Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I put over 50K on my CB400f including a WI to FL trip and WI to DC trips. I also rode my SR 500 from WI to NC, so I have done a few long trips on small bikes. If you have the time, stay off the freeway as much as possible, stop at small town cafes if you can, the pie is usually worth it along with the lunch special. If you have friends along the way, make time to visit for the shower, bed and food. Check your oil level every time you stop for gas and do a thorough check every morning before you start the day's ride.

Ken

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
chain tension. be sure to check that regularly.

id suggest 20/50 in the box.

tubes for sure. extra cables are easy to tuck away too. levers. never know when you might find it lying on its side with a broken lever.

my buddy alex just did baltimore to austin and back on a kz900 he just bought. with an open meg. i told him it would drive him nuts. first thing he asked when he got back, how do i make a baffle for this thing?

rubber bands on the bars, for holding stuff. i like the little metal clips you find at office supply places too.

cheap rain gear. pants too. its hot. but it does keep you dry.

radio/ipod

sounds fun.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
chain tension. be sure to check that regularly.

id suggest 20/50 in the box.

tubes for sure. extra cables are easy to tuck away too. levers. never know when you might find it lying on its side with a broken lever.

my buddy alex just did baltimore to austin and back on a kz900 he just bought. with an open meg. i told him it would drive him nuts. first thing he asked when he got back, how do i make a baffle for this thing?

rubber bands on the bars, for holding stuff. i like the little metal clips you find at office supply places too.

cheap rain gear. pants too. its hot. but it does keep you dry.

radio/ipod

sounds fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Cool thanks alot I fly out from texas to oregon to go mail some stuff back down to texas and to do a tune up on the bike and head out on the 12th of next month. Ill take photos of the journey along the way and be sure to post them. Anyone know any camping suggestions threw those areas? Im looking forward to the experience me and a bike no time limit just camping out along the way

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cool thanks alot I fly out from texas to oregon to go mail some stuff back down to texas and to do a tune up on the bike and head out on the 12th of next month. Ill take photos of the journey along the way and be sure to post them. Anyone know any camping suggestions threw those areas? Im looking forward to the experience me and a bike no time limit just camping out along the way

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I like to put locking nuts on anything that might vibrate loose (because it will) and a little loctite (blue) never hurt either.

how sure are you about that rear fender?

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I like to put locking nuts on anything that might vibrate loose (because it will) and a little loctite (blue) never hurt either.

how sure are you about that rear fender?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Nope and for any rain encounters i will not be riding. I will not have a time limit or anything on this trip so there will be no need for me to ride while its raining in areas im unfamiliar with. Other than that the fender is super sturdy and also im going to put a small sissy bar on the back to strap everything down too

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Nope and for any rain encounters i will not be riding. I will not have a time limit or anything on this trip so there will be no need for me to ride while its raining in areas im unfamiliar with. Other than that the fender is super sturdy and also im going to put a small sissy bar on the back to strap everything down too

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jdavis0203

you are full of shit. Look at you like you are all cocksure that the weather is under your control. It is called "Caught in the rain" not because the weather gave you a choice. You are going to be riding in areas where you may not see any cover or shelter for 100 miles and you can see the storms coming from 20 miles away. Too little time to get to shelter, enough to buckle down and prepare to make it to the next town. even if you decide to ride out a 5 day deluge you still need a way to get to the shelter that is going to cover you for 5 days. Rain gear is mandatory, not really an option, and if you don't take it with you you are going to be raiding walmarts for it on the way. Also cover everything you are carrying with you in plastic. keeps the water out.

By the way, if you go through the Rockies instead of down and around, you may have to deal with snow. no shit. so bring something warm with you. and the deserts, even in summer drop to freezing at night.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Jdavis0203

you are full of shit. Look at you like you are all cocksure that the weather is under your control. It is called "Caught in the rain" not because the weather gave you a choice. You are going to be riding in areas where you may not see any cover or shelter for 100 miles and you can see the storms coming from 20 miles away. Too little time to get to shelter, enough to buckle down and prepare to make it to the next town. even if you decide to ride out a 5 day deluge you still need a way to get to the shelter that is going to cover you for 5 days. Rain gear is mandatory, not really an option, and if you don't take it with you you are going to be raiding walmarts for it on the way. Also cover everything you are carrying with you in plastic. keeps the water out.

By the way, if you go through the Rockies instead of down and around, you may have to deal with snow. no shit. so bring something warm with you. and the deserts, even in summer drop to freezing at night.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I didnt mean it like that Im saying if i see a storm coming I have a really good tent im not planning on riding in the rain ill stop throw the cover over the bike put up the tent and try to wait it out til its somewhat calm. rain gear will be a definite bring along on the trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I didnt mean it like that Im saying if i see a storm coming I have a really good tent im not planning on riding in the rain ill stop throw the cover over the bike put up the tent and try to wait it out til its somewhat calm. rain gear will be a definite bring along on the trip.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I ask because I'd just hate to see that fender come loose and wedge between the wheel and swingarm. or cut your tire to ribbons.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
I ask because I'd just hate to see that fender come loose and wedge between the wheel and swingarm. or cut your tire to ribbons.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
If it was me I'd use red loctite on any and all fasteners associated with the exhaust system. Lube your chain every day. And I don't know if it applies to your phone but if mine can't find a signal it wears out the battery real fast. You may want to power down the phone when you start the ride in the morning so the battery is still there when you need it. And other than the spares already suggested you may really want to head geeto's advice about proper rain gear. And proper meaning motorcycle specific gear not walmart stuff. That crap will last about five miles. Sounds fun. Good luck.

Craig

21 - 40 of 63 Posts