Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you guys are on the east coast - but here's an update from here on the left coast.

Bateman Racing sponsored rider Tim O'Mahoney took advantage of his new "Braking by Branson" CB450 front brake this weekend to lower the lap record for the F-160 class to 1:56.6. It had previously been in the 1:58s or 1:59s depending on who you talk to. He was fully 5 seconds/lap faster than the other guys who have bikes built to the same engine spec making the same horsepower (I ought to know, I've had my hands in all 4 motors).

Way to go Tim -

Michael

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
nice work tim.....

pretty good stuff for clever dog too!

cheers to all,

tex

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
nice work tim.....

pretty good stuff for clever dog too!

cheers to all,

tex

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Woohoo!!

(Glad I don't have to pay contingency money)

By the way...it's a testiment to what proper installation of one of my brakes can do. ( Michael did the install).

JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Woohoo!!

(Glad I don't have to pay contingency money)

By the way...it's a testiment to what proper installation of one of my brakes can do. ( Michael did the install).

JohnnyB

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i had heard that guy johnny used to build some fast 160's a while ago.

hey, if no one buys his bike, he wont have a choice but to keep and race it.

jc

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
i had heard that guy johnny used to build some fast 160's a while ago.

hey, if no one buys his bike, he wont have a choice but to keep and race it.

jc

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Johnny's brake work rocks. He did a super nice job on the venting and machine work, and the pads were bedding in perfect after only one session on it. It was easy to set up - most of the work was already done. I machined the nose to get the wheel centered in the forks, made up a new right side spacer in aluminum and did the usual careful set up and installation.

If any of you want brakes that truly rock, I recommend you go straight to Johnny. The pads are really nice too. Tim says it's worth easily twice what he paid.

There's a couple of places at Seattle where you really use the brakes - especially the downhill braking to T3 (what you saw in the early season snow shot I posted earlier in the year). I've managed to fade out a 160 brake late braking deep into that corner, and Tim had been fading his 350 brake every lap before switching to the 450 brake. With the Branson brake he was able to brake crazy late and deep.

But you're right about not using the brakes in general - I watched one of the races from the T5 corner station - Tim's pinned from T4 through T8 without letting off. And he's not sitting up anywhere, doing the classic "crawl under the paint." Watching the race no one else is doing that - I'm thinking with video cameras in 3 or 4 corners I could probably help a lot of folks drop their lap times dramatically.

On these little bikes wind resistance is huge - if you're not on the brakes you need to be hard on the gas, have knees and elbows in and be tucked in with your chin on the tank.

Michael

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Some day before I die I'd like to design a nice, reasonably light, narrow, simple, sturdy 220mm DLS brake for vintage bikes. Not double sides, not 4LS, just a copy of the 305/450 brake in 220mm that weighs now more than 12 lbs complete. Something that could sell for no more than $500 complete.
You'd think with modern manufacturing it could be done. And I don't mean some of the crap Gremica is selling (although they make some nice brakes too).
I've worked on a few designs...but my FeatureCAM always seems to choke on the tool paths and stuff.
Damn shame Honda never put a 220mm DLS on any of their bikes.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
220mm huh? I like it. I'm thinking you'd not be hurting for business if you managed that. How about die casting? It might be able to be cast around the brake liner that way.

I'll help market them if you build them... :)

(I'm working on editing the Bateman Racing website right now as I type)

One of my friends out here is working on foundry patterns for a 305/450 brake plate that has a built in air scoop. It looks really cool. I keep telling him that if it works (and is as strong or stronger than Honda plates) he'll probably sell a bunch of them.

Maybe someday we'll see them.

Michael

·
Registered
216 Posts
I need to make it down there for the races on Sundays. This year I've been busy and haven't made it down to the track yet as I just got back, but I love watching the vintage guys run around there. I can imaging T4 is a lot easier to accept on a lighter little bike with skinny tires. That patch there is so rough...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You'll definitely want to come out for Aug 9/10 weekend - that's our Vintage Days. Lots of vintage racing on Saturday, regular club vintage racing on Sunday.

Michael

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
when i read the cycle news article about the cb 160 business out west, i wished the uscra would do it too. i know fcb is basically the same idea. but the really under powered/high cornering speed idea of racing is my idea of what it's all about. stock honda 160's with no mods, just super prep is the real deal.
-parks

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny you should mention that article - I'm hoping that we'll have another magazine guy out for this vintage weekend to race with us and write about it. There's a good chance it'll work out - I should know by next week.

The bikes really are great to race. And Bridgestone is paying contingency in our class as well. If you're going <really> fast on those tires they start to go away after a couple of races, but you've won plenty of contingency to buy more. If you're not going that fast they last a lot longer. So either way tires are cheap.

The bikes are super simple, and you can literally drag a bike from a barn, get it to run, race prep it and race it. And you'll have someone to race with and have a blast. If you want to take it all apart, spend the time it takes (not much $$ if you do your own labor) to optimize everything, you'll have a great running solid vintage racer that'll last and last as long as you take care of it, and you'll have someone to race with and have a blast. If you really like tuning you can spend a bit more $$ (not a lot), build a faster bike, and you'll have someone to race with and have a blast.

The battle for 12th place is fought just as hard as the battle for first and second, and everyone has a blast.

Michael
www.batemanracing.com

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
By the way - no club created the class, we created it ourselves. So there's nothing to stop four or five of you (or more) from dragging a bunch of 160s or 175s out from the weeds and make racers out of them. Virtually every club has some form of 250 vintage class that they fit in. If you want your own class do it yourself - keep track of points yourself and create your own championship series within the club. It's ideal if you all race more than one club - use races from both clubs to tally total points for the series.

Keep your own tech and your own rules. Ours are even codified as a gentleman's agreement - our 'rules' say that no protests will be heard and no one will be inspected - if you cheat you're just a cheater and we don't care. Do your own trophies and trophy presentation. If you show a few folks how fun and cheap it is to race these bikes you will likely end up with a whole lot more fairly quickly.

Eventually WMRRA did create a formal class for us as we've grown to 15-30 bikes on the grid every race. There's even a University Honda 160 shootout complete with Lemans start every vintage days.

We've even collected a former club president in our ranks, as well as the current referee. And in OMRRA there are several of the 160 rank on the board.

If any of you guys want help trying to get something going out there let me know and I'll help as much as I can.

Michael
www.batemanracing.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts