Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. I had a couple questions i will soon be taking my Honda Cj360 on a long ride from portland oregon down to fortworth texas i was wondering what kind of suggestions you would have for me on this ride. its a great running bike and ive done all the work myself and am confident with the work but i dont want to sell it and dont have the money for a moving van so now its time to rough it for 6-10 days and make it happen. so and advice would be great
thanks everyone and here is my bike.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Change the oil before you go, use 10w/40 motorcycle specific oil.
don't rev it too hard or it will destroy cam bearings.
Be careful warming up not to use too much throttle/rpm

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Change the oil before you go, use 10w/40 motorcycle specific oil.
don't rev it too hard or it will destroy cam bearings.
Be careful warming up not to use too much throttle/rpm

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
carry with you:

1. two inner tubes (at least) with tire irons. practice changing a tire with tire irons a couple of times before you leave. Also a small bottle of compressed air if you can't find a shop with free air. Come to think of it add quarters to that list.

2. Go to radio shack and get a cigarette lighter adapter and make it so it can screw into your battery. You don't have to install it but ideally you want to be able to charge your phone if you are traveling through the plains or the desert, break down, and find your phone is dead.

3. carry an ipod or fm radio. it gets really boring riding out there. Having something FM capable is nice because you get weather reports.

4. rain gear. This can literally be a poncho you made out of a garbage bag, but you can get soaked and not dry out for days, plus the wind running over your soaked body and the desert night air are a recipe for getting sick.

5. tools. at the very least everything that comes in your bikes stock tool kit but better. add to that a mallet, some electrical connectors, some bailing wire, silicone, pliers, and an adjustable wrench.

unit - portland OR, to Dallas, Tx is 2100 miles give or take a couple.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
carry with you:

1. two inner tubes (at least) with tire irons. practice changing a tire with tire irons a couple of times before you leave. Also a small bottle of compressed air if you can't find a shop with free air. Come to think of it add quarters to that list.

2. Go to radio shack and get a cigarette lighter adapter and make it so it can screw into your battery. You don't have to install it but ideally you want to be able to charge your phone if you are traveling through the plains or the desert, break down, and find your phone is dead.

3. carry an ipod or fm radio. it gets really boring riding out there. Having something FM capable is nice because you get weather reports.

4. rain gear. This can literally be a poncho you made out of a garbage bag, but you can get soaked and not dry out for days, plus the wind running over your soaked body and the desert night air are a recipe for getting sick.

5. tools. at the very least everything that comes in your bikes stock tool kit but better. add to that a mallet, some electrical connectors, some bailing wire, silicone, pliers, and an adjustable wrench.

unit - portland OR, to Dallas, Tx is 2100 miles give or take a couple.

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
put the stock bars back on it because with the drag bars and stock peg locations you will hate that thing by the time you get into nevada.

it is a torture rack right now.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
put the stock bars back on it because with the drag bars and stock peg locations you will hate that thing by the time you get into nevada.

it is a torture rack right now.

tex

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
take a hard look at all the cables, replace all the juices before you go. last long ride I took required a road side valve adjustment, so I'd recommend getting comfortable w/ that procedure as well. ear plugs are a must for me, wind noise can cause fatigue. I guess you can add hydration to that list as well especially where you are headed. lots of endurance riders run with camelbacks or something similar. have a great run, welcome to the board. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
take a hard look at all the cables, replace all the juices before you go. last long ride I took required a road side valve adjustment, so I'd recommend getting comfortable w/ that procedure as well. ear plugs are a must for me, wind noise can cause fatigue. I guess you can add hydration to that list as well especially where you are headed. lots of endurance riders run with camelbacks or something similar. have a great run, welcome to the board. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Get a sheepskin pad for the seat and a big bottle of talcum powder.

BCR is right about the earplugs. That looks loud and the constant drumming will really get to your ears.

If you are going into the real high mountains that could cause getting issues--someone that know such things will chime in here on that.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Get a sheepskin pad for the seat and a big bottle of talcum powder.

BCR is right about the earplugs. That looks loud and the constant drumming will really get to your ears.

If you are going into the real high mountains that could cause getting issues--someone that know such things will chime in here on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone so much for all the tips. Ill be sure to take all of them into account. Alot of people ive talked to just think im crazy but i just see a journey that most people like me would have a great time. a bag of tools and all the suggested items. a one person tent, sleeping bag and just making it happen. sounds like a great time. Anyone on the forums ever done anything similar? Also the route i believe i am taking is from portland across i-84 down threw boise and and salt lake city down into flagstaff (meeting a friend out there) then from flag staff to texas.

Thanks again for all the advice

J

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone so much for all the tips. Ill be sure to take all of them into account. Alot of people ive talked to just think im crazy but i just see a journey that most people like me would have a great time. a bag of tools and all the suggested items. a one person tent, sleeping bag and just making it happen. sounds like a great time. Anyone on the forums ever done anything similar? Also the route i believe i am taking is from portland across i-84 down threw boise and and salt lake city down into flagstaff (meeting a friend out there) then from flag staff to texas.

Thanks again for all the advice

J

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I put over 50K on my CB400f including a WI to FL trip and WI to DC trips. I also rode my SR 500 from WI to NC, so I have done a few long trips on small bikes. If you have the time, stay off the freeway as much as possible, stop at small town cafes if you can, the pie is usually worth it along with the lunch special. If you have friends along the way, make time to visit for the shower, bed and food. Check your oil level every time you stop for gas and do a thorough check every morning before you start the day's ride.

Ken

1 - 20 of 63 Posts