do) but at the same time there are a few pieces of gear which you should alway buy the most protective if you are going to spend te money: helmets and gloves are at the top of that list.

·
Official Site Vendor
4,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ride at 100mph at every oppertunity, if im gonna come off the bike and slide down the road on my face id prefer to be wearing a full face helmet, i also wear tough lether gloves, an armoured textile jacket, steel toecap boots and kevlar lined jeans.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
There are helmet war stories and then there are pictures - this is a picture of me in the hospital the day after my run in with a deer on 11-Nov-2012... Does anyone have another helmet question...

face.jpg

1 - 20 of 43 Posts