Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think you could make a neat cafe racer out of this?

1000cc's. The press release says it will debut at the Tokyo motorcycle show this month.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ya know, it's not *that bad* although why the Vtwin instead of reaching back to the XS650 Roots and going parallel? Actually, I'm OK with the twin. Nothing wrong there. Is that an oil cooler between the frame rails below the case? I kind of like the contoured airbox assembly.

The exhaust is a bit stylized for my tastes, but the basic machine seems to have pretty good proportions for a cafe style bike.

1000cc's is prolly too big an "ask" for a kick starter. To me? kick start is kind of important, but I'm a Luddite by nature.

Nice Find!

Adam

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quote:
gay.
OK, maybe the front fender, the foofy little oval exhaust outlet, the satin pink paint job, and the name on the tank ("sakura" means "cherry blossom" in Japanese) are a little fem. But I'd get rid of those things anyway. Then I'd put a fuel tank, seat and front fender like this on it:

Edited by - steve barker on Oct 18 2007 12:17:11 AM

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Who gives a crap about how it looks (given my ugly mug, this is my motto), how does the bike handle? I want to see specs.

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I take it back....Liberace would call anyone who rides that a fag.

As far as I know the bike is a 1000cc v-twin making somewhere between 65-85 hp (depending on the source of the info). No idea what the weight is. I imagine it will have all the performance of a hd sportster (which isn't really that bad when you think about it).

as far as keeping with the spirit of the original XS's I think it does. The Original XS was an obvious ripoff of a Brit parallel twin (specifically a triumph bonnie) and this new XS is an obvious ripoff of a Harley sportster (and going after the same market), only it looks like they read that skirtster instead of sportster.

can it be made into a "cafe racer"? well I could make my lawnmower into a cafe racer if I really wanted to so there is the obvious answer. However if you buy a new bike, the frist things you should want to do to it should not involve a complete respray of evey major surface.

I don't even like black bikes and I think that thing needs to be black and buthced up a little.

No that is not an oil cooler between the frame rails, it is a finned portion of the case.

I do happen to like the brown seat and grips though. and the headlight is really cool. The color is god awful and the thing has all that painted on chrome paint that makes it look like it was built by a chinese scooter company.

considering the market they are going for, it is entirely possible we will get this bike...but I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
194 Posts
first thing i thought: headlight is cool and proportions seem nice.

i didn't even notice the color until someone mentioned it, and then after i thought about how hot my green eyed brunette would look chasing the wind on this thing..... she wants my FT but she also like that style of bike. the bonies (new or old), smaller sportsters, and she has a penchant for a 77 superglide (or something) for sale in my area.... damn, i like that gurl.

CB650, FauxCatiFT500

Edited by - jb on Oct 18 2007 10:57:48 AM

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The Japanese have an odd perspective on some things.........

However, if this thing were say dark metallic blue with some kind of graphic stripe, short reverse chrome megs and flat bars most of you (Geeto included methinkst) would be spewing all over yourselves.

...and i mean that in the nicest way! hehe

Short the odd (for the American market) color scheme and dorky looking mufflers I think it's a decent looking bike.

Consider:
Heavy metallic blue over silver paint, say a chrome 'racing stripe', bobbed off rear fender and lose the wavy grab bar, a set of flat bars or mild clip-ons and some stubby mufflers and it would a pretty cool ride.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

Edited by - Swagger on Oct 18 2007 4:39:02 PM

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
At first glance I liked it, but then realized there was something subtle wrong with it. Too rounded or something, too soft. Overall has a "muscle" look, but then when you look longer it's too refined, too sissy.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
It could very well be this particular bike is not intended for the barrel chested he-men of this board but for people like Jersey Girl and her sistas.... I remember reading the number of women getting their motorcycle licenses is steadily on the rise here in the USA. More women on motorcycles will hopefully equal fewer women on cell phones in their SUVs. So we all kinda win!

Jim

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
It could very well be this particular bike is not intended for the barrel chested he-men of this board but for people like Jersey Girl and her sistas.... I remember reading the number of women getting their motorcycle licenses is steadily on the rise here in the USA. More women on motorcycles will hopefully equal fewer women on cell phones in their SUVs. So we all kinda win!

Jim
Last time I checked Jim, I was pretty sure "Jersey Girl" could take you....(It's the power of being named Kerry, but that's our little secret). She's tough.

smoething I shold add here, the news reports on this bike quote yamaha stating that this is not a concept but a pre-production prototype. Whether it actually makes production is another story.

The bike is obviously for a female demographic (which has also been on the rise for HD's sportster), but we are hotrodder's and men which means we'd probably take a torch and soup up the powerwheels barbie SUV if someone dropped one in our driveway. I bet we would even try to ride it too.

If it was a different color and a little less femmy I would praise yamaha for rediscovering the suefulness and appeal of the "standard" motorcycle, something that died right around 1982.Even the way it is I dig that yamaha is in touch with the marketplace and willing to take a risk on that bike. I don't think I would blow my load for one mostly because I bought my new retro bike (ducati) and I friggin love it. I did drop my goo for the W650 in green and cream when it came out but I was a broke Grad school student at the time and could only afford cb750s. As an aside some of the cb750s I bought in those days are now worth about the same as a w650.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
quote:
Last time I checked Jim, I was pretty sure "Jersey Girl" could take you....(It's the power of being named Kerry, but that's our little secret). She's tough.
Maybe I should have put "barrel chested he-men" in quotes.... it was not necessarily a complement. Rather I meant (as you also pointed out)that this bike may be targeted to a different demographic than usual - female motorcyclists (and/or people named Kerry).

I also have no doubt that Jersey Girl could take me (most likely with one arm tied behind her back). But unless I went out of my way to piss her off, I suspect:

1. She's far too nice to kick my ass unprovoked.
2. She has a million better uses for her time
3. She'd worry I'd enjoy the ass whoopin' too much for it to be a proper beating....

Seriously though, more women taking rider ed and/or riding motorcycles can only be a good thing!

Jim

Edited by - diamondj on Oct 19 2007 1:57:45 PM

·
Registered
139 Posts
Speaking of souping up powerwheels, when I was in high school my friends and I took my little brother's powerwheels jeep (he had outgrown it and the battery pack was gone) and threw a 12V car battery up front. Even with all that weight the thing would ride killer wheelies. We had wheelie contests until one motor burnt out, then we removed the battery and rode the thing down a big hill. Eventually one of the front wheels tucked under and that was the end for the powerwheels. Oh, back to the original topic, I like the bike, but it does need the changes already mentioned. If I did have a Sportster it would be cafe'd, so that might explain why I think this thing has potential. Jim

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Babie has an SUV???? I'm there baby.

She's hot...and if you go to prison you can fit her and a couple of nice outfits completely up your butt.

JohnnyB

Edited by - jbranson on Oct 19 2007 04:17:50 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Babie has an SUV???? I'm there baby.

She's hot...and if you go to prison you can fit her and a couple of nice outfits completely up your butt.

JohnnyB

Edited by - jbranson on Oct 19 2007 04:17:50 AM
after the barbie corvette and the barbie porsche became passe' she got herself an SUV so she can shuttle her skanky ass friends (like that easy Madison broad) around to the club and shopping and enimas and such.

Bransons...the real question is how many cigarettes is a barbie worth in the cage? and, more importantly, what outfits would you choose if you were going in for a bid? (kinda like that desert island disc question)

I need to get a life:

http://www.bongonews.com/layout1.php?event=1431

Apparently Ford is no sponsorin' barbie's whorin', That new escape looks much better than her old pink and teal jeep wrangler or the white explorer with the firestone tires:

http://www.toysrus.co.za/barbie4.html

see explorer here:
http://home.cfl.rr.com/cbooher/barbie.html

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think her Skanky friends are the cause of most of her problems in life. Ken dumping her didn't help either.

Yeah, I like the copy for the new Escape...holds four "dolls", yeah as if her friends are "dolls", they aren't dolls, they are skanky wannabe Barbies, nuthin but trash. I'd get her the cool convertible and just the two of us could cruise.

Hmmm...two outfits, well one is a no-brainer, a two piece bathing suit. The other is tough, I'm thinking something innocent, a simple wedding dress, maybe a school uniform, or some basic hot-pants but not too whorish.

Of course if the outfits are going up my butt they'd have to fit in a condom, so the wedding dress might be out.

(See, this thread has morphed into something that new Yamaha would be proud of.)
JohnnyB

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Okay...here is a joke you guys all probably heard before..

I walked into a toy store to buy my daughter a Barbie for her birthday...the sales lady pointed out to me various Barbies. Scuba Barbie was $19.00, Ballroom Dancer Barbie was $19.00, Malibu Barbie $19.00, etc. Then I came across Divorced Barbie, the price was a shocking $399.00. I inquired to the sales woman why it cost so much. In a rather mocking voice she replied, "Because Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's Car, Ken's Apartment, Ken's TV, Ken's Summer Cottage, and Ken's friend G.I. Joe"

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Oct 19 2007 12:41:26 PM

1 - 20 of 31 Posts