Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been snooping around the forum for a while and thought i'd get into it and introduce myself. I'm just outside Chicago, don't know anyone into Cafe's around me most of my buddy's are riding sport/nakeds. I'm finishing up my 78 CB750 and should be road ready for the spring provided i can find a new tank (the 78's look rediculous). Anyone out my way got a line on a 72-76 tank in decent shape?

Cheers,

~ Jay

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Welcome Jay

I just found this site myself. About your tank question

There is a guy in MidOhio that makes custom cafe racing tanks. The tanks are really nice and I'd kill right now to have one. Check in this form under parts for sale. I think the cost is around 800.00.

2nd Option is to use ebay or craigslist to find an earlier tank. I think you can find one that will be in good shape for ok money.

3rd Option - modify your current tank. I've seen some that have been modified that look really nice. I saw one entry under the general section of this form where a guy had a 78 honda with a modified tank that looked real good.

In summary - an ebay tank in good condition might run you 100 to 300 dollar range. It depends how many are available and who needs what. For me - that custom racing tank for 800 out of Ohio is looking really good...

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob & Godffrey,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm gonna have to get in touch with the guys from Chi'Vin. Looks like a cool group to ride with. Seems all my buddies are givin up on long rides and just doing track days. Bob, thanks for the heads up on the tanks, i seem to loose every ebay bid i put in. got beat out on a nice 76 tank by a last minute bid with 1 sec. left. I'll keep looking though. Godfrey, great tank work man! maybe i'll send mine your way and see what you can do with it! I'm getting my frame, swing arm, battery box and other misc. parts back from powder coat on friday so $$$ might be a little tight for a while but i'll PM you in a few.
Cheers,
~ Jay

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Also check out this website. The Ton Up club in Chicago usually has a few really popular cafe bike events in Chicago proper.

http://www.tonupchicago.com/

Tank: Also if you would like to support fellow members of this website, Matt Tanner (Monkey/ Tannermanic), is one fine carbon fiber or glass fabricator. I don't know if he can help you, but his work is worthy of checking to see if he can.

Pete, formerly from Milwaukee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts