Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New member who picked up a running basket case 1985 K100 and looking to do a Retrorides style build. I love bikes where the the engine is part of the frame and shaft drive for some strange reason. I also have a 1980 CX500 that I did a slight cafe racer build on, still working on it.

Hopefully I can get some good tips here, as I don't think I am welcome on the purist flying brick boards.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Interesting, why? do they tend to break and fall over?
She's way more likely to smoke and leave a contrail on takeoff. Not real good for the pistons and rings when it happens, won't happen if you use the centre stand.

Keep lots of fuel in the tank if you are going to be sitting in traffic on a hot day, the fuel pumps run hot and the fuel is the only cooling. Unless you want to see gasoline boiling inside your tank, which is very scary.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Original centre stand is great if you use the handle on the side to lift up on the bike and stand on the centre stand horn thing will all your might. ... well all my might anyway because I only weigh about 140

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Keep the original exhaust and the cops will barely notice you going way too fast. They go fast by the way, almost too fast for the Brembo 2 pots, 236k sitting upright on the K100RS before your rev limiter kicks in :D very exciting. Makes it look like the cars are backing up real fast.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
... I love bikes where the the engine is part of the frame and shaft drive for some strange reason. ...
A K bike feels like a small 4 cylinder airplane engine with footpegs and a rear wheel, a place to sit and a front wheel attached to the engine to make it easier to go around corners. You really feel like you are riding the engine and the rear wheel (lol if you wheelie then that's what you are actually doing). If you're on serious bumpy road surface during hard engine braking the rear wheel can hop (jackshaft) a little but it's easy to calm that down by clutching and haul on the front brake more.

They are really good in surviving a rear end collision too, it's one of the first bikes that had rear crash testing done during design, mine was rear ended when it was 5 months old by a big ass truck with monster mudder tires on it, I lived, it works (y) if you chop and change the rear end you can kiss that feature goodbye.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Tis only a 750cc triple
the 3/4 power option, faster in the corners and slower on the straight.

... the side stand on the right hand side will avoid oil cloud issues (y)
:unsure: and the fella that modified that rear suspension has great faith in those 4 drive shaft bolts, the shock was designed to fix to the hub assembly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts