Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is technically the wrong part of the forum for this type of request but I think I will get more replies in this area. I am a long term Lurker who has finally decided to pull the trigger and buy a bike to start the dream of riding a cafe racer. Unfortunately, I have been looking for a suitable bike in my area for the last 3 months and have not been able to find one. So I have stopped lurking and decided to post to ask for your help.

I am a law student in Morgantown WV (26505) and I am looking for anything that can be upgraded into a café. It does not have to run, it does not have to be close to cosmetically pretty, and it does not even have to have 2 wheels at the moment. I am looking for a cheap bike (under a thousand and the cheaper the better) that I can repair/upgrade into a café. I am willing to travel 100 miles to get it and I hope you guys can help. If not, no worries, I am sure I will find something someday.

Thanks for reading and I hope you have a good day.

John

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I started my h1 project while I was in Law school. It is still not done.

do yourself a couple of favors:

1) never announce that you are a lawyer or law student on a public forum. Espically DO NOT attempt to give legal advice or pretent to know what you are talking about. It never ends well. If you feel the need, remember to couch it with this is "just my opinion" or "I am not familar with X but how I think it might work is...". (the only reason I did it here is I know most of these people in real life and they know what I do).

2) Focus on being first in your class and not the bikes. Seriously. I am not fucking around about this. Given the market right now you will not have a decent job without being somewhere in the top 10%. Once you ae making the bigs bucks in a white shoe as a first year you can buy all the cafe bikes you want.

3) if you can't be disuaded, don't buy cheap. Buy the best bike you can and use it while you upgrade it. I used my h1 and then my cb550 as transportation while I worked on them. DO NOT BUY PROJECTS, you don't have the time no matter how you think you do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, but I never plan on being a lawyer, so I tend to keep my opinions to myself. And thank you for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hahaha no crippling debt here. In state tuition of less than 8 grand and scholarships means I am getting my law degree for less than I got my high school degree. Besides, the market is flooded with 100,000 recent law school grads every year, why try to make it in a profession with numbers like that and where the average first year salary is only about $50,000?

On top of that, I already have a brother and a sister who are lawyers. Plus I have never met a happy lawyer in my life. So I'll get the degree and the ability to sue someone without the crushing sense of unhappiness inherent in the profession (unless you do non-profit stuff).

Pamp, where are you located? And what make/model is the bike?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts