Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Recently I have taken the idea of owning a motorcycle more serious since I will be moving to a location that it perfect for riding. I have never had a thing for the current look of racing bikes and am also not a huge fan of harley's or choppers. I do however love the look of the cafe racer and am thinking that I would have a blast riding one around.

Since this is my first bike I am looking to stay below $2000 and am open to suggestion about what bike would be the best for a first time rider. I am 6'3", weight 180 pounds, and plan on doing mostly highway/town riding.

I also wouldn't mind getting a project bike to work on instead of a complete.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also wanted to add that I love the look of the 1986 yamaha srx 600 but am not sure if it would be possible to get one for under $2000. Do you guys have any opinions on the srx600?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also wanted to add that I love the look of the 1986 yamaha srx 600 but am not sure if it would be possible to get one for under $2000. Do you guys have any opinions on the srx600?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Personally I would start with a complete, running bike instead of a project. A vintage bike with "cafe" potential is fine as long as it's in safe riding condition. This can be obtained for well under two grand. Get used to how a stock bike runs/handles so that you've got a point of comparison when making future modifications.

The Honda cb's are immensly popular because of their reliability and availability of parts -stock and aftermarket.

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course if one is offered in your area.

If you are serious about buying a bike and learning how to ride and wrench on it, and eventually modify it, then you are in the right place. Most of the folks on here are highly experienced, many of them are vintage racers. Ask intelligent questions and you'll get honest, informative answers. Use the search function to research prior posts that may answer your questions.

I'm a noob as well, a little over a year ago I was in your position and I wish that I had found this sight sooner and followed all the advice that I just gave!

Welcome, best of luck and fill out your bio.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Personally I would start with a complete, running bike instead of a project. A vintage bike with "cafe" potential is fine as long as it's in safe riding condition. This can be obtained for well under two grand. Get used to how a stock bike runs/handles so that you've got a point of comparison when making future modifications.

The Honda cb's are immensly popular because of their reliability and availability of parts -stock and aftermarket.

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding course if one is offered in your area.

If you are serious about buying a bike and learning how to ride and wrench on it, and eventually modify it, then you are in the right place. Most of the folks on here are highly experienced, many of them are vintage racers. Ask intelligent questions and you'll get honest, informative answers. Use the search function to research prior posts that may answer your questions.

I'm a noob as well, a little over a year ago I was in your position and I wish that I had found this sight sooner and followed all the advice that I just gave!

Welcome, best of luck and fill out your bio.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Err, sorry if I rained on anybody's noobie-bashing parade...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Err, sorry if I rained on anybody's noobie-bashing parade...

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If I were just starting out riding (I actually started 43 years ago) and wanted a bike, I would buy a 3 year old Kawasaki Ninja 250. Cheap enough that if you decide you don't like riding not much lost, and it will do 100mph. It would be gas and go. There is nothing more frustrating than having an old bike that isn't ready when you are.

That's why I have several. All are in good order, but if I am working on one, and a friend wants to ride I just jump on another and go. If I had just one bike I would want it to be a newer one.

AS Cafe 350 said. Take the course. I never did- they didn't have anything like that back in "the day"- but two of my riding buddies are new motorcyclists and they took the course and learned a great deal. We are all going to take an advanced riders course next year.

Learn to ride, THEN go out and get an older bike to modifiy and cafe.

Oh, be forwarded. Old bikes are a DISEASE! You can't have just one,......or two. Good Luck. I will agree with cafe that a Honda 350 is a great bike! I have one for sale.......

Expect Tex to come around soon and tell you to fill out your bio! Or beat him to it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
If I were just starting out riding (I actually started 43 years ago) and wanted a bike, I would buy a 3 year old Kawasaki Ninja 250. Cheap enough that if you decide you don't like riding not much lost, and it will do 100mph. It would be gas and go. There is nothing more frustrating than having an old bike that isn't ready when you are.

That's why I have several. All are in good order, but if I am working on one, and a friend wants to ride I just jump on another and go. If I had just one bike I would want it to be a newer one.

AS Cafe 350 said. Take the course. I never did- they didn't have anything like that back in "the day"- but two of my riding buddies are new motorcyclists and they took the course and learned a great deal. We are all going to take an advanced riders course next year.

Learn to ride, THEN go out and get an older bike to modifiy and cafe.

Oh, be forwarded. Old bikes are a DISEASE! You can't have just one,......or two. Good Luck. I will agree with cafe that a Honda 350 is a great bike! I have one for sale.......

Expect Tex to come around soon and tell you to fill out your bio! Or beat him to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you guys for all of the reply's.

JackC, I had someone recommend the ninja 250 to me but I am not a fan of the "new school" sport bikes. I am also a 19 year old kid who goes to school full time and works part time so I can only afford to buy once. So I want to get a safe old bike that has cafe potential like Cafe250 recommended.

I am new at this and have no idea what I am talking about. So if you think that starting off on a old bike really is not a good idea then I will be sure to listen to that advice.

I'll also update my bio after I get back from class.

Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you guys for all of the reply's.

JackC, I had someone recommend the ninja 250 to me but I am not a fan of the "new school" sport bikes. I am also a 19 year old kid who goes to school full time and works part time so I can only afford to buy once. So I want to get a safe old bike that has cafe potential like Cafe250 recommended.

I am new at this and have no idea what I am talking about. So if you think that starting off on a old bike really is not a good idea then I will be sure to listen to that advice.

I'll also update my bio after I get back from class.

Thanks again

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
all good advice here. buy the srx, but get a gs550 or ex250 or something modern and reliable. spend time in the seat. not in the garage.and msf is a great way to start.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
all good advice here. buy the srx, but get a gs550 or ex250 or something modern and reliable. spend time in the seat. not in the garage.and msf is a great way to start.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by joe c

I am sorry but I don't understand that first part. Is the gs550 a completely different bike? Or is it a newer model of the srx? Same with the ex250?

Also, what does msf stand for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
quote:Originally posted by joe c

I am sorry but I don't understand that first part. Is the gs550 a completely different bike? Or is it a newer model of the srx? Same with the ex250?

Also, what does msf stand for?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pics of my favorite bikes. I would love to own one that looks anything like one of these.

The top one is my favorite out of all three. What type of bike would I have to buy if I wanted the end product to look like the top one?

I know that its far, far away but I would like to have a goal to aim for.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts