Cafe Racer Forum banner

new here

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  valvesprung 
#1 ·
Hey, new guy to the forum, always loved cafe racers, but have yet to be able to own one, right now I ride an 07 zx6r, but looking at buying a 1975 kz400 from a local guy for $400, hopefully he'll still have it when I get my next pay check :) then I'll be able to start a build up on it. If not looks like I'll have to just keep looking, I really want to have one this winter.

#2 ·
Welcome, You get points just for filling out your profile so we won't have to guess where you are from.
I think the KZ400 is highly cafeable and greatly underappreciated and underutilized. There are a bunch of older Kawi bikes that have parts available dirt cheap on e-gay that could make cool additions to a KZ400. How about a double disk front end off a KZ650? Might bolt right up. A set of up pipes kinda like on the Honda CLs, Kawi never had anything ike that on the 4 strokes. A unitrack swing arm and shock off a GPZ550? A tank offa GPZ305? Lots of stuff that hasn't been done and you can paint it that Yuckie Kawi green, too.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

#5 ·
#6 ·
if you are lookig to buy a kz400, make sure the motor is good above all. 4 internal chains makes the 400 a huge pain in the arse to work on if you have to get into the cases.

as compared to your zx6 you will find the 400 woefully slow. It is a solid bike and could possible run forever with proper maintenance, but fast it is not.

Also, make sure you use the search function before asking handlebar questions...been covered to death

Edited by - geeto67 on Oct 17 2007 10:23:49 AM

#7 ·
Yup, the KZ400 won't be really fast, especially compared to a rocket like a ZX6R. But the KZ400 could be just the right tool for the job, most of the time.

Around here (So. Cal.), we have a few really twisty old backroads, like De Luz Road, Glendora Ridge Road, and some side roads off Mulholland. These roads are amazingly curvy, really just paved rabbit trails. They even have a few off-cambers and 180 degree hairpins to keep the Harleys away. I have ridden those roads on my YZF600R and on my TX500. The YZF600R is not a big or fast bike by modern standard, but it felt too big and heavy for some of these roads. The throttle felt like a trigger, and the brakes felt too grabby. Old Slag-heap (my TX500) felt just right. Nimble, light, flickable. Old Slag-heap is a better around-town bke too.

So get the KZ400 and ride it where it's best suited. Don't use a Sawsall where a Dremel would work better.

#8 ·
thanks for the welcome guys, and yea, I know I'll be lacking in power on the 400 vs. my zx6, but I'm not much of a speed demon really, just like hitting the twisties and really leaning the bike over, so the 400 should still be fun for me :)and for the ppl talking about the motor in it, what should I check for when going to look at it? this is all that I know about the engine of it, and its coming from the guy selling it. "9,8736 miles. Has good compression but does not run (I believe it needs carburator work)."

#9 ·
bring a compression tester if you have one and check each cylinder.

If the battery doesn't work bring a battery and a can of starting fluid and see if it will start off the ether.

It is always better to spend the money and buy a running bike than take on someone else's project... <--- now you can't say I didn't warn you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.