Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a new frame we have just made to take the hinkley triumph engine we are building .we made it so it will allso take the oil coold gsxr 750 and 1100 engines and the harley davidson sportster engines as we are building 2 bikes .it will allso take more engines . as it is 40mm taler then the standar frame and is 10" wide at the rear .all in all it turnd out well .will post more picks as the build moves on





thers more stuff we are building on the new blog http://walkerbrotherscaferacer.blogspot.co.uk/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
More importantly - I don't see any of the necessary bracing to make a featherbed handle. Stock the frame wasn't as good as everybody has been led to believe, I needs a few braces to make it a world beater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

More importantly - I don't see any of the necessary bracing to make a featherbed handle. Stock the frame wasn't as good as everybody has been led to believe, I needs a few braces to make it a world beater.
the frame as no bracing in ther yet thers still more to do to the frame ;0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote:Originally posted by OC Steve

How does your new frame compare to the stock Hinckley frame in handling? And in weight?
weight is far less then the Hinckley frame .as for handling we are hoping to have a track say bike up and running this year ;0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
Dave Deegans from Dresda makes an FB that fits a cb750 engine. what's really sad is he had an amazing frame design for the SOHC in the 70's that there just isn't call for these days:



Other engines that usually will fit a stock norton FB without significant modification to the structure:

- old triumph/BSA parallel twins and triples


- Vincent Single (the twin will go in as well but it is significantly more work because of the rear cylinder)


- Ironhead Harley sportster motor (flathead K-bike mills as well but no big twins)


- xs650 (but it looks goofy)



The air/oil cooled gsxr is interesting. I have seen one before but as far as modern sport bike mills, that is one that I would really be chuffed to see.

I have seen enough new bonnie motors in FB's to be bored of them already (someone is already cranking out the frame but I forget who).

walker bros: good work but you have a long way to go. I never understand why people post pics of stuff this early in the project. there is not enough meat there to get excited about and you'll invaribly draw "you are doing it wrong" kind of comments. Honestly even I am like "you need bracing" for it because there are so many FB knock offs out there.

Just once I would like to see a seely cb750 (Kenny Cummings does norton seelys), or a Martin Framed something, or even some of the old rickmans done over in cromoly.

still, keep up the good work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the comments on the frame .this is the frame now olding the gsxr1100 engine we have 2 frames now made one for me and one for my brother .i will be starting the gsx r build in the next week or 2 .i will post picks as this bike moves on .im allso finishin my sportster cafe build and triumph bobber .so i do have a bit going on just now ;)



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
422 Posts
Would the Featherbed frame be better than a stock air/oil cooled GSXR frame? I like the idea of experimenting with more "modern" engines in different frames but the GSXR engine in that frame just looks wierd. Still would like to see more pics as thr project progresses though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,303 Posts
Short answer: no. Although early gsxrs suffer from weave problems, the FB was not designed to handle anywhere near what a gsxr makes. This is more about making a FB insanely fast than making a gsxr a better bike.

I was in until I saw the crappy Firestone shit hoops. All show no go vintage tires means all show no go bike. Fee god sakes walker, put some decent shoes on that thing before you hurt yourself pulling out the parking lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,412 Posts
That air/oil gixxer donk will turn that frame into warm spaggetti rather quickly.

That dresda honda frame looks the tits and that Vincent single is one of the prettier things i've seen in awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
quote:Originally posted by walker brothers


I have had a smoldering desire to build something like this for years now. I've got one more bike to finish before I could even think of starting on one though, and with how long things take me to do these days I'm thinking the Snortster is never going to happen...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
quote:Originally posted by Big Bad Bob Dog

That air/oil gixxer donk will turn that frame into warm spaggetti rather quickly.

That dresda honda frame looks the tits and that Vincent single is one of the prettier things i've seen in awhile.
its made of 3mm cds steel mate thers no spaggetti going on we this frame ;):D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

Short answer: no. Although early gsxrs suffer from weave problems, the FB was not designed to handle anywhere near what a gsxr makes. This is more about making a FB insanely fast than making a gsxr a better bike.

I was in until I saw the crappy Firestone shit hoops. All show no go vintage tires means all show no go bike. Fee god sakes walker, put some decent shoes on that thing before you hurt yourself pulling out the parking lot.
haha i allso have a 17" rear wheel on its way so i can put some difrent hoops on it if i dont like the fierstones .and thanks for the comments on [8D]
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top