Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been lurking more or less for a week. Pretty cool place though.
My background is working on cars, specificly subaru's, and rally cross and road racing.

I'm looking to build my own CB350 as a cafe racer just for kicks. I enjoy the building part as much as anything.
Also, i'm doing grad research on "something with two wheels" which will hopefully turn into some kind of fun motorcycle or commuter bike.

anyway, since i'm new, i have a lot to learn. Any books you can point me to, or knowledge to give, would be very welcomed. I just got back from the library and kinda failed at finding anything really useful (in about 20 min of searching haha).
this post is getting long...

anyway, right now i'm really interested in finding out more on:
cafe racer history
frame design
suspension geometry

i really want to understand what more or less rake will do, same with trail, wheelbase, etc. when it comes to riding feel. That kinda stuff.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
go to eurospares.com

check out the books section. everything you could ever want to know is there.

see you in 50 years.

jc

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
you will find more on the net then a book as far as cafe style bikes go.As a matter of fact bike mags just the past two years have been catching up with sprinkling of cafe articals sneeking up.
ace cafe london has a great library of pictures to give you ideas of what cafe bikes should look like for street use.
Branson builds race bikes(clever Dog Racing) and is very technical minded,Geeto is the historian and parts interchange guy .So stay here and learn cheaper then a book and more fun.
And welcome.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
books won't call you a fucktard (but we might)!

get a subscription to motorcyclist and classic bike or classic racer.

follow joe's advice and check out michael moore's eurospares site.

make a list of keywords after you start reading and compile your own database of info, start googling your keywords (some of my favorites are - manx, tt, redman, hailwood, porcupine, linto, pro britten, ajs 7r boy racer, etc.....)

grab the cb 350 and check out some of the go-fast internals at todd henning racing. other cool sites are teamhansenhonda, ohio caferacers, & toad town racing.

good luck and welcome!

tex

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Since it sounds like you are a new rider, the first recommended books I am going to throw out here is Keith Code's "twist of the wrist" 1 and 2. You have to have a full understanding about how a bike and rider move before you can start building a better mousetrap...er...motorcycle.

After that Tony Foale's book on chassis design is really really good but at $100 probably way out of your (or my) league. you can get used copies way cheaper on amazon but unless you have some understanding of engineering this may be a little too deep too. It will definatly answer all your questions though if you can slog through it.

As for history and pictures the two books I can recomend are:
cafe racers of the 1960's by Mick Walker, and
Rockers by Johnny Stuart

neither of these books will cover that many jap bikes.

Personally motorcycle magazines from the 70's are better for finding this info. they can be had for cheap at swap meets and are real back in the day period things.

The way cafe racers were built back in the day was by looking at the race bikes at the time and copying those looks for the street. You can do that today because of the popularity of the cb350 in vintage racing, find a local bike racer in vintage and hang around him/her until they are sick of you.

Somewhere I have an article on the basics of rake and trail, if I find it I'll post it here.

but let me give you some advice first - it sounds like you are being too ambitious with your first bike project. The bike you chose has a perfectly capiable stock frame, so why not start with that stock and then expirement with weight placement as an effect on handeling instead of being a fucktard and trying to make radical changes your rake and trail and make your bike all goofy and shit.

Also, do you own your 350 yet? you probably should actually own a bike before you start to tackle the hard stuff.

Edit: Since you live in Denver, try to find Tim George - tell him Kerry from NY sent ya (don't embarass me). Tim is walking breathing living mod culture and has an amazing technical mind when it comes to motorcycles, espically old ones. You can find him through the jedi knights scooter club there in denver. Last I spoke to him he was talking about racing VW's in baja so he might be a little tough to find.

Edited by - geeto67 on Jul 25 2007 10:10:51 AM

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i dont plan on building my own frame right off the bat! :)

The basic plan so far is to build a CB350 ratbike kind of thing, just something that runs and i can crash a few times. (slightly joking)
If i do modify the frame it will just be to lower the seat hieght, not to change the suspension geometry.

I dont plan on building my own frame for awhile, but for grad research i need the knowledge in hand from something i can quote. Proffessors and design firms aren't known to accept "well i read it in a magazine once..."
The link Joe C put up is an excellent resource.

....and i do have plenty of experience building things, just not motorcycles per se.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
beside if all esle fails he has the name burnera'p'....so burn her up man go for it!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts