Cafe Racer Forum banner

New here!

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  texmawby 
#1 ·
Hey guys I am glad I found this site. I bought this 1978 cb400T to learn to ride and get my license on. I cleaned it up alot since this pic, new paint on tank and sides, but after I get my license free and clear I plan on Cafe styling it. I don't know why but I never got a pic of it since I fixed it up. I geuss I will have to before transforming it.

These pics were from the previous owner and it since has been painted base clear gold with everything clean again.
The wire wheels and and front drum is what drew me to the bikes, mostly for looks. I plan on putting an old chrome side honda tank on it and cafe tail and lowring it. However the upper triple trees are not clamp style. Is there some way around this, like a different upper triple? Or do I need to replace front end with something that does have clamp style. I want 11" rear shocks and lower the front a little. I also noticed my rear shocks have clevis style upper and lower mounts, is it hard to get lowering shocks for this? I geuss thats it for now. I am glad I found this site as its been a great inspiration to me allready.

Edited by - dubtruker on May 23 2007 3:51:20 PM

See less See more
#2 ·
Most older bikes benefiet from having the front end dropped and the rear riased or kept the same. I originally lowered my bike by a inch in the front and back and it felt the same, then I raised the back back up and it helped some and then I lowered my CB750 2 inchs in the front and omg what a difference. I could get another inch out of it but then I wouldn't be able to use my stock kickstand. After that I don't know much about these bikes

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

#5 ·
It changes the trail, head angle, and puts more weight on the front tire. Plus I think it evens out the balance too, since the back end it lighter and the front is heavier, and there more wieght higher in the front then in the back. I believe it kinda evens everything out a little more. If you look at modern sport bikes they have closer to a 50/50 wieght onfront and back and more wieght located lowered to which makes them very balanced. Our older bikes tend to be heavier in the front and longer which means less wieght in the back. The wieght is also located higher.

Thats why I believe lowering the front and even raising the back helps so much, it balances the bike more and as I said earlier it changes the trail and head angle. You gotta experiment though with what works with you. Every bike is different and every rider is different. I say start with the stock set up, get used to it, and change it.

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

#6 ·
It changes the trail, head angle, and puts more weight on the front tire. Plus I think it evens out the balance too, since the back end it lighter and the front is heavier, and there more wieght higher in the front then in the back. I believe it kinda evens everything out a little more. If you look at modern sport bikes they have closer to a 50/50 wieght onfront and back and more wieght located lowered to which makes them very balanced. Our older bikes tend to be heavier in the front and longer which means less wieght in the back. The wieght is also located higher.

Thats why I believe lowering the front and even raising the back helps so much, it balances the bike more and as I said earlier it changes the trail and head angle. You gotta experiment though with what works with you. Every bike is different and every rider is different. I say start with the stock set up, get used to it, and change it.

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.