Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been reading the board, checking out the builds. Awesome stuff here, like the vibe. I am planning a custom build of my own, based upon a 72 Kawasaki H2750 motor, but with some judicious chassis upgrades.

I would appreciate input on the main elements, which for the moment I am planning like so:

'72 H2750 motor, reed valve upgrade, ported
Fast by Gast chambers
Dunstall rearsets
KH500 frame and tank
FZR400 swingarm
upgraded front end?
Excel rims, stainless spokes, stock hubs
Dyna ignition

Would appreciate input on these choices, and specifically thoughts about the choice of possible front end components. I would really like to preserve the spoked wheels, but with lighter rims. Dual disks would be nice, but not a must.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

N.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Welcome NobleHops, nice handle. Hops = Good.
Sounds like a good project. Get busy, and post pics as you go.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Do you own any of these parts already? if not I hope you know your wallet is in for a world of hurt. seriously I can easily see you spending $10k based on the parts you know you need right now.

This is basically the same formula that cody on the kaw triples board used for his bike years ago. It isn't bad, but the questions you are asking show you really haven't done your homework.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
Welcome Nils. Looking forward to seeing this build.
-Tex

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I for one ...even though I'm not a two-stroke guy, just love it when I see (hear) a two stroke multi cafe bike cruise by. Just cool to seem them back on the street again, not a common sight around here.

JohnnyB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, Unga, I'm not going ice racing with you this weekend, are you sulking? @Tex, Scuba, FR, Johnny, Thanks! Geeto, really hoping for your input.

N.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you really want help you can start by telling us more about yourself, especially your skill level and expirence working on bikes.

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
You should donate the left over parts to me so I can build a road racer. Use it as a tax write-off.

We'll be heading up north next weekend as well. Pencil that into your calendar.

·
Registered
372 Posts
With those old "H" models I'd be concerned with chassis rigidty. I haven't lived with one so I don't how much of those old horror stories are for real or just overblown. I've read that they had a pretty heavy rear weight bias also. I'd be afraid of newer swing arms and forks feeding a lot more stress into an already spindly frame. I'd look into any folks who vintage race them, to see what the real deal is. Maybe some elegant and creative frame gusseting here and there?? To hell with looking good, first and foremost, a "Cafe" bike should be reasonably well behaved. At least in this crusty bastard's opinion.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I know the guy who built that bike from the law triples board. C&J made the frame before they closed. Guy spent close to $20k building that bike and eventually sold it at a break even price, but everything was new and it made over 100hp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts