Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bouncing around this forum for the last couple weeks and finally decided it was time to join. I'm a 22 year old college student by day, bartender by night living in Rhode Island. I've always like the idea of owning a motorcycle, but was overcome with countless other projects and never had the time. I have a fascination with old watercooled VWs, and although I've only been driving for six years, I've owned 9 VWs ranging from 1983 - 1990 along with a couple other toys. Everything I've learned I've taught myself with lots of help from a similar VW forum. Today I feel confident working on almost anything mechanical and I truly enjoy working on a project from start to finish with little outside help.

Last summer I decided I wanted a bike, but soon enough the New England winter was upon us and my search ended. As school ended and the weather warmed up, my search for a bike began. At first I thought about purchasing a new sport bike, but I wasn't thrilled with the idea. I have known of the style of a cafe racer for some time, but it wasn't until i saw one in person that I made up my mind. I did some research and decided a Honda CB 175-360 was what I wanted. I searched the forums, classifieds, ebay, and craigslist until I found a suitable bike about an hour and half away. I hoped into my truck and drove up to a good condition 1970 CB350 with 4,700 miles. It wasn't running but everything was there and in good condition. $400 later and she was back to my garage in RI. I have started a page in the Project Build section where I will document my progress. I am very open to all suggestions and hopefully this bike will live up to the high standards of many of the beautiful bikes from this site.

Here are a couple pictures of my past projects:

1987 VW GTI 2.0 16v

1990 VW Corrado G60

1985.5 Porsche 944

1988 VW Scirocco 16v and you can see my current daily: 2007 VW GTI

And Finally a Picture of the CB350 (sorry i got carried away before I got my camera)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Where's Kingstown? My mother was born & raised in Woonsocket, and I spent 6 of the most miserable months of my life living in her childhood house. Also lived in N. Smithfield, Cumberland, and Barrington.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Where's Kingstown? My mother was born & raised in Woonsocket, and I spent 6 of the most miserable months of my life living in her childhood house. Also lived in N. Smithfield, Cumberland, and Barrington.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
North Kingstown is in the southern half of the state on the water right above Narragansett. All the places you listed are in the northern half of the state closer to mass. Granted i use northern and southern loosely as one can drive from the bottom of RI to the top in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
North Kingstown is in the southern half of the state on the water right above Narragansett. All the places you listed are in the northern half of the state closer to mass. Granted i use northern and southern loosely as one can drive from the bottom of RI to the top in about 45 minutes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, Im also a newb. I've been checking this site for a little bit now but spend most of my time on the vortex. Here's my daily

My new/other daily is a 75 yamaha xs650. Nice looking rides youv'e owned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, Im also a newb. I've been checking this site for a little bit now but spend most of my time on the vortex. Here's my daily

My new/other daily is a 75 yamaha xs650. Nice looking rides youv'e owned.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have always liked those corrados. Like a modern Scirocco. Used to be a guy in my neighborhood that had a VR6 one, fast as all get out.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I have always liked those corrados. Like a modern Scirocco. Used to be a guy in my neighborhood that had a VR6 one, fast as all get out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im also new here. I was never really into bikes. My brother is getting into them and lately I have been throwing the idea around of getting one. Def do not want a crotch rocket. After poking around on the net, I came across this site. I always knew what naked bikes and cafe racers were, just never really looked into them. These things are way cool. Im mostly into Japanese cars, I see you dudes are into German cars. I like the Corrado above. I have a Nissan 240SX.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
german cars - that is mostly the newbie (although I seem to remember somebody's shop pic with a porsche in the background). car tastes runs the gamut round here but this isn't really a car site. it's about bikes. mean, nasty bikes. this kind of bikes that eat newbies.....

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

german cars - that is mostly the newbie (although I seem to remember somebody's shop pic with a porsche in the background).
geet: that'd be my old man's current 911 project.

check it: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/pmpre/pm.cgi?login=Copbait73&action=display&

and my little brother's: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/pmpre/pm.cgi?login=richemj&action=display&

...yeah, i was raised with a heated bias to german engineering excellence!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
My brother bought a GTI last year (one of the new 2.0 turbos). I have to say I am starting to come around to the german engineering side of things. In mixed driving he gets like 32mpg (as per the GTI's onboard computer). He has seen as high as 36mpg in full highway driving. He is not a lead foot though and often wonders why his car says 12 avg mpg when I give it back to him.

If I have any complaints about the car it is:

1) it needs that quaffe diff. When that turbo hits it's 23 lbs of boost the torque steer is...ahem...noticable. On NY roads it is brown moment noticable.

2) it needs a sunroof. The interior is cavernous for a hatch, but still feels like something is missing.

3) it could be lighter (seriously the thing is 150lbs away from my 1967 GTO's curb weight).

As much as I love american cars (and it has been hard to love american cars lately), my next car might be a Jetta GLI (the GTI in a sedan) or an EOS (the same turbo motor but with a folding hardtop for less than $30K....awsome!!!).

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
if you dudes want to post a picture of your car fine....but there better be a MOTORCYCLE in the picture.

there outta be a rule......

tex

1 - 14 of 14 Posts