Cafe Racer Forum banner

New Member from LA

9K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  VIC-14 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Vic and I am brand new to the hobby as well as this forum. Right now I'm saving up to buy my first bike and do my first build. I don't have a lot of money but after reading a few threads before registering I get the feeling I don't need to throw cash at my project in order for it to turn into a good bike (which is a relief). I've done a bit of research into what a cafe racer bike is and how it came about but I want to learn more, especially from guys who have decades of experience.

That said which bikes would be good for a beginner that after riding for a few months I can turn into a good cafe racer? What magazines, websites, blogs, or other forums do you guys know of that could help me learn more about motorcycle mechanics and this hobby? All suggestions/comments/thoughts are welcome. I might be a newbie but I want to learn how to do things the right way.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
How did this place give you the impression you don't need to spend much money?
I don't think I made myself clear. I know I will need to spend money on this build just not all at once. After reading a few threads the route I plan to take for this bike is: buy a solid running bike that still needs help in some areas, ride it, then after I get a good feel for the machine fix a part of the bike, then keep riding it, making small changes here and there as I go. Instead of buying a bunch of fancy parts and slapping on the bike without ever having taken it out. I'll still be spending a good sum, don't get me wrong, but on quality parts I'll know the bike needs.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Hey Vic,
You a really big guy or a really small guy ?:I

The best way to learn all about motorcycles is to get involved in the amateur motorcycle competition of your choice,
that will introduce you to all of the best riders & tuners in the country as well as the dealers and distributors of the goods.

… that's where all those guys go on any Sunday you know, they go racing ;) they don't waste their time hanging around blogs and magazines.
I'm kinda small, only 5'6, and not very heavy.

Thanks for the advice about the MC competitions. I'll start looking some up.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Refreshingly good plan.
more evolution then build.

what type of riding do you see yourself doing?
what have you seen that you liked?
I plan on using the bike mostly for transportation, at least in the beginning. But I'd definitely like to take it for longer rides out of the city and see what it can do and then go from there. I don't know if I'll be more into speed or handling because I've never driven a motorcycle before so that's something I want to find out with this bike once I get it.

I've looked up pictures of what I think look like good cafe racers but I have no idea of knowing if it's a quality build or just a bike that looks good but doesn't function well.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
View attachment 12135

In my opinion currently one of the best modern street bikes to learn on for a beginner.

View attachment 12136

Then you could do whatever or upgrade.
What type of bike is the first pic? How much would something like that cost used? Can it be somewhat easily modified to look like the second pic by someone with low to moderate knowledge of motorcycles?

Discussion starter · #21 ·
If you are new to bikes in general then I would purchase a small bike, not heavy and one where you sit upright.

It is a bad choice to learn to ride on cafe bikes, sportbikes, big bikes and heavy crusiers.

I mean you can but it is not ideal.

Why is it bad to learn on a cafe, sportbike, etc., if you don't mind me asking? What small bikes would you suggest make and model wise?

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Never been on a bike?
Buy a used Triumph then.
Just by "A" bike and go riding.
You might be shocked where it all takes you.

Wouldn't a Triumph be too expensive because it is a sought after bike used or otherwise? I don't know which is why I'm asking. What would be the benefits of buying a Triumph instead of something like a Honda?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Wow you guys have given me a lot to think about. I've already started looking up Honda Rebel, some Kawasaki DRs, and Ninjas. I think that will keep me busy for a bit but I will definitely have more questions as I research more about these machines.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
and that is one of the bad things about the rebel.......freeway speeds. You can go on the freeway, just pace yourself. But I am still in the rebel camp only for your safety.
I see that you're leaning more towards the rebel and you make some good points about it but is there any way to lower the height for the DRs or DRZs? I've noticed that one of the main points used against the dual sports are that they sit too high for someone of my height.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Buy this: 2014 Suzuki DRZ400SM Enduro

Don't buy the first bike you see and sniff around for a while.

Cheap bikes only cost more money in the long term.

Danger, is my business."

I'm still saving up and am in no position to buy a bike in the next few weeks so I plan on looking for a while. I just want to get a price range for these bikes that is somewhat fair and fits the type of quality I will be paying for. So say for a used Rebel in pretty good condition would an asking price of 1,500 be too high? Same for the DRs and DRZs?

Discussion starter · #45 ·
You'd really like learning on my bike: 26 inches tall in the saddle unladen, and 160 pounds wet. First gear tops out slower than you can run and the brake and clutch are easy to operate with one finger. Difficult to hurt if you drop it too. Kind of the ultimate starter bike.
… but strictly daylight off-road, unless you are in a closed course competition that happens to take you on public roads or walkways :|

What type of bike do you have? Did you buy it this way or did you have to make modifications? If you did do mods how costly were they and could a beginner also make the same changes to a similar bike?

Discussion starter · #53 ·
He's not pissing you around. -> Trials bikes are the fastest bike to learn on, I wish I had discovered them earlier on.
I have a go fast bike, a go far bike and 2 go anywhere bikes. The go anywhere bikes are by far the most fun.

… :/ but nothing is cheap when it comes to bikes, so crank up your money production first.

What makes trail bikes so much better to learn on? I'm not looking for a "cheap" bike I just don't want to pay something like $1,500 for a bike that's only really worth $1,100 you know.

Discussion starter · #54 ·
You can lower either bike but not to the point of ideal for you. But maybe an off road bike might be a good choice also (strictly off road).

I know a lot of folks don't care for the rebel as a good choice for learning and I know it has its limitations.........and I know they are other choices out there that are good choices as well however......I am still going to toot the horn for the rebel because it is best suited to your height and riding experience (none). If you were my son I would feel better with the rebel.....not a DRZ400 with a 35 inch seat height, not a 450 lb 750, not a GSXR600, etc.

Another aspect to learning is intimidation. Nothing is more unsafe and intimidating than a bike you don't feel comfortable with.

Good luck and happy riding
Wow, that is some good advice. I've already begun shifting my focus from strictly cafe racer to just a good beginner's bike. I still have much to think about but your input is greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.