Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Since we're open for opinions:
Side mount plates are so chopper, and way more likely to slice your leg on mounting or dismounting the bike.

"...thinking of putting on a drum front wheel for simplicities sake"
and here I was thinking disc brakes are way more simple!:/

360 a starter bike for girls? I know a guy who had one as his second bike! ...mind you he was 14 years old when he bought it.

and please, please, buy that poor girl some cheap riding gloves, the first thing she is going to do in a spill is put her hands out to break the fall.

+1 on clean that thing, spray carb cleaner and an old tooth brush works wonders, at least until the cleaner melts the tooth brush ;)
My Trials bike is cleaner than that and it has never even seen pavement.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Since we're open for opinions:
Side mount plates are so chopper, and way more likely to slice your leg on mounting or dismounting the bike.

"...thinking of putting on a drum front wheel for simplicities sake"
and here I was thinking disc brakes are way more simple!:/

360 a starter bike for girls? I know a guy who had one as his second bike! ...mind you he was 14 years old when he bought it.

and please, please, buy that poor girl some cheap riding gloves, the first thing she is going to do in a spill is put her hands out to break the fall.

+1 on clean that thing, spray carb cleaner and an old tooth brush works wonders, at least until the cleaner melts the tooth brush ;)
My Trials bike is cleaner than that and it has never even seen pavement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Got the carbs off last night and cleaned a bunch of crud out of the left float bowl (the side that wasn't firing). Cleaned the jets on both sides and the left side was a little crudded up.

I also replaced the phillips screws that held the carbs to the cylinder head with 10mm hex head bolts. Now if I gotta get them off again, I can.

I don't know if I mentioned that I picked up my new petcock yesterday and some new fuel lines.

It's all coming together.

Like it or not, I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Got the carbs off last night and cleaned a bunch of crud out of the left float bowl (the side that wasn't firing). Cleaned the jets on both sides and the left side was a little crudded up.

I also replaced the phillips screws that held the carbs to the cylinder head with 10mm hex head bolts. Now if I gotta get them off again, I can.

I don't know if I mentioned that I picked up my new petcock yesterday and some new fuel lines.

It's all coming together.

Like it or not, I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had a buddy who wrecked at about 45mph. In town, guy in a truck behind/to the side of him just plowed into his lane. Nothing he could do. Helmet saved his life, jacket saved most of his skin...no gloves, though. He usually wore them, but on this "quick, short trip" he neglected to do so. Guess who had skinless shredded meat hands. Have you guessed it? Yup. It was the guy who wasn't fucking wearing his gloves. Poor Mike.

Every time I think about jumping on the bike without gloves, I just imagine my skinless ground meat hands. Then I put on my fucking gloves because I want to keep the skin on my hands. That's just me. If you're not a big fan of skin on your fucking hands, then by all means, go gloveless.

360s are cool, by the way. Don't let the bastards get you down for having a small displacement bike. Not exactly cross-country touring material, but otherwise lotsa fun. I sure hope when you had those carbs off, you took the time to clean them properly, all the fun little orifices. Hope the new petcock has an in-tank filter screen. That will help a little. I would also throw an in-line fuel filter in there. There's just no reason not to, and if you get a clear one and don't have clear fuel lines, it gives you some indication of whether gas is moving through the line.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I had a buddy who wrecked at about 45mph. In town, guy in a truck behind/to the side of him just plowed into his lane. Nothing he could do. Helmet saved his life, jacket saved most of his skin...no gloves, though. He usually wore them, but on this "quick, short trip" he neglected to do so. Guess who had skinless shredded meat hands. Have you guessed it? Yup. It was the guy who wasn't fucking wearing his gloves. Poor Mike.

Every time I think about jumping on the bike without gloves, I just imagine my skinless ground meat hands. Then I put on my fucking gloves because I want to keep the skin on my hands. That's just me. If you're not a big fan of skin on your fucking hands, then by all means, go gloveless.

360s are cool, by the way. Don't let the bastards get you down for having a small displacement bike. Not exactly cross-country touring material, but otherwise lotsa fun. I sure hope when you had those carbs off, you took the time to clean them properly, all the fun little orifices. Hope the new petcock has an in-tank filter screen. That will help a little. I would also throw an in-line fuel filter in there. There's just no reason not to, and if you get a clear one and don't have clear fuel lines, it gives you some indication of whether gas is moving through the line.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Get good with cleaning the carbs you'll be doing it a lot, it's a sign of the times ever since they took the lead out, unleaded fuel has a shelf life shorter than a gnat and the octane rating numbers on the pump generally has little relevance to the stale piss they are actually selling you.

Never assume your carbs are good just because you've recently cleaned them either, I've cleaned the same carb six times before it finally started working perfect, the fuel and air pathways are microscopic critical when it comes to optimum performance.

CV (constant velocity) carbs are a complex curse, they are totally dependent on vacuum to operate and a normally aspired engine has barely enough vacuum to operate efficiently, without using some up to move things like carb slides.

Fuel Injection rocks by comparison, because the entire fuel system is normally waterlogged and fuel is not prone to evaporation while inside the system.

...360 isn't really a small displacement bike, if it was a 250 v-twin 2-stroke or had 6 cylinders it could be pushing 90+ horsepower. But in it's normal state the CB360 is a very tame ride & that's a good thing for a first time rider !!! You are going to love it.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Get good with cleaning the carbs you'll be doing it a lot, it's a sign of the times ever since they took the lead out, unleaded fuel has a shelf life shorter than a gnat and the octane rating numbers on the pump generally has little relevance to the stale piss they are actually selling you.

Never assume your carbs are good just because you've recently cleaned them either, I've cleaned the same carb six times before it finally started working perfect, the fuel and air pathways are microscopic critical when it comes to optimum performance.

CV (constant velocity) carbs are a complex curse, they are totally dependent on vacuum to operate and a normally aspired engine has barely enough vacuum to operate efficiently, without using some up to move things like carb slides.

Fuel Injection rocks by comparison, because the entire fuel system is normally waterlogged and fuel is not prone to evaporation while inside the system.

...360 isn't really a small displacement bike, if it was a 250 v-twin 2-stroke or had 6 cylinders it could be pushing 90+ horsepower. But in it's normal state the CB360 is a very tame ride & that's a good thing for a first time rider !!! You are going to love it.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
OK... perhaps I was a little bit too sarcastic in my previous posts, but I do give you credit for hanging around.

You don't seem to have a good plan. Engine needs 3 things to run; spark, fuel/air & compression. Having removed the carbs, you are now unable to determine if you're getting fuel into the cylinders... which also leaves you unable to do anything about timing. I think the bike has to be running to adjust cam chain, but it's been a while.
You need to be able to eliminate one variable at a time. Were I in your position, I would have left the carbs alone long enough to replace the battery & check to see if I had spark to both cylinders. Once I had eliminated spark as the trouble, I might have given a shot of starter fluid into the offending carb. If that got it to run on both jugs, I'd know I had a carb problem, and would set about diagnosing that problem.

Do you have any kind of manual yet? Can chain & valve adjustment procedures are goofy (most of my experience is with early 70s Triumphs, so it's goofy to me). You need a manual to do those things.

I'm not a hater, but watching your enthusiastic scattershot approach, I see this bike appearing on the central Illilnois Craigslist near you in very short order, as a basket case.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
OK... perhaps I was a little bit too sarcastic in my previous posts, but I do give you credit for hanging around.

You don't seem to have a good plan. Engine needs 3 things to run; spark, fuel/air & compression. Having removed the carbs, you are now unable to determine if you're getting fuel into the cylinders... which also leaves you unable to do anything about timing. I think the bike has to be running to adjust cam chain, but it's been a while.
You need to be able to eliminate one variable at a time. Were I in your position, I would have left the carbs alone long enough to replace the battery & check to see if I had spark to both cylinders. Once I had eliminated spark as the trouble, I might have given a shot of starter fluid into the offending carb. If that got it to run on both jugs, I'd know I had a carb problem, and would set about diagnosing that problem.

Do you have any kind of manual yet? Can chain & valve adjustment procedures are goofy (most of my experience is with early 70s Triumphs, so it's goofy to me). You need a manual to do those things.

I'm not a hater, but watching your enthusiastic scattershot approach, I see this bike appearing on the central Illilnois Craigslist near you in very short order, as a basket case.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
For the record, I like side-mount plates and have one myself. tough titty to the haters. and yes, I am lazy, Ken.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
For the record, I like side-mount plates and have one myself. tough titty to the haters. and yes, I am lazy, Ken.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

And I thought better of you until this.

Ken

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

And I thought better of you until this.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Well Ken, to be fair, I did trip over my license plate in the garage today and cussed it out, if that makes you feel better. also, the taillight is under the seat where it belongs, so I'm not a total loss.

Anyway, I don't own any two-stroke roadbikes yet so I have that on you, at least. I would appreciate your thoughts on a '70 Yamaha DS6 I am considering.

To the OP: threadjack! get it running and stopping first before you strip it all down. don't get all "custom" until you do that. I did it the wrong way and it took me 3 years. honestly, the sidemount plate is/was just a quick fix so I could ride, I got tired of waiting, ken is right, I'm just trolling.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Well Ken, to be fair, I did trip over my license plate in the garage today and cussed it out, if that makes you feel better. also, the taillight is under the seat where it belongs, so I'm not a total loss.

Anyway, I don't own any two-stroke roadbikes yet so I have that on you, at least. I would appreciate your thoughts on a '70 Yamaha DS6 I am considering.

To the OP: threadjack! get it running and stopping first before you strip it all down. don't get all "custom" until you do that. I did it the wrong way and it took me 3 years. honestly, the sidemount plate is/was just a quick fix so I could ride, I got tired of waiting, ken is right, I'm just trolling.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I've got the tank off and some other tidbits off to get sandblasted. Once it's all painted, I can get things going and get it running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I've got the tank off and some other tidbits off to get sandblasted. Once it's all painted, I can get things going and get it running.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts