Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to rebuilding motorcycles. I have ridden a while mostly in my youth and decided I needed a project for my garage. So I settled on a bike rebuild. I recently acquired a 1973 Suzuki GT550 from a basket case and received a frame and a box of parts. I located a parts back in town that had a suitable stater (since the one that came with my frame/parts was not serviceable). Any tips or suggestions on how to make this rebuild go smoothly?

IMG_2275.JPG

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Blake, that's some project you dove into ;) I'd start by turning that kickstart lever around, it won't work very well that way.

Seriously though, what does the parts bike look like, I think I'd take apart everything that the PO put together on that one and start from scratch. Step 1 obtain a service manual. Step 2 to 100 service the forks, replace the wheel bearings, possibly the steering head bearings and swingarm bushings, that chain is probably garbage but the best way to know would be to lay a new one along side it and see how much it is stretched. I'd probably disassemble the brakes and rear shocks to inspect and clean them up …. pretty much build as complete a motorcycle out of 2 piles of parts as possible. + Remember to buy lottery tickets, you might get lucky.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The backwards kickstarter is the 1st thing I noticed also, ya alot of bikes are compatible or easily made compatable, I used an old katana and gsxr for donor parts. Swingarm front end disk brakes etc. Lots of bikes have cool parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts