Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, Im new to the forum and building cafe bikes. I am very used to restoring old cars and working on dirt bikes. I am very skilled with tools and have everything but a lathe to build parts.
I just got an 81' CM400C for free from my neighbor that has been sitting for around 5 years. I am in the process of tearing it down and getting it running again, and after that work on building it into a cafe bike.
I know that these are not the best for a cafe build, but a free bike is a free bike. Just wanted to see about resources that people know for parts, conversions, upgrades, and just general knowledge.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
tearing it dowm to get it running?

search is your friend......
it will help you in getting to know newbie mistakes and the CM....

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
tearing it dowm to get it running?

search is your friend......
it will help you in getting to know newbie mistakes and the CM....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaguar: Im not doing a complete tear down, just simple stuff like tank and seat removal, checking electrical connections, and cleaning repacking bearings. Im not planning on removing the engine, but I am going to take the carbs off to clean and rebuild. There is an gas smell in the engine so Im going to do a compression check and if needed replace the rings. Thanks for the advice on the search.

Dielectic: good story, I see what you mean. It would be a good idea to repair the bike to sell it. I have some thinking to do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jaguar: Im not doing a complete tear down, just simple stuff like tank and seat removal, checking electrical connections, and cleaning repacking bearings. Im not planning on removing the engine, but I am going to take the carbs off to clean and rebuild. There is an gas smell in the engine so Im going to do a compression check and if needed replace the rings. Thanks for the advice on the search.

Dielectic: good story, I see what you mean. It would be a good idea to repair the bike to sell it. I have some thinking to do...

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SMC

*gas smell in the engine oil
Needle probably stuck while sitting. Unless it's been ran a lot that way no biggy. Hard on the cams and whatnot first.

What have you had for cars/dirtbikes? What abilities do you have?

You've got one of the least loved bikes in the universe. That's cool it was free. You may find out there's nothig more expensive than a free bike, but that's cool too. Just a little life lesson. The best thing is that there's nothing you can do to fuck it up. Lose interest, throw it in a dumpster, no one will fault you for it. That right there's liberating.

Post pics.

Welcome.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
quote:Originally posted by SMC

*gas smell in the engine oil
Needle probably stuck while sitting. Unless it's been ran a lot that way no biggy. Hard on the cams and whatnot first.

What have you had for cars/dirtbikes? What abilities do you have?

You've got one of the least loved bikes in the universe. That's cool it was free. You may find out there's nothig more expensive than a free bike, but that's cool too. Just a little life lesson. The best thing is that there's nothing you can do to fuck it up. Lose interest, throw it in a dumpster, no one will fault you for it. That right there's liberating.

Post pics.

Welcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ken: Thanks for the advice, Ive restored a '68 ford mustang and a '67 chevelle. I have lots of experience working with dirt bikes mostly two strokes, as I used to ride them a lot in the desert. I had a YZ250 and an XR600 that I worked on.

Texmawby: I wish I could afford a boat, but they are bigger money pits than bikes. You know boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ken: Thanks for the advice, Ive restored a '68 ford mustang and a '67 chevelle. I have lots of experience working with dirt bikes mostly two strokes, as I used to ride them a lot in the desert. I had a YZ250 and an XR600 that I worked on.

Texmawby: I wish I could afford a boat, but they are bigger money pits than bikes. You know boat stands for Bust Out Another Thousand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts