Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up this bike yesterday. I plan on working on it immediately. My plans are a little mix of cafe, and stock. I want to keep the big seat since it's going to be a cruiser bike for my g/f and I. I have my chopped sporty bobber if I want to ride in style :p

The guy I picked it up from said it hasn't run in a while. He said he cleaned the carbs and everything and that he thinks it won't run because the cam chain is stretched. I don't know anything about these bikes, so once I start working on it I will figure it out. He said he could hear the chain slapping inside the case? when it was running. It has 24,299 miles on the clock, so maybe it needs a new cam chain? Is it adjustable? Any ideas, or suggestions?

I also picked up a disassembled parts bike from him also, so I have another motor, which he said runs, but slips in 3rd gear (don't ask how it can?)

I'd like to get the motor thats in the bike up and running since he said he's maintained it and changed the clutch.

Plans right now are just some clubman bars and to clean it up. It has brand new tires (not in the pics) so just getting it running should make it road ready! It's in really good condition considering it's age, well I think so.

Here are the pics he sent me. I cleaned it up a little today, the engine is a lot cleaner, but otherwise looks basically the same.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
That thing that sticks out between the cylinders on the back of the engine is the cam chain tensioner.

You need a manual:

Honda 450/500T Manuals

Does it have any compression? Does it turn over ok? Do you have spark?

Be advised this bike will not run with a dead battery. You need charged battery, even if you kickstart it.

I know this guy said he cleaned the carbs, but you ought to clean them. Any dirt at all and you'll have troubles.

Make sure there's no rust in the tank, if there is, get a POR kit for it.

Flush and clean the brake line on the front. Flush and change the oil, and the oil filter screen.

If the cam chain is really noisy, adding tension might not be enough, you may have to put a new cam chain and rollers in there. Look for metal and plastic chunks in the filter screen.

Finally, feel free to check out my thread - I also have a CB450, learn from my mistakes :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the informative reply. I downloaded a manual last night that I found on here, I think it's the same on you posted. I also got a few other PDF files. I was wondering what that thing was in the middle of the cylinders. I'll read some of the manual over tonight and see what I come up with.

I plan on cleaning the carbs myself to make sure it's done right, and thoroughly. They are not attached to the filters, and I think the choke was wide open, so I want to tear them apart first.

The tank has some very light surface rust inside, I'll clean it out. Does the petcock have a filter inside the tank attached it? I didn't see any place for a fuel filter, and doesn't look like there is room on the right side under the petcock itself.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
There might be a screen in there, I can't say as I'm not using the stock tank or petcock. I doubt it. Get a decent inline filter.

All the aluminum on the CB450 polishes up like big-money-bling, it's not too hard. If you have a bench grinder or a high-speed drill, just buy some buffing wheels and rouge (you can get both at Sears).

The carb slides can stick, a (very!) little spray oil works great in there. That thing looks a little crusty, make sure your carb boots aren't cracked.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but that exhaust looks pretty clean, which is good. I see someone pulled the fork covers off - they were probably dryrotted anyway. You might need new fork seals.

Tach cables (if yours is bad) are stupid expensive and hard to find. I just got a new sleeve, shortened it, and re-used the inner drive cable. CB350 throttle cables will work as a replacement for the throttle cables (the ones I found did, anyway).

The brake caliper pistons are hard to find and expensive.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

There might be a screen in there, I can't say as I'm not using the stock tank or petcock. I doubt it. Get a decent inline filter.

All the aluminum on the CB450 polishes up like big-money-bling, it's not too hard. If you have a bench grinder or a high-speed drill, just buy some buffing wheels and rouge (you can get both at Sears).

The carb slides can stick, a (very!) little spray oil works great in there. That thing looks a little crusty, make sure your carb boots aren't cracked.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but that exhaust looks pretty clean, which is good. I see someone pulled the fork covers off - they were probably dryrotted anyway. You might need new fork seals.

Tach cables (if yours is bad) are stupid expensive and hard to find. I just got a new sleeve, shortened it, and re-used the inner drive cable. CB350 throttle cables will work as a replacement for the throttle cables (the ones I found did, anyway).

The brake caliper pistons are hard to find and expensive.

Hope this helps!
I love the look of polished aluminum, but I'm probably not going to do it to this bike. I have polished many many parts over many projects, and it's not fun. I have wheel and compounds, everything I need from eastwood. I just don't want to bother with it. I hate polishing the cases on my sportster.

Everything related to the carbs and throttle move smoothly. I'll lube up the cable for sure though.

The exhuast is very clean, the front pipes are a bit rusty in the middle, but it's no big deal. I think I might leave it as it is, since this will be a cruising bike, aimed towards comfort.

The gaitors are missing. I plan on getting new ones to protect the forks, but they are very clean, some light pitting torward the top, but near the seals is near flawless. I also have another pair of forks, also in good condition, but the fluid inside doesn't sound healthy.

I want to get it running this week, which I don't think will be too hard. I'm more concerned about the cam chain as the guy told me, but it's hopefully nothing serious and will be fine with a little adjustment, i mean how much can the chain really stretch.

The chrome on the fenders of this thing is in unbelievably good condition, nearly not pitting, just some scratches, but thats about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts