Cafe Racer Forum banner

919 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  8ball 
#1 ·
Looking to purchase a new beginner's motorcycle, visited various bike shops in San Francisco, now having trust issues with businesses and the manner in which they price. Given the way vehicles have gone up, bikes have gone up alongside them. After looking at scooters, and then Ducati, BMW, Honda, and Enfield I'd like to go with a low-end motorcycle that is reasonably priced. I've been looking at the CSC 400 San Gabriel and the 250 Cafe Racer and do not know which of the two would be a good fit. I'm 5'7, 165lbs. I'm encountering a lot of Chinese product bashing in my research which seems to be counter to many of the reviews I've read on Chinese motorcycle advancements, including from reviewing feedback in this venue, they border on racist perspectives.

I'm not looking for an investment, but a starter bike. Name brands are not important to me, nor an overpriced used bike. I appreciate the price points on the new CSC's without all the dishonest talking down at name-brand dealerships, individuals there make it difficult to make informed decisions. I'm stuck between a 250 Cafe Racer or 400 San Gabriel CSC. I will be a primarily urban rider in a city where bikes are at risk for theft, a major reason no to go with a brand name bike that may attract attention to thieves.

#2 ·
Look up ChopperCharles on the forum. He has/has had some Chinese bikes and posts real owner reports on the likes, dislikes, issues and such.
I think he has a 400 San Gabriel.
People went through the "it's all junk" hate of Japanese products at one time as well. And we know how that turned out.

#5 ·
I've been looking at the CSC 400 San Gabriel and the 250 Cafe Racer and do not know which of the two would be a good fit. I'm 5'7, 165lbs. I'm encountering a lot of Chinese product bashing in my research which seems to be counter to many of the reviews I've read on Chinese motorcycle advancements, including from reviewing feedback in this venue, they border on racist perspectives.
It seems that CSC is just an importer with their name stuck on some motorcycles from China.

It would be worth your while to find out which company manufactures the original motorcycle, and then research that company.

For example, I have bought two motorcycles which are labeled 'Rusi' (Philippines import company), however they are manufactured by Loncin, a well established Chinese company which manufactured BMW800 engines under licence.

Once I found that out, I had no hesitation buying the bikes. One is now 5 years old and has never let me down.

If CSC has many outlets and some kind of warranty and parts back up for their bikes, then I would say, go for it.

Keep us posted.

#7 ·
Yeah, Rusi even has 'Rusi' imprinted into the alloy engine covers. It's all about some ASEAN tax thing. The bikes are manufactured in China, shipped in parts to the Phils and then assembled here as a local product, thus reducing import duties.

They have an 'assembled in the Philippines' plaque on the frames.

Maybe there is a similar tax evasion/write off in the USA.

Having said that - as stated: I would want to know the originating company (for the CSC bikes) before I bought one.

#8 · (Edited)
The CSC would be the same as the Mash 400 that has been sold in France and the UK for several years. I believe they are made by Chonqing Xinyuan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.