Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Am I the only one who fell for the "introduce yerself gag?" I am a simple hillbilly. My primitive mind often has difficulty grasping the subtle nuances of your advanced and highly technical civilization... Anyway, I've been mostly a restorer up to this point. I'm 57. My first bike was a 1950s Cushman scooter my stepdad brought home one day and told me I could ride it if I could get it to run. It was missing the coil. I went to a local dump and found one on an old lawnmower. Then I filed off the mount on the scooter until the coil would fit--- no way in hell should that thing have started, but when I put the flywheel back on, it fired up. My dad immediately took it away and brought me a ragged looking '66 Honda Dream 250 with a hole in one piston. I got hold of a top end off a 305 (Superhawk?) and got it going, too. Shortly after that I was killed on it--- spent six months (after a jump start and 96 days in a coma) in a Memphis hospital, plus the next three summers getting more surgeries. I was 14.

As I was working through college (the first time) I bought a '72 TR6R basket case for $200. There was an old geezer in Paducah, Kentucky who claimed he was Gene Romero's pit mechanic who did a .030 overbore for me. He might have been--- he had pictures of Gene with what could have been him when he was younger. He actually taught me some tuning tricks on the later model, alcoholic assembled Meriden Triumphs. For instance, he showed me how to take a half round file and smooth out the casting flash left in the throat of the Amal Concentric that was on my bike, which made it run a good bit better! After that, I replaced the points with an electronic ignition, and put a Suzuki regulator/rectifier on it, which meant it got swapped to negative ground. I replaced the OEM 7-piece exhaust with a one piece 2 into 1 because I got tired of going back to pick up the parts that fell off.

Anyway, over the years, I've restored some Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, and Yamahas, an Aprilia Moped and my brother's Aermacchi (Harley) Sprint, and helped out friends when their Harleys quit. (I've never actually owned a Harley.) When I "restore" one, I usually try to find out everything I can about it, and if there are weak spots, I pre-emptively fix the problem as I go, so they are not necessarily back to original condition. Anyway, I'm going to try and get my garage orphans to maybe go a bit faster and handle a lot better, so here I am.

·
Registered
23,294 Posts
It's no gag, but the internet generation has forgotten how far a good solid introduction will get you. Most just show up asking how to fix the mess they got after they got in way over their heads and don't realize you can't be helpful to someone if you don't know who they are.

Anyway, welcome.

·
Registered
477 Posts
From a northern hillbilly to a southern hillbilly, welcome! ...you're in the right place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts