Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some photos of my 1965 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk. I have owned this bike for 50 years now. It has been in this basic configuration since 1972 when I fabricated the disk brakes, Fairing, tank and seat from scratch. These pictures were taken at Hallett Raceway in Oklahoma in the last couple of years. I restored the bike about 12 years ago and have been doing one or two track days a year with it, up until last year when I retired it. I should also mention that I'm 71 years old. By the way, the guy passing me in the first photo, dropped it right after this picture was taken.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Very nice.

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Would love to hear more about the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1965 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk Vintage Racer
Purchased new by owner
65,000 street miles
All modifications fabrication and paint performed by owner

My Vintage Racer is a 1965 Honda CB77 305 Superhawk, purchased new just after I got out of the Army. I started racing it in 1966, with some really ugly, homemade bodywork and 250cc sleeves and pistons in the engine, but it was hopelessly outclassed. So, after struggling unsuccessfully with it for a couple of seasons, I retired the Honda, put it back on the street and bought a Yamaha TD1-C, which I raced until 1972.

For the 1972 season, the AMA changed their rules to allow 350cc 4-strokes to compete with 250cc 2-strokes, so the Yamaha was sold and the 305 was converted back into a racer. Even though The Yamaha was fast and competitive, it didn’t handle or stop particularly well and was a lot harder to tune and keep running. The rule change gave me the motivation and my occupation, in the Aerospace industry, had given me a good set of skills in the disciplines I needed to build the bike I that really wanted.

I have performed all of the fabrication, modifications, assembly and paint work myself, with the exception of the cylinder boring and the porting of the cylinder head. It was raced off and on until 1983 and though while initially competitive, it got slower and slower relative to the competition and the water cooled two-strokes had become so much faster that I had to ride way over my head, to even try to keep up with them. After a crash in 1983, it was parked outside on a trailer in the backyard and I moved on to endurance racing. I finally got tired of mowing around it in about 1995 and decided that I would restore it. I didn’t realize it would take me nearly 9 years to complete the project, but the result has been more than worth the time and effort. With a few exceptions the bike is as it was put together in 1972, including the paint scheme, which copies the Honda works racers of the ‘60’s.

Here’s a list of the modifications I have made to it over the years.

35mm Cerani Roadrace Forks with Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators and new Springs
Dunstall 35mm Clip-On Handlebars
Johar Superbike Grips
Modified Tomaselli Quick Throttle
Modified Honda 750 Brake Master Cylinder with Magura Dog-leg Lever
Goodridge Front Brake Lines with Aircraft Fittings
ASV Clutch Perch and Folding Lever
Modified CBR900RR Clutch Cable
Honda Race Kit WM2 Race Kit Aluminum Front Rim
Avon AM20 90/90H18 Front Tire
Brake Calipers and Brackets Machined from Billet on Bridgeport Mill and Engine Lathe
Dual 12 in. Disk Brakes with .110 Thick Steel Disks and Aluminum Carriers
Front Brake Hub Machined From Billet on Engine Lathe
Akront WM3 Aluminum Rear Rim
Avon AM22 110/80VB18 Rear Tire
OEM Rear Brake Modified with Cooling Scoop and Ventilation Holes In Backing Plate and Hub
4130 Steel Tubular Brake Stay
All Un-needed Brackets Removed From Frame
Tapered Roller Steering Head Bearings
Frame Re-enforced in Engine Mount/Swing Arm Box Area and Modified for Cantilevered Rear Shock Mount Position
Betor Rear Shocks with Uprated Springs
Bronze Swing Arm Bushings
Modified Race Kit Aluminum Rear Fender
Rearset Footpegs Fabricated from Stock, Passenger and CBR900RR Pegs
Rear Brake Cable Fabricated from Barnett Triumph Clutch Cable
CB400F pattern Shift Pedal
Dogleg Shift Rod to accommodate Reverse Pattern Shifting
New Pins and Brass Bushings in All Shift Pivot Points
Honda Race Kit Hydraulic Steering Damper
4130 Steel Fairing Brackets and Tachometer Mount
Rubber Mounted Camlock Fairing Attachment Hardware with Captive Fasteners
14,000 RPM HRC Tachometer
Harmon/Collins Roller Cam with S&W Valve Springs
Lightened OEM Valves
Cylinder Head Ported and Matched to Custom Aluminum Intake Manifolds
Keihin 32mm CV Carburetors Modified To Accept Standard Round Kehin Main Jets with Fiberglass Bell Mouths
Modified CB450 Throttle Cable
(To Be Added) 32mm Mikuni VM Carburetors with Aluminum Bell Mouths and Intake Screens
(To Be Added) Custom made Throttle and Choke Cables
Aluminum Heat Shield for Carburetors
65mm L.A. Sleeve Cylinder Sleeves
Modified 65mm Honda CB350 Pistons, Rings and Wristpins
Honda CL77 Crankshaft
Close Ratio 5-Speed Transmission
Barnett Clutch
Honda CBX #2 & #5 Headpipes
OEM Headpipes
Hand-Built CR77 Pattern Flat-Side Megaphones
Oil Cooler with 4130 Steel Mounting Brackets, Braided Lines and Aircraft Fittings
Color Coded Fused Wire Harness with OEM Style Connectors
Ignition Indicator LED on Upper Fork Crown
Ignition On-Off Switch on Left Handlebar
Dyna S Electronic Ignition Mounted on Right End of Crankshaft
Dyna 40,000 Volt Ignition Coils
Yuasa Sealed Battery
Fiber Glass Fairing Lofted and Fabricated From Scratch
Fiber Glass Catch Pan for Engine Fabricated from Scratch
Fiber Glass Fuel Tank Fabricated from Scratch with Internal Baffles, Gasoline Proof Lining, Vent Line and CB350 Gas Cap
Pingle Fuel Tap and In-Line Fuel Filter
Rubber Mounted Fiber Glass Seat Fabricated from Scratch

Here are a couple of shots with the fairing off. The first one was taken about nine years ago, when I was experimenting with the brakes. I made my own wave rotors. The second naked shot was at a car show about two years ago. I've also included my current sportbike rides, a 2012 KTM RC8, a 2002 Honda RC51 and a 2011 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol Edition. Not a bad stable for an old guy.

Here is also a link to some You Tube videos of the old bike in action.

https://www.youtube.com/user/joeprouse/feed?activity_view=3

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, At present I am an Engineer with Airbus Americas Engineering in Wichita, Kansas. I started out as a Sheetmetal Assembler, worked my way into Tooling where I worked as a Pattern Maker, Jig Builder and Machinist/Tool & Diemaker. From there I moved on into Tool Design and NC Programming. I have been working as an Engineer since 1983. My previous occupations gave me the skills to build this bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts