Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I've periodically lurked these forums in the past and thought i'd go ahead and make myself official.

My name is jesse and i'm in upstate ny. I put a good amount of detail in my profile, but i'll try not to repeat it too much here.

I've only been riding for a few years but i have been very eager and passionate since the start.

My current project is a 1972 Honda CB500 Four that I purchased a few weeks ago. I think i got a pretty good deal at $1600. The bike runs very well, but like any 40-some-year-old bike it isn't without issues. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 5.JPG photo 6.JPG photo 7.JPG photo 8.JPG

Currently, this is my fix list:
- Oil filter leaks
- crack in side panel
- front and rear tire need replaced
- lube cables
- lube chain
- battery holster
- sticky horn button
- carb leak
- replace seat foam & cover
- two dents in tank
- two dents in muffler
- bulbs in guages

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
post more pics of the pinstriping. Is it original 70's work? or something done later (did you do it?).
I'm not sure when the pinstriping was added, nor did the seller. I'll take a few closeups of the detail tonight and post.

Ultimately i plan to give it a fresh coat of paint (as there is significant fade on the top of the tank [which i'm guessing is from gas wear?]), but as of right now i've got bigger fish to fry on this bike like get it running proper and safe. :)

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Think the pin striping is standard? Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, Japanese motorcycles from the 60s & 70s - Oxford Classic Honda Check under cb500/4 for sale for £0
Not the stock pinstriping, there is a design on the top of the tank that he hasn't shown yet.

Ultimately i plan to give it a fresh coat of paint (as there is significant fade on the top of the tank [which i'm guessing is from gas wear?])
No appreciation for old things with character. No the fade is not from fuel spillage (though some of it might have been exacerbated by it). Honda factory paint jobs from that era are candy paint. What is a candy paint you ask? in this case the color pigment is carried in the clear coat, and is applied over a metallic base which shows through the colored clear. It fades because UV light will shine through the tinted clear coat, reflect off the metallic base coat, and then attack the color from the backside, so it gets sun exposure twice which causes it to fade faster than a standard base coat clear coat where the base is the color coat. If it is slight fading, then someone took really good care of the bike as usually the color fades out almost entirely and the top looks silver. Spraying candy is a special skill, you can't just get joe the local panel beater to shoot candy gold over silver flake in between fixing a minivan bumper and a bmw fender.

When clean and shiny, candy paint has a luminosity unmatched by regular base coat-clear coat. It literally glows in the sun because again the light reflects off the base and lights it up from underneath. Seeing as how the bike is 40 years old, the stock paint has probably oxidized and no longer glows due to junk and therefore looks no more special than a base coat-clear coat. If you care about getting the luster back here is what I would do: go get mother's 3 part system (Polish, Glaze, pure carnuba wax) and do the whole bike. The Polish addresses the oxidation, the glaze smooths it out, and the wax protects it. I would do the first phase twice, then glaze, then wax. then another coat of wax. Then take it out in the sun. It will never shine like new paint, but it will probably be loads better than what you have now.

But let's talk about character for a second. Given the overal good condition of the bodywork, the minor scratches, dents, and previous owner added embelishments are an indication that the bike has "lived a life". If you were doing a 100pt restoration on a rare model of motorcycle then I would say, have at it, spray it 100 percent perfect and shuttle the bike from trailer to bike show and back. But you are going to use this bike. It is not going to be perfect, so why not instead of wiping it's slate clean, add to the character with your own experiences. Let the bike really tell a story. When you are talking about vehicles that are no more rare than your mother's toaster, the wear marks and the user added "damage" and the tell tale signs of entropy and time are the things that make the bike unique. Remember, when it comes to bikes that old - you aren't an owner so much as a caretaker for the next person.

Can you pinstripe? bet you can't. It isn't easy. Betcha the striping on your bike is the older lead based one shot and if not destroyed it will probably outlast the stock exhaust. Plus if you knew how hard it was to do you would probably be less inclined to destroy it. But not everybody "gets" hot rod art.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yah dude...your bike but please don't repaint that thing. Only hurting the value and you will lose some cool artwork.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If you must repaint at least take the tank and side covers off and sell them. You will have enough to buy a tank wi worse paint and paint that. That tank and side cover set is way too nice to destroy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Cap, tach gear cb500 1972

Currently looking for a replacement part for where the tach cable connects to the block.

tach1.jpg

tach2.jpg

from the photos it looks like the original part broke off and some of it still remains in there.

captach-gear_medium12451323000-01_29fd.jpg

this looks to be the culprit:

Part Number# 12451-323-000 CAP, TACHOMETER

·
Registered
541 Posts
Dont just look for the part from a CB500. The CB500, CB550 and the CB450 & 500 twins all shared a lot of parts. Hell my early CB550 exhausts have CB500 stamped in them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dont just look for the part from a CB500. The CB500, CB550 and the CB450 & 500 twins all shared a lot of parts. Hell my early CB550 exhausts have CB500 stamped in them.
yea thats what i'm seeing when i search the part number which is great news. with any luck i'll be able to find one local.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey Jessie, I was looking at that bike in my area. It was listed on CL in Syracuse or Potsdam right? Im in Watertown...you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Jessie, I was looking at that bike in my area. It was listed on CL in Syracuse or Potsdam right? Im in Watertown...you?
It was posted in the Utica Craigslist, although it was closer to Syracuse. Just outside of Sylvan Beach. The guy selling it was a cool dude and had some other great treasures in his garage.

I'm closer to the PA border in the Elmira/Corning/Binghamton area but I went to school in cuse and lived there for a few years.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Looking at your close up pictures of the tank I can see why you would want to repaint it. All those nicks and the surface oxidation it isn't as nice as it could be. Try the mothers system I recommend. I have saved many an old paint job with just a few chemicals and Elbow grease. Don't use a machine buffer, do it all by hand. That left side dent could probably be taken out by a paintless dent professional. A good wax coat does wonders to hide small nicks and scratches.

This is my cb750, it was much worse than what you have when I started:

i do the mothers system twice a year and it just pops in the sun (and planet blue isn't even a candy color).
Here is a candy red I did with the same system:

There were guys who thought this original paint was unsaveable. It didn't have fading but it had rust pimples showing through.

here is a brown set I did the same way, this did have a little fading on the top but to see it now you can't tell:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Geeto thats a slick 750. When i'm ready to address the cosmetic on my bike i will certainly take your advice and see what i can do with the mothers system.

What you can't see in the photos is that one of the side panels has been repainted a copper (non candy) color and does not match the tank or other side panel. It's passable from a distance but up close in person you can tell. Not to mention it also has a 4" crack running through it that seems like it could get worse if left as is.

in other news, I may have a lead on a tach cap, if the fellow is willing to part out the block he has. as it stands he'd rather have someone buy the whole thing. now to decide if i want to drive 2.5 hours for it, or if the guy will take paypal and mail just the part...

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I once owned a cb500 that was the same year and color that was purchased new - it was a great bike. Your bike would be a great bike to restore back to original. Doing that will almost triple your purchase price. If I recall correctly - I paid 1400 dollars for mine off the show room floor.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Welcome, and sweet bike! I don't like it, but I do agree with Geeto on one thing. I like that tank the way it is, but I'm not looking at it in person like you are. I think I'm going to buy one off ebay for my 350 to goof around with paint jobs.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I once owned a cb500 that was the same year and color that was purchased new - it was a great bike. Your bike would be a great bike to restore back to original. Doing that will almost triple your purchase price.
you left out the part where it will cost quadrouple his purchase price to do it correctly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts