Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here, just joined today, but i wanted to learn some more about the cafe stuff, meet some cool enthusiasts and what not. Here is my project, its a 1976 RD 400, and this is what i have so far. This weekend i'll be putting the motor in and possibly start hanging some electronics. Thanks for looking!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice ride and you can't go wrong with a RD. A RD of some sort/vintage will be in my bike stable one day!

You should cafe that Moped sitting up there while your at it. Put on some clubmans/clip-ons,weld in a crossbar and move the tank to a horizontal position,put on a tiny "Bum stop" seat on it etc. I think it would look pretty cool!

I love tiny bikes and two strokes in general. You should check out my Hodaka Ace project in the link below.[8D]

Also that bike next to the moped looks like it has a Hodaka/Triumph type/style tank on it. What is it? Combat Wombat perhaps?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tyler,
Looks good so far. What are you planning on doing with it? Street or track, I see you have a steering damper already mounted? There are lots of trick stuff that can be done to the RDs. They are a great vintage racer and you aren't too far from some tracks. I even endurance raced an RD400 in the late 70's. Keep up the good work and keep posting pics.

Ken

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
these pics are from my cousin's shop...the moped up there is a HARLEY DAVIDSON 50, and it already has clubmans on it! LOL!! and next to it is a Hodaka Combat Wombat. My cousin gave the RD to me for christmas this year since he knew i wanted to restore it so bad. the bike will be for the street. we have another RD that was a road racer, it is a 400F motor too, and its fully built, but i wanted something injector reliable, and the F motor needs pre-mix. if we can find another frame we are going to build it up too, but the steering stabilizer was in a box of parts that went with the road racer. i just wanted an awesome street bike that was reliable, dont need anything crazy fast! im a dirt track racer, so i get my adrenaline rush from that. if i go road racing (if i can ever afford it) it will be on one of the new 450cc bikes i think. thanks for the compliments guys, i feel like i have finally found a home here!! i'll keep you guys updated!

·
Registered
326 Posts
That was very nice of your cousin to give you that as a gift. Very nice indeed and good luck on the bike resto.
Any RD/RZ owner MUST check out http://www.usa2strokers.com/
They have some sweet ass bikes on there to say the least.

I hope to have many two strokes before I get too old to enjoy them.
Bikes such as Yamaha Rd/RZ, Suzuki GT380/T350/T500/GT750,Kawasaki KH400/H1/H2 etc.
Yeah,I love ring-a-ding bikes!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would love to have a kawi h2, but i think a racer with 100hp of two stroke tenacity would be a bad thing on the street...i'm going to have to fight to stay out of trouble with the 50 or so that the RD might have. but you guys are very right, it was extremely gracious of my cousin to give the bike to me. it has a cool story too, and since this is the project thread, i'll tell it:

This bike was purchased brand new by one of my cousin's best friends. His friend rode it daily and would take it to my cousin's shop for service. he would ONLY let dennis use geniune yamaha parts, even down to the tires. The owner passed away at a pretty young age from an illness (if i remember right) and the owner's parents wanted dennis to have the bike. Dennis let it sit in his garage for about 15 years, it hasnt been licensed even since 1991. He told me the last time it had run was in 1995. He had a set of coffman expansion chambers for the road race bike i mentioned above, and since the RD was kind of put together already (see first pic) i told him we should put the chambers on it for fun, and get it running. well, that turned into a sickness of sorts and i started talking about my plans for the build. Dennis quickly realized that i was wanting to do way more than he wanted to, and i wanted to spend a lot more money on it too...so for christmas he just gave me the title. Needless to say, it was the coolest present i got this year (and i got guitar hero! LOL) so quickly after i got the title, we stripped it down to the frame and i sent it out for a blast and coat job. This is a father/son project in a way and it has been a blast working on it. It has kept me out of the bars and from chasing women around because from 10am-10pm every saturday i am usually at his shop (55 miles from my house) working on the bike and there is nothing id rather be doing.

he is really into the street tracker style, so after we get this bike on the road, im going to build him his dream XL350 bike. he doesnt know, but i've already been stocking parts at my house for it. but bikes are my life pretty much and i plan to just always have some sort of bike project going. i love the cb400's that i am seeing here, i might have to pick up one of those after i get finished with my bobber project. anyway, i really appreciate the kind words and feel free to post advice or something!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
hurry up and get done with it

I want it!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alright guys, more progress over the weekend. this week the carbs and brakes are being assembled and we made out own bar mount mirror which is all painted up. here are the pics!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm with joe c. Now I want a 2 stroker! I already have 6 bikes and no girlfriend... I don't like where this is going.

It's going to be a great bike.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you so much for the words guys, it means a lot. this has been a really awesome project, and i have learned a ton about the restoration process. dont worry though nix, i have 3 bikes now and no chick either. everytime i get frustrated with women, i just go for a ride and nothing seems to bother me. besides, bikes just look better with a solo seat!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and check out what showed up in my mail box today!!! got these off of fleabay and they look great. a little cleaning and a bit of paint and they will be ready to go!

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Man, how's I miss this thread! If you have any RD questions, ask away!

I have a RD400 I'm restoring as well. I also have a RZ350 engine I'm putting in a RD chassis, with the RZ suspension. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh man, that does sound like a cool build!! the only question i have is on the jetting. from what i have seen, with chambers and open filters, recommended main jet size is 220-240. the bike was completely stock when it was torn down and had like a 160 main in it. ok, we are giving it a lot more fuel now...should we also "turn up" the oil pump to compensate? the guys over at USA2strokers wouldn't answer that question....

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Because they don't know. The oil pump is a pretty cool thing. It pumps a ton of oil at full throttle and just barely pumps anything at idle. Just make sure its functioning properly and you should be all set. Change out the black oil lines with clear lines so you can make sure oil is flowing.

Remember to start huge with the mainjets and work your way down. Always leave it a litle fat for the road.

Hot air = less dense = smaller jets
cold air = more dense = larger jets

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks unga...i was complaining about the guys on that board to one of my friends and he said the same thing...they don't know. there is a lot of conflict and strife on that board it seems. anywho, that oil pump is cool how it uses a third throttle cable to meter the oil. i liked that. good tip on the clear tubing, i'll look around and see if i have any at the shop. when it came time to jet, i was REALLY glad that i have been racing for 10 years, i have racked up a massive amount of mikuni jets, and didnt have to go out and buy any brass!! these new 4 stroke MX bikes though use keihin carbs though...so i am not too well stocked up on keihin stuff yet.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
There's like 2 or 3 guys on that forum that know their ass from their elbow, but they don't post as often anymore. If you do a search there, you can find some good info. Should do that before posting anyways.

And don't run ATF like some of those idiots run. Use a real gearbox oil. I've seized transmission because of that crap.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you are totally right Unga...the dumbies are always going to run off the ones who know their stuff, but can't tolerate the stupidity. they do have a really good FAQ section there, i read all the way through that thing!!! people that run ATF in their dirt stuff, i guess they might get a little better clutch action (i never noticed a difference in my race bike when i tried it) but a road transmission goes through a lot more stresses just from being used for long intervals. im running silkolene i my gear box and will continue with that, ive been running that in my race bikes since i started and it has served me well. the only change i made was with my KX250F, i run Castrol superbike in it and it looked great inside at tear down. thanks for the tips!!!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Tyler,
It is looking good. Since you are a flat tracker, how long do you think you will be able to hold out efore you go road racing? That RD is a great vintage racer. I raced an RD400 back when they were current production and with the available tires brakes and suspension available now they would be even better. Plus as you start collecting parts for your cafe, you will end up with enough spares to build a racer too. You already have leathers and experience. I think some other kids from KY moved from flat track to road racing and are doing ok.
Ken
P.S. Road racing is so much cleaner than the dirt. "Dirt is for planting potatoes and asphalt is for racing"

·
Registered
131 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 2smokeTyler

you are totally right Unga...the dumbies are always going to run off the ones who know their stuff, but can't tolerate the stupidity. they do have a really good FAQ section there, i read all the way through that thing!!! people that run ATF in their dirt stuff, i guess they might get a little better clutch action (i never noticed a difference in my race bike when i tried it) but a road transmission goes through a lot more stresses just from being used for long intervals. im running silkolene i my gear box and will continue with that, ive been running that in my race bikes since i started and it has served me well. the only change i made was with my KX250F, i run Castrol superbike in it and it looked great inside at tear down. thanks for the tips!!!
Theres almost no need for anyone to post anything about Rd's or Rz's on that site anymore. All the info is searchable. The search function sucks though. It crashes the page for me. But at least 1/2 the time I get the results before the crash. As far as all the bullshit, don't waste your time on any page but the mechanical zone.

I never thought about the mixture of fuel and oil changing when you re-jet. I would think the pump gives the crank all the oil it needs no matter how much fuel goes in.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts