Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'll introduce myself first: I'm a student from the Netherlands. I've previously build a CX 500 caferacer, a cx 500 chopper and I am currently building a XV 920 chopper and a BMW R80 caferacer. Both choppers are project that I do togheter with a friend of mine. Both caferacers are 100% mine. I became a member of this forum because I couldn't find a decent Dutch (or even european) caferacer forum and I am looking for things to improve on my bike.

As I said, my current project is a '88 BMW R80. This is how I bought it:

not a bike I would describe as being beautifull....

This is where it is now:

Since the pictures were taken I made a few changes. I polished the horizontal cooling fins on the valve covers and I wrapped the exhaust with light-brown exhaust tape.

I've got a brown leather sadle on the way and I've still got to change the paintjob of the tank.

I'm also looking for ideas, mainly for what to do with the battery (removing it and doing push starts is not an option), what to do with the airbox (I do have some ideas about that) and how to give it a bit of a racyer look all around. So if you've got any ideas.......

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nice beemer, MIOB. Looks like you've removed a lot of weight from it.

I am also looking to change the airbox on my beemer (R90/6), and a better place to put the battery. Let us know if you get any ideas for that.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
very neat. where's the pics of the other bikes?

will the bmw run without a battery? is it magnetor or alternator?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'll see if I can dig up pix of the permanent magnet alternator setup I did for an earlier boxer

easy enough to do or you can buy a kit to rid yourself of the excited rotor alternator

however, the stock one can, with the correct relay and capacitor

be made to work without a battery

it is seldom done and many of the BMW "experts" will adamantly tell you it is not possible

put a tranny in it with a kicker on it

4 speeds are quite common

the early 5 speeds with kicker are not and do fetch good money

then you could save a lot of weight by eliminating the starter and battery

may as well shave a few pounds off the outer diameter of the flywheel while you are at it

I literally have tons of BMW parts

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Welcome MIOB, Sweet BMW! I'd keep the battery, just put some number plates on the sides, they'll hide the battery and make it look a little "racier".

FR

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Cool R80 MIOB, keep it going. K&N filters, aluminum side covers to mimic the old /5 chrome ones ('cause I had one of those one time), progressive fork springs and most important is the frame mod sussed out by San Jose BMW.
[/img]
[/img]

cheers and welcome to the board, bcr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for the warm welcome :)

@ BCR. Modding the frame is illegal over here, so I'm not going to do that. The progressive forksprings are allready installed and teh rear spring is also new :)

@ FR. Nice Idea, the numberplates. Not too sure it will look good though, I think my legs will might cover them. I'll give it a try though.

@ HackAsaw: I wnat to keep the battery. the bike is converted to 1000cc and a kickstart wouldn't be all that practical. Besides, I'm only a student and I'm almost out of money.

@ Steve Barker: I do have a few Ideas. I could use velocitystacks, which would be the best looking and sounding option. I'm not too sure what the increase in engine wear wil be, I'm trying to figure that out right now. Another option is K&N filters directly on the carbs. Option 3 is a foam filter on a stainless steel plate that replaces the top half of your airbox. Not too sure you can get those in the states aswell, but they look like this:

I think I'll be going with option 3, but than way different. I'll try to make the same ground plate, weld on a short bit of a 4 inch bend tube (about a inch high, bend so it faces a little backwarts) and put one of those large K&N filters on it.

I'm not going to post pics of the choppers, I don't think they belong here. The CX caferacer is a very low budget project. I bought for 100,- (euro's, that'll be about 160$) in parts and paid for new parts by selling the parts I didn't use. So it's a lot less radical than the BMW. (still looks nice though. Really nice bike to ride aswell)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
@ HackAsaw: I wnat to keep the battery. the bike is converted to 1000cc and a kickstart wouldn't be all that practical. Besides, I'm only a student and I'm almost out of money.

if you only knew how comical that statement is

a well tuned 1000cc boxer can be started by a firm hand on the starter lever

you can get a 4 speed kick start transmission for what your 5 speed will bring and have enough change to snag a couple deals on different ratio'd final drives

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I was looking at this header and comparing it to the Luftmeister on my hotrod R60/6

interesting and you may be interested to see the kick start 4 speed it has in it now

hate I let a couple of those early kick start 5 speeds go

I also have several final drives for it

including one good for 135 easy

and then some which make it suitable for lugging a sidecar

really, it kicks right over easy enough for a kid to start it

anyhow, I dig your ride thus far

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, the choppers... The CX chopper:

and the XV920 as it is now:

We've got a long way to go on the XV....

@ HackAsaw: I'll look into it. Not too sure if those gearboxes are easy to get here. If it really works that good it would be a very nice way to lose that enormous battery.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
they are still dirt cheap in Germany but I've not shopped for one in NE

odd the BMW stuff there that is cheap or expensive

and then compare it to going rates here

some of it makes no sense at all

I'm going to get shed of the excited field alternator on my R90 in favor of a permanent magnet type

not that it's so bad, just overly complicated and too many weak links

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dirt cheap in Germany? I've always gotten most parts for my bikes in Germany because parts are so cheap over there (especially on ebay.de), but not for the beemer. BMW's are extremely popualr in Germany and the parts are (in my opnion) suprisingly expensive.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
some things are and some things are not

the main focus of my market study/sales there is pretty much limited to prewar-1969

most any of the newer stuff can be had here by the dump truck load

my guess is the USA has pretty much always been BMW's largest market

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Regarding the posted frame mod, why not fabricate completely clamp on pieces? Looks to me like you have good skills and it shouldn't be outside your abilities. Might not be *quite* as solid as welded but I imagine it'd still be an improvement.

Nice rides!

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
those frames are made of relatively thin walled tubing

clamp on braces, mounts, etc suck on most anything riding on two wheels

may as well use cheese

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well there you go....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's actually a reallyu good idea. Worth looking at, thanx!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
the frame mod is a straight shot. Weld in the bosses, bolt on the brace. worth a look if you're into fast sweepers and would prefer to pass on the requisite bmw wallow.

nice pipes on the xv, I'll pass on the pin wheels though. cool projects, keep'm rolling
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update

I decided not to go for the frame mod after consulting some experts. They say it just adds weight and no (or hardly any) structrural strenght. I removed the airbox, placed velocity stacks and bought a smaller battery. There still is a little bit of work to do, but I'm getting there :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts