Cafe Racer Forum banner

New Race Bike

3K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  JD 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I don't know how light it is but it seems to weigh a ton when I went to move it, but I did get up before 11:00am today so my body was still trying to adjust. I found it in my shop. I woke up went to work and when I opened the door, there it was. My boss is very cool. If you tell Paula this, maybe she will start putting motorcycle stuff in your office.

#6 ·
Hello Ray and Jen,
The frame is a 1965 Norton Featherbed, and will have a 806cc or a 750cc Triumph motor put in by July. I haven't decided on which motor yet but I'm looking forward to racing it in the Open GP class.
It was really cool seeing guys that day, even though Jen was a little under the weather. Your bike looks different everytime I see it, and I do like the flames. Have you, your bike, or Jen been in any more magazines lately?

Aaron

Joe, no offense but Rays wife is better advertising than you are.

#7 ·
quote:
looks light :)

thats sweet! where'd you find it?
Stock Triumph frame is 45 pounds with no swing arm

Stock Oil n' Frame is 44 pounds with no swing arm

Feather bed was 49 pounds with swing arm and shocks. Not bad, although always hoping for lighter. Seems to be real light if handling is figured in to the package deal.

#8 ·
quote:
Hello Ray and Jen,
The frame is a 1965 Norton Featherbed, and will have a 806cc or a 750cc Triumph motor put in by July. I haven't decided on which motor yet but I'm looking forward to racing it in the Open GP class.
It was really cool seeing guys that day, even though Jen was a little under the weather. Your bike looks different everytime I see it, and I do like the flames. Have you, your bike, or Jen been in any more magazines lately?

Aaron

Joe, no offense but Rays wife is better advertising than you are.
Lets try this again. Please place the word "you" between seeing and guys.

#9 ·
Aaron,
Naw, no more magazines for us. That experience was just way too painful, dealing with those morons from the magazine and all the shit we had to put up with just to get a couple of copies and a t-shirt. After I told a bunch of people how poorly they had treated us, never delivering what they promised without so much bitching, then the editor started insulting Jen and my bike, saying she looks like a horse and the bike is the ugliest thing he has ever seen. We don't bother with those people anymore. Thanks for the compliments on the flames, did it myself in the backyard with some masking tape and a couple of rattle cans of Krylon. Going to work on putting the springer front end on if I can ever save up some money to get the front wheel from hutch, he says it is like $250 bucks. Bike is leaking like a mutherfucker, but I can't really complain cause it sat upside down in a milk crate for almost a year and a half. You can't expect seals to hold up being abused like that. I just ride it like hell every now and again, and don't worry about the oil.

#10 ·
quote: Stock Triumph frame is 45 pounds with no swing arm

Stock Oil n' Frame is 44 pounds with no swing arm

Feather bed was 49 pounds with swing arm and shocks. Not bad, although always hoping for lighter. Seems to be real light if handling is figured in to the package deal.
thats not bad, but I was joking about it being light (for a racebike there ain't much on it, get it)

#11 ·
quote:
Aaron,
Naw, no more magazines for us. That experience was just way too painful, dealing with those morons from the magazine and all the shit we had to put up with just to get a couple of copies and a t-shirt. After I told a bunch of people how poorly they had treated us, never delivering what they promised without so much bitching, then the editor started insulting Jen and my bike, saying she looks like a horse and the bike is the ugliest thing he has ever seen. We don't bother with those people anymore. Thanks for the compliments on the flames, did it myself in the backyard with some masking tape and a couple of rattle cans of Krylon. Going to work on putting the springer front end on if I can ever save up some money to get the front wheel from hutch, he says it is like $250 bucks. Bike is leaking like a mutherfucker, but I can't really complain cause it sat upside down in a milk crate for almost a year and a half. You can't expect seals to hold up being abused like that. I just ride it like hell every now and again, and don't worry about the oil.
Thats funny that they acted like that after they put your shit in the mag and gave you credit in the article. Its not the same mag it used to be anyway. Keep ride'n it like hell, it always makes me feel better. I'm hoping to have new tyres on my 64 along with the original carb by the end of this week, I'm feeling a little bit hipocritical about having a Mikuni on there.

Aaron - Hater of pagans

#12 ·
Aaron,
What does "Hater of Pagans" mean? My Uncle Frank was a Pagan in PA for years, but he is retired now. BTW- if ya really wanna freak out the vintage crowd, I am running origional tires from 71, direct from the factory and never left the rims. Still say "Made In Great Britian" on the Dunlops. We are working on subletting the store's space, then hopefully it is off to Vegas to be a crap dealer. California can suck a fart out of my ass....

#13 ·
amen brother. i have the original tyres on my bonneville. and the original made in england rims. (i think they are dunlop rims no??)
ahhh....its so nice with my boyer bolted up to it!!! actually the tires ride like shit on ice. but i can tell you this much, i can smoke the hell out of it!!! that thing is so hard it spins with out thinking about it!

i do have a new round front one on there now but i still have the original. I also have one the guy gave me from it that was a goodyear. i dont think they make it anymore. its crap anyway...

later
joe c

#15 ·
Yeah Joe... Hows that work? Do you time it from the air nozzle?

Ray,
I was kind of making fun of myself. I'm always preaching the British Gospel, but I have a Mikuni carb on my bike. It was supposed to be hypocritical and funny, but I guess it was only funny on my screen. You know like Joe, he sees different things on his screen too.

Aaron

#16 ·
ha ha....i wish i could see something different on my screen. that piece of british crap probably would time better if i bolted the boyer right to the rim! so i guess i should pose this question, if you really are a purist, is it ok to run electronic iggy??? i mean its made in england, but is it still ok?? Are you running electronic iggy on your race bike aaron?? actually my triumph is really reliable, starts everytime, even with the AniMALS. exept for now because i still havent fixed it from its last exorcism. i took off my mikunis too. i gave them to mike. they were too small anyway. its funny because i was asking some of the brit guys about running mikunis on the brit race bikes at the track. it seems to me that i see alot of amals there. but i had always heard it was a period thing to do, switch to mikunis. and when i got my bike it had them on there. i ditched mine because hutch told me to. (then i bought them from moores cycle supply. arent i a dick??) its all the wiring flopping around back there that actually makes my rear tire so easy to spin. and yes, there is something atractive about riding around on tires almost as old as i am. as long as you dont exceed 65 mph, everything feels just fine. its when you start to enter the 75 mph zone that things start getting really wierd. but i dont do that any more. also when youre trying to keep up with all of your buddies who are riding things like cb900's and r100's and other near 1ltr bikes it gets weird. i stopped doing that too.

later
jc

#19 ·
Aaron
Hope you didn't think I was badgering you about that comment, I figured it wasn't what I alluded to. And by the way, FUCK PURISM!!! You build your bike to be as fast and reliable as possible, (in my case you also have to factor in weird looking) for as cheap as possible. Gotta admit I run a rear tire that isn't origional, that stays in my garage, but the front one is. The Boyer/Tymp setup is the greatest thing to ever happen to Britbikes, I have never had to fuck with mine in almost five years now, and never had more than two kicks to start it, provided it wasn't some other major fuckup. The rust Harley coil and a battery heavy's the setup a little, but I will roast most older bikes with it. The response is nearly instant. Gonna switch to a monobloc from the concentric that I run now, but I have to figure out a clearance problem with the oil filter mount. The mono is a way hotter carb setup, and with a bowl extension, things get even more fun. Gotta go to work, talk to ya guys later.

#20 ·
yeah aarons already got some weird looking thing called a sears roebuck gilera wanna-be. i wouldnt buy tools from sears much less an entire motorcycle, well, ok, you got it for free, and it runs. he still doesnt like you, he told me he gave it to you to get you out of his hair, ok i know he doesnt have anymore. here we go again, back to body hair shaving!!

later boys
jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.